Dooring - ANOTHER man killed in Melbourne

Aushiker

Re: Dooring - ANOTHER man killed in Melbourne

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:52 pm

il padrone wrote:
Andy wrote:Company Overview
We are not an advocacy,....." http://cycle.org.au/index.php/about-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cycle.org.au has always stressed that they are not an advocacy group. They do not lobby government nor organise BUGS, nor develop major campaighs for legal or facilities change.
Actually what they are saying is they are "We are not an advocacy, we are a few people spread around Australia with an interest in collecting and spreading the good and bad news about Bicycling in this great land" and before this they say "The new voice for Australia's fastest growing community, cyclists. This is not an Advocacy, we are here to help spread information, consult with councils, government and agencies and deliver better outcomes through communication"

None of which say they are not an advocacy group, just that they are not "advocacy" whatever that is meant to mean in this context I have no real idea. Interesting however they are "the new voice ...." and they are a group but as clearly shown by their committees and structure.

As to what advocacy is, the Macquarie dictionary defines advocacy as ...

noun an act of pleading for, supporting, or recommending; active espousal

Now from what the definition says and I read what Cycle say they are about I have no doubt at at all that Cycle is very much about advocacy. I will leave it up to others to form their own views on the role of Cycle and if they support or it not but one thing I am without a doubt about is they are an advocacy group who in their view advocates for and on behalf of cyclists, the "new voice" for those people who choose to ride bycles as they like to say.

Andrew

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:51 pm

I too am somewhat confused in the same way as those above have said. Cycle.org.au consistantly maintain they are not advocacy but it is confusing what their distinction and definition is. I have been in contact with cycle.org.au.

Either way they are the ones spearheading the action ride so they largely have defacto control and to a certain extent that should be respected. Media both print and TV has already been engaged and is espected to be in attendance. The message being expressed should ideally be clear, coherent and largely uniform. If people believe that the current message is not fully suitable then that should be conveyed to cycle.org.au.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Great news already. It is sad that it has taken another tragedy for this to occur but such is the way. (Reactive change isn't just confined to cycling)
Sydney Rd cycling death leads to emergency meeting

An emergency meeting of VicRoads, police, cycling groups, Moreland council and Yarra Trams has been called by a state government minister after the death of a young cyclist on Sydney Road, Brunswick.

The 25-year-old Italian man was cycling along the road on Friday afternoon when a car opened its door in front of him. He hit the door and was thrown under a truck driving next to him.

Brunswick MP and emergency services minister Jane Garrett has called the meeting to discuss how the road can be made safer. Ms Garrett said the community had been gutted by the "absolute tragedy".

Labor last month announced $1.6 million in a bid to reduce cyclist accidents on the stretch of road between Barkly and Albion streets – where the accident occurred.

The money will be spent to upgrade lighting, signs and to ban right turns at a number of intersections.

Greens MP Greg Barber said a Transport Accident Commission style campaign was needed to raise awareness among drivers of "how dangerous it is to fling your door open in front of cyclists".

He compared the accident to the death of James Cross, 22.

Mr Cross died in 2010 when he collided with an open car door in Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, and fell under a passing truck.

The report by Coroner Heather Spooner in 2011 recommended VicRoads implement a TAC-style campaign to raise awareness of "dooring" – this was never done.

"There are about 150 reported dooring accidents a year in police statistics, but any cyclist will tell you that's the tip of the iceberg," Mr Barber said.

In the five years to June 2013 there had been 138 crashes involving cyclists or pedestrians, including two fatalities and 24 serious injuries on the road, Ms Garrett said.

She said the area had the highest density of cyclists of any local-government area.

There is a bike trail that runs parallel to Sydney Road and the train line, and the meeting is set to look at ways to encourage people to use the path.

Ms Garrett said Sydney Road was a complex issue because it had become a popular destination, as well as having a high density of residents, traders and traffic.

The meeting came as a petition to remove parking from a section of Sydney Road in Brunswick gathered hundreds of supporters.

