Gay dithers while cyclists die

find_bruce

Re: Gay dithers while cyclists die

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:35 pm

To use the philosophy of Monty Python, All of Duncan Gay's ideas are stupid, BUT not all stupid ideas are Duncan Gay's :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:36 pm

NSW, making the global running
“The worst attitude I met towards cyclists [anywhere in the world] was the day I cycled into Sydney in Australia.”
:oops:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:18 pm

AUbicycles wrote:

--

I have been writing regular letters to Duncan Gay, also to the premier regarding the re-appointment of Gay as the minister. For every three letters I get one response (from a staff member) to my dozen or so letters (mixed 50% postal and 50% via online).

Genuinely not trying to be annoying however the responses are canned letters praising the cycling investment and commitment of the state government. The letters have now come full-circle.

In the first response, the self-praise commended the $59 million investment into cycling and pedestrian infrastructure. I formally questioned the validity of the investment asking for a breakdown (how much cycling, how much pedestrian) and also whether the 'questionable' Anzac parade (Albert 'tibby' Cotter) bridge, which went over budget costing $38 million.

I have also phoned the staff, the Nationals are unresponsive while the ministerial staff, when available are generally friendly however do no deliver on their promise provide a formal response (i.e. breakdown of the costs). Officially one letter said that a breakdown would not be provided but there was no response to why a breakdown of investment couldn't be provided i.e. is it a secret (and why) or can it be that they don't know or don't want to say because removing the pedestrian component and theAlbert tibby Cotter bridge would reveal that actual investment by the state government in cycling infrastructure is a joke.

I also requested to be part of the round-table discussion, and later informed that it was a roaring success. I havn't seen the participants disclosed so don't know if cycling interested were genuinely and fairly represented though from one participant the curious response was that the discussions were confidential. Confidentiality by elected politicians on manners affecting and concerning the public is concerning.

If the department has a genuine interest in cycling safety their public communication and consultation does not reflect this.

However, I think there is still validity in voicing a continued opposition to the NSW state governments position of sacrificing cycling infrastructure and safety for facilities for motor vehicles. While the ministers conveniently dish out canned responses with self-praise and pass on enquiries to other staff or ministers without jurisdiction, one of the more effective approaches is engaging the local governments. Some, of course, are tragic and create illusions of progress while others are making a genuine commitment as cycling integration is important for communities and vibrant town centres.

Recently back from Europe and having the joy of riding for work and recreation, bike riding is convenient, is respected and is a pleasure.
Just wanted to say - respect! You are exactly the person that should be on those roundtable discussions.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Local councils are where real movement can happen, and just this week I was invited to my local council to provide input on cycling in the area. Of course they have a lot of groups involved such as Bicycle NSW and local residents and community groups. At least at the local level you can clearly see the tangible improvements.
Cycling is in my BNA

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:58 am

AUbicycles wrote:Local councils are where real movement can happen
All true. Until the state government comes in a rips up the local council's hard work. :evil:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Did anyone see Gay's comment in the paper yesterday about changes to traffic signals to make them safer for peds?

"If the coroner said we need to do it then we have to do it" was his exact quote iirc

So first fatality on College Street, coroner tells him to put the cycleway back?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:49 pm

wellington_street wrote:Did anyone see Gay's comment in the paper yesterday about changes to traffic signals to make them safer for peds?

"If the coroner said we need to do it then we have to do it" was his exact quote iirc
Words. Almost.
Fail.
Me.

What a thoroughly callous, vile, contemptible excuse for a human being.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Found the article again:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/natio ... y-drivers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A four-second leeway will be added to help pedestrians cross at 560 intersections in NSW, mainly in Sydney.

Orange flashing lights will also be added to curb pedestrian accidents, Roads Minister Duncan Gay says.

Thirty-five pedestrians have died in Sydney this year, up eight from this time last year.

Mr Gay says NSW is the first state to adopt these traffic measures and it is a direct response to calls from the coroner.

"It's a simple thing, if the coroner says we need to do this, we need to do it," he said.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:34 pm

wellington_street wrote:Did anyone see Gay's comment in the paper yesterday about changes to traffic signals to make them safer for peds?

So first fatality on College Street, coroner tells him to put the cycleway back?
Hopefully that wont happen, I'd hate to have someone die to get the cycleway back
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:15 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Local councils are where real movement can happen, and just this week I was invited to my local council to provide input on cycling in the area. Of course they have a lot of groups involved such as Bicycle NSW and local residents and community groups. At least at the local level you can clearly see the tangible improvements.
Was that Warringah or Pittwater council?

I've been rebuffed by Warringah trying to get the staff to change the door zone bike lanes on Allambie Road. Traffic section is a bunch of amateurs when it comes to bike infrastructure. Some of the responses were quite disparaging, especially when I mentioned Strava as a research tool. They backed off the sarcasm though when I told them I thought their response was unbecoming of a person of their supposed professional stature.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:13 pm

I complained to my council when they put in a new bike lane, the lane is less than 50cm wide for a long stretch.

I quickly found out that the didn't give a crap. The only reason it even had a bike line was because it allowed them to charge a significant portion of the project to the state government - which was coughing up money for cycling projects.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 pm

myforwik wrote:I complained to my council when they put in a new bike lane, the lane is less than 50cm wide for a long stretch.

I quickly found out that the didn't give a crap. The only reason it even had a bike line was because it allowed them to charge a significant portion of the project to the state government - which was coughing up money for cycling projects.
Can you show us on street view?
I might be tempted to complain myself...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:31 am

It wouldn't comply with State or Australian standards and therefor wouldn't be eligible for funding if that was the case. Are they counting some sort of useless gutter space?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?