NSW 1 metre passing distance + increase cyclist fines

hunch

Re: NSW 1 metre passing distance + increase cyclist fines

Postby hunch » Wed May 25, 2016 7:13 am

Yep, Chief Inspector for Traffic and Highway Patrol has previously gone on record as saying they will action videos submitted by the general public for other driving offences, the biggest stumbling block will be the indifference to bicycling matters at your local shop front.

Still waiting for that education campaign too! Had 2 B-doubles passing on Monday that I could have touched the rear trailer wheels without straightening an elbow.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:50 am

jasonc wrote:they don't accept video evidence i believe
I can assure you that if someone submits video evidence of armed robbers, the police will start salivating all over it and it will instantly become their 'smoking gun' in prosecuting them.

you're right that they won't tend to accept video evidence of cycling incidents. it's a case of can't or won't?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 am

jules21 wrote:
jasonc wrote:they don't accept video evidence i believe
I can assure you that if someone submits video evidence of armed robbers, the police will start salivating all over it and it will instantly become their 'smoking gun' in prosecuting them.

you're right that they won't tend to accept video evidence of cycling incidents. it's a case of can't or won't?
won't - too much paperwork for cockroaches on wheels

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 am

can't help but think that whilst the cops have set their priorities on issuing infringement notices to cyclists, they have taken their eyes off the stats that matter (to the general public) ...

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/ ... -daily.pdf

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 pm

caneye wrote:can't help but think that whilst the cops have set their priorities on issuing infringement notices to cyclists, they have taken their eyes off the stats that matter (to the general public) ...

The cops pick the esy targets, always have. Think speed, RBT, now helmets, bells and footpaths. Easy to determine, the person doesn't have a leg to stand on to argue the point. Close passing, tailgating etc are comparatively harder to prove conclusively so the focus is on a black or white 'crime'

As for the stats, cyclist fatalities are not very high, so it will be hard to prove if the new rules are working, and if there is a spike of a couple (god forbid) then they will claim a statistical anomaly until the next years results are in.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 pm

bychosis wrote:
caneye wrote:can't help but think that whilst the cops have set their priorities on issuing infringement notices to cyclists, they have taken their eyes off the stats that matter (to the general public) ...

The cops pick the esy targets, always have. Think speed, RBT, now helmets, bells and footpaths. Easy to determine, the person doesn't have a leg to stand on to argue the point. Close passing, tailgating etc are comparatively harder to prove conclusively so the focus is on a black or white 'crime'

As for the stats, cyclist fatalities are not very high, so it will be hard to prove if the new rules are working, and if there is a spike of a couple (god forbid) then they will claim a statistical anomaly until the next years results are in.
A case in point was the motorcycle policeman on Driver Ave across from the SCG this morning. Clearly looking to fine cyclist not wearing a helmet. Meanwhile, a few hundred metres down the road at the intersection with Lang Rd, cars drove through red lights, a regular occurence, but never policed.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Only 4 bookings for not abiding by the 1 metre rule is sending a clear message to the motoring community that there is almost no chance of been booked, so the law can be ignored
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 25, 2016 6:42 pm

mikesbytes wrote:With all the videos that have been submitted, why has there been only 4 convictions for breaking the 1mtr rule?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/number-of-cyc ... oxld9.html
We did try and warn you all... this is exactly what happened in QLD

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 25, 2016 10:24 pm

The 1 meter law should be about driver education and awareness - and having motorists actually leaving more space when passing bike riders. If they all did that and there were no fines issues to drivers, I would be perfectly happy.

The reality is that the safe passing distance message has been totally ineffective because the NSW Government and department of roads, maritime and freight (under the leaderships of MP Duncan Gay) is a failure. Too little money was invested in the campaign so the message simply didn't get through.

In an article in the newspaper MP Duncan Gay said the 4 infringements on drivers (compared to large number on cyclists) showed drivers were doing "the right thing".

Some drivers are good... and always have been. But the amount of dangerous passing that I am experiencing confirms that drivers are not doing the right thing, rather, the drivers are not been fined.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 25, 2016 10:32 pm

AUbicycles wrote:In an article in the newspaper MP Duncan Gay said the 4 infringements on drivers (compared to large number on cyclists) showed drivers were doing "the right thing".

Some drivers are good... and always have been. But the amount of dangerous passing that I am experiencing confirms that drivers are not doing the right thing, rather, the drivers are not been fined.
That guy is such a bullcrap artist. Rather, it's a demonstration of bias in police enforcement and a habit of picking the soft target.