The deadly accident followed a police blitz in December on cyclists who disobeyed road rules along Sydney Road, in response to data that showed it was one of Melbourne's worst stretches for bike crashes.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sydne ... 3s1x8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the rumour milll.... I'm not sure the veracity of this unsubstantiated claim.
12 year old kid did the dooring, not the motorist.
http://www.reddit.com/r/melbourne/comme ... ng/cozqplk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Media reports suggest otherwise. It is not clear from the video if it was a rear door or driver's door.
Last edited by human909 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:You can't have a so-called 1 metre rule and cycling infrastructure that by design puts riders less than a metre away from traffic. It's ridiculous. Get rid of the suicide lanes.
Totally agree Andrew,
I ride the Princes highway between Dandenong and Berwick in Vic. Trucks in particular have a clear mandate to close shave cyclists. And this is traffic at 80 kph. It is an approval for heavy vehicles to mix it with vulnerable cyclists.
Mind you I do try and keep to less busy times.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:01 pm

human909 wrote:In the rumour milll.... I'm not sure the veracity of this unsubstantiated claim.
12 year old kid did the dooring, not the motorist.
http://www.reddit.com/r/melbourne/comme ... ng/cozqplk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Media reports suggest otherwise. It is not clear from the video if it was a rear door or driver's door.
Don't know who pushed it, but from what I can see in the first few seconds of the Ch 9 video it seems to be clearly a front door that is opened.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:16 pm

The Channel 9 report said they were talking to the driver and may charge her. Say What? She broke the law, her breaking of the law caused a death. Why would there be any question about charging the driver?

Those stupid little lanes in door zones should be banned outright. I don't give a crap whether they are legally bike lanes or not, they are clearly death traps and they exist all over Australia. Any council which draws those stupid death traps on a road should be disallowed from charging rates for 12 months. They have to go.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:51 pm

I think the dooring demonstrators should demand that all stakeholders demonstrate experience at actually riding these urban roads.
So the State government minister, senior police, local police, local councilor, town planners, road planners, nearby shop owners, negative motorists, should all submit videos of at least 5 cycling trips on said roads.

Seriously, the deaths and injuries stem from people that make decisions on behalf of cyclists, having virtually no comprehension of the danger, or a pragmatic solution.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:54 pm

Davidsss, we agree on something.... Clearly I'll need to re-examine my position on this as it is possible I am wrong now [emoji14]

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Drizt wrote:Davidsss, we agree on something.... Clearly I'll need to re-examine my position on this as it is possible I am wrong now [emoji14]
One day you will see the light :P

But I do see too many of those lanes around and they are very dangerous and very confusing for drivers.

Still no excuse for not looking when opening a door.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Had to do my usual run on the commute - passing all the station carpark overflow along Mitcham Rd, with the resulting inadequate space for a bike plus cars. I rode just that bit wider today. If the motorists don't like me out in the centre holding them back for a kilomtre or so, then it's tough-titty, I value my life more than your convenience.
Mandatory helmet law?

pacra

Re: Dooring - man killed in Melbourne

Postby pacra » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 pm

il padrone wrote:Pah!! Pedestrian and cycle awareness translates as "the Police fining cyclists for not wearing helmets".

It is motorist awareness and penalties for opening car doors in traffic that is wanted :evil:

Better yet, ban the car-parking on Sydney Rd and see the traders' sales and profits benefit. It has happened in many other cities around the world.
I'm 100% with IP on this.

We are told ad nauseam that red light and speed cameras and booze buses are there to reinforce the education to eradicate motorists' bad behaviours. The revenue aspect is purely incidental to driver re-education. Why then the soft approach on incidents that cause death and injury

Does anyone know how many motorists have been fined as part of their re-education for opening a car door into the path of traffic on a yearly average? The only one I can recall is a poster on these forums and that only after determined persistence on her part. I don't want to start cop bashing, they will argue limited resources. but driver education against dooring sounds like a euphemism for 'too hard'. Officially the term dooring is a no no.

Interestingly on Saturday I was on my way home from work in Glenhuntly Rd, when I saw a car door start to swing open. I yell at the top of my voice 'WATCH THE DOOR' as I do. His response 'get effed c##t'. Short of the Soviet model to re-educate recidivists, how do you gently convince such gentle folk of their errors as if they were naughty infants.

