1 metre rule

human909

Re: 1 metre rule

Postby human909 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:56 am

A non specified safe distance law is entirely workable if you have members of the police and judiciary willing to enforce it. However experience has shown that this is not the case.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:53 pm

human909 wrote:A non specified safe distance law is entirely workable if you have members of the police and judiciary willing to enforce it. However experience has shown that this is not the case.
Yes, a safe distance, is a distance which did not result in a collision occurring. i.e. 1 inch...

Personally I'd prefer it if we scrapped the 1m rule and just ran with the 1.5m. The reason I say this most drivers as a general rule leave around 1.5m anyway, however I ride regularly on some of Brisbane's busiest roads which have 70 or 80kmh speed limits, many people who drive these roads are only aware of the 1m rule and have no idea regarding the increased clearance requirement above 60kmh.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 pm

The safe passing bill is being tabled again but Labour doesn't seem to be playing ball on this one. :evil:

The Herald Sun's coverage is attrocious:

"THE Victorian Greens have reignited their war with motorists by drafting legislation for new road rules that would enshrine a 1m buffer between cars and ­cyclists"

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/drive ... m1a7k.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 7267044026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 pm

That is an absolute rag of a paper. :x
Murdoch needs to hurry up and drop dead.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 pm

warthog1 wrote:That is an absolute rag of a paper. :x
The coverage on East-West link and the newly elected Andrews government has been disgustingly biased even for the Feral Hun standards.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:30 pm

Yes and those standards are pretty damn low.
My industry continues to receive bad press from it as we came out so strongly against the previous government who backed us into a corner. We are seen by them as one of the catalysts for the previous governments demise.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:00 pm

human909 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:That is an absolute rag of a paper. :x
The coverage on East-West link and the newly elected Andrews government has been disgustingly biased even for the Feral Hun standards.
Fauxfacts is no less biased in its treatment of the Federal Government.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:26 pm

There is a chance they will come closer to their incredibly biased treatment of the previous fed gvmt, ("kick this mob out") given Rupert's opposition to the proposed media owner ship law amendments. I would expect the government to accommodate Murdoch's wishes in the end.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Revelatory comments from Daniel Andrews
Mr Andrews said that though he had not seen the detail of the Greens' plan, he was prepared to sit down and talk about how to improve safety.

"We have to change this," he said. "We have to have a situation where we do whatever we can to prevent another death, another tragedy."
RACV general manager public policy Brian Negus said the club had safety issues with the bill....

.....He warned that drivers in some cases would have to change lanes to maintain the buffer zone, and the rules did not take into account cyclists overtaking other riders.
Yes, moron, change lanes if there is not sufficient room to pass safely within one lane (few lanes really have sufficient room). And the proposed rule is a '1.5 m for-cars-passing-bikes' rule, not a '1.5. for-bikes-overtaking-cars' rule.

:roll: :roll: :x
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 pm

So according to the video in that link they say that the 1m rule is for roads limited to 60km or more? And then Carpenter from BV who are against the 1m rule says it's the danger from the front that is the biggest threat to cyclists yet I'm sure there are stats saying that 80% of cyclists are injured by vehicles colliding into the back of them.

I really hope the 1m rule comes into effect. Of course it's difficult to police in some situations but given the large amount of cyclists these days with cameras mounted on the bike it will be easier to get convictions when there are accidents. Not ideal but I would expect this to eventually have a positive effect on the safety of cyclists.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Good old Bicycle Network at it still. :x Occupying the place where cycling advocacy should exist.
They are counter productive to this law gaining traction despite the overwhelming wishes of cyclists :x :x

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:52 pm

Leaf T wrote:I'm sure there are stats saying that 80% of cyclists are injured by vehicles colliding into the back of them.
I don't have stats in front of me but I think BN is closer to the truth on this one. That said from what I understand rear collisions are a great feature of cyclist DEATHS.

(I'm not defending BV. They are just playing a good game of deception.)

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:27 pm

No time to find link but I think in hindsight you're right that it was stats for deaths. I wonder what the stats are for cyclist deaths from on coming vehicles are.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:20 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... mbxkh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A cyclist is fighting for his life after being hit by a car in St Kilda West this morning.

Police believe the cyclist and the car were both travelling towards the city along Beaconsfield Parade when the crashed happened around 11.20am.

The cyclist, believed to be in his late 30s, remains in The Alfred hospital in a critical but stable condition.

The driver of the car, a 63-year-old Bentleigh man, stopped at the scene and was questioned by police. Police have asked anyone who witnessed the crash to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Yet Victoria still doesn't seem any closer to have a 1m rule.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:48 pm

It was a miracle that the one meter law was passed ( Sorry trialled ) in QLD but it's a pity that it's not really enforced. I think other states aren't missing out on much but it is a start for people to push a bit harder in the right direction, I suppose. :(
Last edited by Dragster1 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Dragster1 wrote:It was a miracle that the one meter law was passed in QLD but it's a pity that it's not really enforced. I think other states aren't missing out on much but it is a start for people to push a bit harder I suppose. :(
Yep. Queensland still probably has some of the worsts attitudes towards cyclists, but at least there has been serious recognition from the STATE government on the issue. (Even if there is little else forthcoming) Adelaide and Tasmania seem to follow suit. Victoria is apathetic. NSW and WA state governments seem outright hostile towards cyclists.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:18 am

Dragster1 wrote:It was a miracle that the one meter law was passed ( Sorry trialled ) in QLD but it's a pity that it's not really enforced. I think other states aren't missing out on much but it is a start for people to push a bit harder in the right direction, I suppose. :(
Listen to cyclists from Qld and they are generally saying that the 1m rule HAS made a significant difference in driver perceptions. People are more aware, and passing wider, simply because of all the publicity. Even though prosecutions have been few (but they have occurred, and attained a good deal of publicity as well).