I too am experiencing little change in the number of close passes. In the leadup when the incoming laws were being publicised, and for a few weeks while the publicity campaign was in progress it was good. But the media focus was primarily on the increase in fines for cyclists and the identification requirements.

The metre matters message has been completely lost, and consequently behaviour is much as it was.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:19 pm

There is no restriction on video evidence. A witness (aka the cyclist) along with video is in fact very good evidence. But the fact is that with traffic offenses where direct harm is done, the police rarely bother unless they or a police speed camera witness it. It isn't solely a bias against cyclists.

However the bias is definitely there. I've seen several "have you seen this cyclist" comments from the police regarding 'reckless' cyclists despite no harm being done. I've never seen anything of the sort for the thousands of close passes.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:07 pm

From the Bicycle NSW Facebook page:
As a result of the working relationship Bicycle NSW has with NSW Police we have been advised that there will be a Police operation focusing on cyclists on Tuesday 28th June. The operation will concentrate on inner Sydney and Centennial Park areas. As always, we ask that you please ride safely and consider all road users and road rules when you are riding your bike.

So the c***s who approved the Trucking Minister's new policies now advise us about the latest NSW Police revenue-raiser. Because of their "working relationship :x
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:13 pm

il padrone wrote:From the Bicycle NSW Facebook page:
As a result of the working relationship Bicycle NSW has with NSW Police we have been advised that there will be a Police operation focusing on cyclists on Tuesday 28th June. The operation will concentrate on inner Sydney and Centennial Park areas. As always, we ask that you please ride safely and consider all road users and road rules when you are riding your bike.

So the c***s who approved the Trucking Minister's new policies now advise us about the latest NSW Police revenue-raiser. Because of their "working relationship :x
I felt the same way. At least in this new exciting advisory role the c***s (camps? corks? comps? :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) are being marginally useful. I'm glad my money is going to Cycling NSW instead for my insurance needs.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:42 am

Seems the helmet laws are "working". Yesterday I spotted a rider I regularly see, and have done for a few years. Until the increase in fines he'd never worn a helmet. I saw him twice shortly after the increase came in with a lid on. Yesterday his lid was gone again. He rides an e-bike up and down the sharepath along the lake, always sedately and is now back to endangering motorists because he's not wearing a foam bucket again :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

hunch

Postby hunch » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:08 am

I'm pretty sure BNSW was asked to leave the room, Cycling NSW and AGF were the nazi collaborators. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:44 am

Boognoss wrote:
il padrone wrote:From the Bicycle NSW Facebook page:

I felt the same way. At least in this new exciting advisory role the c***s (camps? corks? comps? :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) are being marginally useful. I'm glad my money is going to Cycling NSW instead for my insurance needs.
c**** = contributors :mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:55 am

coots ;)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm

We can villainise those involved in the discussions, however the biggest crime are the ones carried out by those in charge of the authorities. If deterrents have increased, ie higher fines, then why has the number booked gone up? The number should of gone down. Doesn't take a PHD to figure that one out, there has been a systematic attack on good honest citizens who's real crime is to choose to leave the car at home.

And I feel sorry for the police who joined the profession to protect the community and then find themselves sent out to book cyclists for not having a bell or riding on the footpath, while drug dealers and other criminals are ignored.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:49 pm

mikesbytes wrote:We can villainise those involved in the discussions, however the biggest crime are the ones carried out by those in charge of the authorities. If deterrents have increased, ie higher fines, then why has the number booked gone up? The number should of gone down. Doesn't take a PHD to figure that one out, there has been a systematic attack on good honest citizens who's real crime is to choose to leave the car at home.

And I feel sorry for the police who joined the profession to protect the community and then find themselves sent out to book cyclists for not having a bell or riding on the footpath, while drug dealers and other criminals are ignored.
I mentioned it in another thread but in Centennial Park a survey found two-thirds of motorists were speeding versus just one in ten cyclists. I'm yet to see or hear of a police crackdown on speeding motorists in CP.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Ha

Don't suppose you know where that survey is?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Ha

http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/ep ... DMCC68QP68
Last edited by biker jk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:49 pm

biker jk wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Ha

Code: Select all

[url]http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx?noredirect=true[/url]
That link just takes me to the latest Daily Telegraph wannabe Manly Daily. :(

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:00 pm

I got a response on behalf of "transport for NSW". The background is (in brief) I wrote number letters to Minister Duncan Gay, each were polite and expressed my opposition to the laws and clarification plus I asked for a response each time. I didn't get any responses until I asked my local MP to address this and received a canned response from the minister (via the MP). I let MP Rob Stokes know that the letter was canned and again wrote to try and get answers.