I may be a cynic but I think all that will happen is the cops will go through Sydney Rd, book more cyclists than motorists and then about two months completely forget about it. On the other thousand or so arterials nothing will be done.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 pm

If anywhere there is chance of improvement it is Melbourne's inner north. The council and state MPs genuinely care. Improvement has to spawn from somewhere, let's hope that this results in a positive start.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:14 pm

To apply a Dutch slogan parallel for bicycle revolution - "Stop de deur moorden"

Or perhaps, to honour Alberto, an Italian variant - "Arrestare omicidi della porta"
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:28 pm

il padrone wrote:Or perhaps, to honour Alberto, an Italian variant - "Arrestare omicidi della porta"
Anybody know a source that could get some of these printed as a top tube sized sticker in time?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:09 am

This is an interview WORTH watching. (Once you get through the flashy infographics and the sound bites there is an EXCELLENT interview with Dr Martin, the mother of James Cross.)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=783010078458301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:43 am

Mulger bill wrote:
il padrone wrote:Or perhaps, to honour Alberto, an Italian variant - "Arrestare omicidi della porta"
Anybody know a source that could get some of these printed as a top tube sized sticker in time?
I have no Italian language skills but just checking on Google translate it should be "Arrestare porta omicidi" to be more accurate - Stop the door murders.
Mandatory helmet law?

wellington_street

Re: Dooring - man killed in Melbourne

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 pm

outnabike wrote:
Andy wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:And it comes a day after this announcement of works to improve cycling conditions n Sydney Rd .....

All I see is an excuse to let motorists shave cyclists legally. A legal way of flaunting any one metre rule as well.
AndrewCowley wrote:You can't have a so-called 1 metre rule and cycling infrastructure that by design puts riders less than a metre away from traffic. It's ridiculous. Get rid of the suicide lanes.
The 1m rule still applies, even if the cyclist is in a separate lane.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 pm

il padrone wrote:I have no Italian language skills but just checking on Google translate it should be "Arrestare porta omicidi" to be more accurate - Stop the door murders.
Betraying your nom de plume there, padrone :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:42 pm

il padrone wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
I have no Italian language skills but just checking on Google translate it should be "Arrestare porta omicidi" to be more accurate - Stop the door murders.
I don't think Google translate is getting it quite right.

Missing a 'la' in there for 'the'. And pretty sure the correct word for door in this context is 'portiera'. ie: http://milano.corriere.it/notizie/crona ... 28c1.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Italian article about someone who was killed by car door in Italy in December 2014). The phrase used for car door is 'portiera di un'auto'.

I haven't heard of 'arrestare' being used in the context of stopping something, more like arresting a criminal. I've heard 'smettere' though for stop.

If you were looking for a phrase, maybe 'Smetta gli omicidi dalle portiere di un'auto'. (Stop the murders by car doors - or literally - stop the murders by the doors of a car) Although it doesn't have the same punchy ring as a three word phrase.

Methinks a native Italian-speaking person might be better for a slogan in their language. I'm pretty sure 'arrestare porta omicidi' is grammatically incorrect and makes limited/no sense in Italian (literally it says 'to arrest door murders') :P

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Hmm, a slogan that nobody can agree on the wording of, let alone understand. Sounds like a winner! :)

Sad events. We happened to be in Carlton that day and caught a tram up to Brunswick a couple of hours after this happened. We had no idea about it until the news later that night and there were cyclists everywhere on Sydney Road. I even saw one guy dinking his girlfriend on the top tube.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:23 pm

"Smettere gli porta omicidi" - Stop the door murders
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:25 pm

wellington_street wrote:
il padrone wrote:I have no Italian language skills but just checking on Google translate it should be "Arrestare porta omicidi" to be more accurate - Stop the door murders.
Betraying your nom de plume there, padrone :)
Yep, Italian family background - never picked up the language skills :( . It's a common thing; I have a few friends who have similar backgrounds.
Mandatory helmet law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 pm

il padrone wrote: Yep, Italian family background - never picked up the language skills :( . It's a common thing; I have a few friends who have similar backgrounds.
That is a crying shame :( I'd love to be able to speak another language. Never interested as a kid with a 'strayn background, too time poor and distracted now.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Latest news is showing that speed was not a factor http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-04/c ... ay/6280978

There's a call to make the current 40kph speed limit a 24 hour one http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/nort ... 7248215390

How do speed humps and trams work?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Latest news is showing that speed was not a factor http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-04/c ... ay/6280978

There's a call to make the current 40kph speed limit a 24 hour one http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/nort ... 7248215390

How do speed humps and trams work?
No charges for the driver who doored the cyclist are imminent. :shock: