2015 cycling fatalities

Top_Bhoy

Re: 2015 cycling fatalities

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:01 pm

If that report on the young mans death is true - and there is no reason to doubt that it is made up, words for the first time in a long time, truly fail me. Undertaking in a cycle lane at speed!! Speculating on guilt, sentencing and anything else surrounding the driver seems pointless at this time.

RIP Joel Hawkins

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:05 am

I can understand an idiot driving into a bike lane, a bus lane, or an emergency stopping lane, due to impatience. They do it all the time. But why didn't they stop when they saw a cyclist.

If it was a bus lane would he simply have ploughed into it? Doesn't make sense.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:40 am

outnabike wrote:But why didn't they stop when they saw a cyclist.
Excessive speed, no doubt.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Fairly probable. It changes from 80 down to 60 only a short distance up the road, but people frequently disobey the speed change until further down.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:06 pm

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queenslan ... i4pr9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:05 pm

Local article:
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairn ... 7426940495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Duck! wrote:Fairly probable. It changes from 80 down to 60 only a short distance up the road, but people frequently disobey the speed change until further down.
EDIT: Drove past there today, and the location of the ghost bike indicates it happened on the opposite side of the road to where I had assumed it to be, so it's before the speed zone changes up to 80. My guess is just an impatient sod who couldn't wait for the truck to turn into the side road.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Or texting.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:08 pm

outnabike wrote:I can understand an idiot driving into a bike lane, a bus lane, or an emergency stopping lane, due to impatience. They do it all the time. But why didn't they stop when they saw a cyclist.

It makes sense in the Queensland courts. :roll: Refer to death of Richard Pollett.

Among the defences presented by the offending driver was that he could not move further away from My Pollett as he ws hemmed in by other vehicles in the adjacent lane. Apparently there is no requiremet to simply slow down behind a slower driver/rider. You can simply continue unchecked and roll over him.

Oops, did I say "offending driver'? My bad, the court found that he had done nothing wrong. As far as we know never copped a fine, never lost a demerit point.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:33 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
outnabike wrote:I can understand an idiot driving into a bike lane, a bus lane, or an emergency stopping lane, due to impatience. They do it all the time. But why didn't they stop when they saw a cyclist.

It makes sense in the Queensland courts. :roll: Refer to death of Richard Pollett.

Among the defences presented by the offending driver was that he could not move further away from My Pollett as he ws hemmed in by other vehicles in the adjacent lane. Apparently there is no requiremet to simply slow down behind a slower driver/rider. You can simply continue unchecked and roll over him.

Oops, did I say "offending driver'? My bad, the court found that he had done nothing wrong. As far as we know never copped a fine, never lost a demerit point.
No surprises here because that would be the same interpretation as the Victorian police. No action against the car driver who struck my handlebars from the rear when lane squeezing at 80 km/h. They really are all a shower of w$%#%^rs. Police and courts want respect - respect has to be earned, not demanded.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:

No surprises here because that would be the same interpretation as the Victorian police. No action against the car driver who struck my handlebars from the rear when lane squeezing at 80 km/h. They really are all a shower of w$%#%^rs. Police and courts want respect - respect has to be earned, not demanded.
In the case it was not the police that got it wrong. From memory it was a lack of direction by the judge to jury to disregard clearly absurd defences put up by defence counsel (there was not one defence that actually made sense). Queensland juries do really come up with some weird decisions.

I think the magistrate may even have paraphrased or implied support for some of those absurd defences.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: In the case it was not the police that got it wrong. From memory it was a lack of direction by the judge to jury to disregard clearly absurd defences put up by defence counsel (there was not one defence that actually made sense). Queensland juries do really come up with some weird decisions.

I think the magistrate may even have paraphrased or implied support for some of those absurd defences.
I view the police and courts as one and the same in their contempt and treatment of cyclists.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote: In the case it was not the police that got it wrong. From memory it was a lack of direction by the judge to jury to disregard clearly absurd defences put up by defence counsel (there was not one defence that actually made sense). Queensland juries do really come up with some weird decisions.

I view the police and courts as one and the same in their contempt and treatment of cyclists.
I don't think they have any great contempt for us, even though I do not feel we get a great outcome from either wrt to bikes vs cars. They are both overstretched and they both have severe resource restraints on them. Those are restraints imposed by our governments. I anyone has a contempt for us it would be the governments. But even then it's not contempt, it's inattention. It's just that governments exist to get into and retain government and their inattention to our needs are a function of how well we are perceived by the electorate.

I've found that cops, while not being any more perfect than myself, have served me rather well on those few times I have had to call on their services.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:52 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I don't think they have any great contempt for us, even though I do not feel we get a great outcome from either wrt to bikes vs cars.
Not as a whole but there will always be individuals and it only takes one to bork your day. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:00 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I've found that cops, while not being any more perfect than myself, have served me rather well on those few times I have had to call on their services.
Opinions are often based on experience and clearly my experience with the cops is vastly different from yours.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:31 pm

I just saw on fb someone died from an incident at a race at the Penrith regatta centre on Sunday? Does anyone have any details?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:54 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:I just saw on fb someone died from an incident at a race at the Penrith regatta centre on Sunday? Does anyone have any details?
I'm told it was a medical condition after the race. Tragic, the guy was only a 15 year old :-(
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Danish student Rebekka Meyer inquest reveals truck driver never saw her, police haven't laid charges, and parents found out she was killed by recognising her belongings scattered on the road in a photo published online.
She was the foreign student killed on Annerley Rd South Brisbane last year.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-19/r ... ection=qld

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:05 pm

[quote="ColinOldnCranky"]Update: Man being questioned by police. The one with nasty habits mentioned earlier but looking like being ruled out.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/new ... 7351911719

[quote]Anakie fatal: Man questioned over harassment of cyclists

A CAR believed to have been involved in a fatal hit-and-run in Anakie on Sunday has been found burnt out.

The car police allege fatally struck 77-year-old Corio cyclist Gordon Ibbs was found at 5pm on Tuesday in Winchelsea.

Police also said a man who had been allegedly terrorising cyclists in the Anakie area is no longer a suspect in the hit-and-run.

It counters earlier information from police that the unknown driver who struck and killed cyclist Gordon Ibbs, 77, may have been responsible for several other cases of road rage directed at cyclists.

Just came across this info, so the police a getting close.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/new ... 7588788424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BANDIDOS bikie members are believed to have disposed of the car that killed Corio cyclist Gordon Ibbs in May.
Detectives investigating the case say they are closing in on the male driver, seen ¬behind the wheel of a maroon VT Holden Commodore in the seconds after it slammed into Mr Ibbs on Geelong-Ballan Rd, Anakie, on May 10.
Police say they believe local patched members of the bikie gang moved the car to Wurdiboluc Reservoir, off Cape Otway Rd in Winchelsea, before they set fire to the vehicle in the days after the death.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:55 am

A pity the police are assuming the driver that killed Gordon Ibbs didn't see him rather than deliberately ran him over. On the bikie involvement, it hardens my view that these criminal gangs should be outlawed in every state.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Sadly a 53yo cyclist has died on the Sydney to Gong ride today - does not appear to have been a collision, but rather some medical issue.

Sydney cyclist dies during multiple sclerosis charity bike ride

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:38 pm

A cyclist was killed in North Wollongong on Thursday.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... ollongong/

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 pm

find_bruce wrote:Sadly a 53yo cyclist has died on the Sydney to Gong ride today - does not appear to have been a collision, but rather some medical issue.

Yeah, it was a cardio from what I heard. A lot of very bad accidents today on the Gong ride. The ambulances were working overtime. Rheicel and I attended to several bleeding people who had to have police, ambulance and rescue called for them.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:54 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Sadly a 53yo cyclist has died on the Sydney to Gong ride today - does not appear to have been a collision, but rather some medical issue.

Yeah, it was a cardio from what I heard. A lot of very bad accidents today on the Gong ride. The ambulances were working overtime. Rheicel and I attended to several bleeding people who had to have police, ambulance and rescue called for them.

Geez that's no good :-(
I didn't do the gong ride this year, but it's very sad to hear about people who were injured or worse trying to complete it. Thanks for volunteering Rheicel and David, I'd be interested in joining you next year.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

rheicel

2015 cycling fatalities

Postby rheicel » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Lots of fatalities today compared to last years Syd-Gong. Most accidents could have been avoided though. :(

Edit: not fatalities, casualties - is the right word. I was typing too fast and because this is a fatality thread, I ended up typing that word.
Last edited by rheicel on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.