I wrote to MP Duncan Gay per post (snail mail):

• Requesting evidence to support the claims
• Questioning the ID requirement (when a smart phone makes the ID legal but inaccessible)
• Questioning the reduction in pedestrian and cycling infrastructure budget - breakdown in budget allocation requested
• Criticising the effectiveness of the Go Together campaign which is underfunded

Staff Response
Thank you for your further correspondence to the Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight about the NSW Government's cycling and road safety reforms. The Minister has asked me to respond to you.

I appreciate the time you have taken to write and I note your further concerns.

Regarding the increase in fines, the penalty levels for bicycle riders for road rules offences are being increased so that the fine levels better reflect the road safety risk they pose for bicycle riders and other road users. The review of penalties for bicycle riders also considered the relative fine levels across the other Australian jurisdictions. For offences with serious safety risks, such as failing to stop at a red traffic light, the penalty changes will mean riders receive the same penalties as motor vehicle drivers.

The Centre for Road Safety advises photo ID is intended to ensure family members can be notified as well as assist emergency services to provide the best medical support they can. The new photo ID laws also provide a greater deterrent for risky behaviour and encourage greater compliance among bicycle riders. It will make it easier for Police officers to correctly establish the identity of the cyclist in the event of an offence at the point of the offence.

Transport for NSW encourages bicycle riders who decide not to carry the original photo ID to take steps that make it as easy as possible for emergency services to access information about them in the event of a crash. This could include using existing features on some mobile phones that allow certain emergency details or contact details to be accessed by emergency services, even when the phone is locked.

Additionally, the only other time a person will be asked for their photo ID is if they've done the wrong thing. By not carrying their photo ID, or a photo of their ID, as of 1 March 2017, a cyclist will face an additional fine of $106. Having a picture on your mobile phone is sufficient in this instance for the NSW Police Force.

Cyclists are given 12 months to adjust to the new law. We don't want to see another dollar in fines, but we do hope to see a reduction in cyclist injuries and fatalities.

The campaign to educate people about these changes has featured on extensive radio, digital, print, and outdoor advertising, electronic message signs on the road network and on public transport and an online animation.

Extensive publicity has been carried out with Centre for Road Safety Executive Director, Bernard Carlon, completing radio interviews on major radio and television networks, metropolitan and regional editorial pieces published; and extensive communications and advertising on Transport for NSW social media assets reaching hundreds of thousands of NSW drivers.

Transport for NSW will continue to collaborate with stakeholders to raise awareness about the changes.

To summarise:

Increase in fines
• No evidence offered
• Increase to reflect risk and align with fines in other states - though justification (evidence) is not offered

ID Requirement
• Enforcing accountability
• Still a flawed concept if riders are 'encouraged' rather than required

Reduction in Cycling Infrastructure
• No comment offered, request has been ignored

Poorly funded / implemented GoTogether campaign
• Apparently it was awesome - Bernard Carlon however didn't answer questions sufficiently and simply pushed the same old lines that all of the politicians were pushing.
• While you can do some social media promotion, there is a difference between doing it, and doing it effectively.

---

What is interesting is that a few parts were canned (or resembled responses I have seen) though on three topics feedback was provided though - even if it was insufficient.

Certainly not surprising - and continues to disappoint that the politicians are not serving the community and not willing to provide transparency.
Cycling is in my BNA

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:05 pm

biker jk wrote:
mikesbytes wrote: I mentioned it in another thread but in Centennial Park a survey found two-thirds of motorists were speeding versus just one in ten cyclists. I'm yet to see or hear of a police crackdown on speeding motorists in CP.
Well there's a cyclist crackdown in CP tomorrow, they'll make a motza with the amount of weirdly placed stop signs (which in most instances should be give way signs).

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:03 pm

ItsDank wrote:
biker jk wrote:
mikesbytes wrote: I mentioned it in another thread but in Centennial Park a survey found two-thirds of motorists were speeding versus just one in ten cyclists. I'm yet to see or hear of a police crackdown on speeding motorists in CP.
Well there's a cyclist crackdown in CP tomorrow, they'll make a motza with the amount of weirdly placed stop signs (which in most instances should be give way signs).
You don't think there should be stop signs for cars entering Grand Drive and crossing the cycling lane?