Many of our laws do work, despite the fairly low level of prosecution, because people generally respect them.

Here in Melbourne I find that if you ride correctly..... ride BIG, and make your intentions clear, most drivers will pass wider, change lanes even when it is made obvious that they should.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:43 pm

il padrone wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:It was a miracle that the one meter law was passed ( Sorry trialled ) in QLD but it's a pity that it's not really enforced. I think other states aren't missing out on much but it is a start for people to push a bit harder in the right direction, I suppose. :(
Listen to cyclists from Qld and they are generally saying that the 1m rule HAS made a significant difference in driver perceptions. People are more aware, and passing wider, simply because of all the publicity. Even though prosecutions have been few (but they have occurred, and attained a good deal of publicity as well).

Many of our laws do work, despite the fairly low level of prosecution, because people generally respect them.

Here in Melbourne I find that if you ride correctly..... ride BIG, and make your intentions clear, most drivers will pass wider, change lanes even when it is made obvious that they should.
I think they just notice the few people that go really wide of you and do the right thing. I still haven't met anyone that has summited video footage of a close pass that has resulted in any type of fine or prosecution, there might people out there that have but it's not a large amount, this sort of news normally spreads like wild fire.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:59 pm

I think we'd be surprised how few cyclists regularly use forums. Most likely a lot of incidents near misses etc don't get mentioned online.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:54 pm

If anything i have actually seen worse driver interactions since the 1m law was passed. I don't think the law itself is a significant cause in that though, more that it happened to coincide with the ramping up of the media hatred of cyclists.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Superficially I'd agree, however what I feel is happening is the opposite. Watching some of the footage from my rear facing camera, most people do make an effort. What makes me 'feel' that it's not working is the odd driver that doesn't make allowances. Now this feels more extreme as the majority are leaving greater distances.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:20 am

I have found in qld that there is a sheeple effect.

If a lone car comes up, they will give you the metre.

If there are a line of cars and the first car is a small car that can fit, everyone else will just force their way down the same line as that driver, completely ignoring their width.

I have also found that the 1 metre rule is completely ignored if there is a line of paint any where near you. Cycle just to the left of the shoulder, and they well just treat the lane as theirs and blow past at full speed with no gap.

I have a main road that is 2 lanes of heavy traffic 70km/hr. When i cycle in the very left, adding the 1.5m, there is no way a car can pass legally with out lane straddling. But the right lane is occupied, so they don't. They just roar past with an insignificant gap of maybe 50cm. send the video of 100 cars doing it to police, and they don't care, if 100 cars could do it without hitting you, it must be safe.

Pretty much i have to resort to (legally) claiming the entire left lane. Which is just a matter if time before i am murdered. Every single car will tail gate and beep and swear. The most common thing To happen is one car will pull along side than move over on top of me, forcing me into the shoulder, the cats behind well quickly ride up that cars ass, so i don't have a chance to rejoin the line of traffic.

I no longer ride on the any road except 50km/hr back streets with no line markings. These i have found are the only roads where people will pass you safely and actually slow down.

I think there is simply a lane mentality. A lane is for cars, and that's that. If you are in a marked lane on a bike, I most of qld you will be treated like a dog who wondered out onto the street.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:17 pm

myforwik wrote: I think there is simply a lane mentality. A lane is for cars, and that's that. If you are in a marked lane on a bike, I most of qld you will be treated like a dog who wondered out onto the street.
More people would swerve to avoid the dog.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:31 pm

myforwik wrote: I have also found that the 1 metre rule is completely ignored if there is a line of paint any where near you. Cycle just to the left of the shoulder, and they well just treat the lane as theirs and blow past at full speed with no gap.
I have found this to be very true. Quite near me, there are some very narrow bike lanes on 70kph roads, and the traffic shaves past as if you are not there.
I can't say I've had the same experience as you in the other situations you mention, though. I think generally, attentive drivers try harder to leave a gap than they used to.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:35 pm

myforwik wrote: I have also found that the 1 metre rule is completely ignored if there is a line of paint any where near you.
There is a good reason for that and in some ways the drivers attitude is justified. Marked lanes are fundamental to the operation of multi lane roads. They mark out space that a road user is entitled to occupy and travel. To move from on lane to another one needs to signal and give way. The notion of having to give-way or adjust your continued travel in your lane due to another vehicle's presence that exists outside your lane is foreign to basics roadway operation.

In light of this cyclists should avoid riding in narrow shoulders or bike lanes. Take the lane when needed.