Cyclist attacks bus driver - but where is the footage leading up to the altercation?

cj7hawk

Re: Cyclist attacks bus driver - but where is the footage leading up to the altercation?

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:38 pm

I can't believe it.

The Russians stole my idea.

OK, technically, they had it before me.....

Comedian

Re: Cyclist attacks bus driver - but where is the footage leading up to the altercation?

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 pm

BJL wrote:I haven't seen the article (I don't look at these articles anymore), but if the bus driver did something to endanger the cyclist's life, then he is justified in retaliating. No different than someone who points a gun to your head or threatens you with a knife. But who's really to blame here? In my book, the authorities . The authorities who refuse to enforce road rules and the rights of vulnerable road users. When people feel as if their concerns are ignored then you're going to see more of this happen. Basically, if the authorities refuse to uphold the law, then people will take the law into their own hands. I don't agree with this but it's bound to happen. And the media further encourages poor behaviour on our roads with all their talk of a 'war on the roads' and justify the actions of motorists who injure and kill cyclists because in their view, cyclist's don't belong on the roads anyway. And the authorities appear to agree with this. Well, don't complain if cyclists begin to fight back.
So, I've been nearly hit by a police car in QLD. I've got perfect video of it, and have even RTI'd the footage from the patrol car which clearly showed me narrowly averting becoming a bonnet emblem. The QPS response? It's a waste of time discussing it with me. After escalation I also got a nice letter from the Assistant commissioner of "ethical standards" saying that he agreed it was a waste of police time even talking to me about it.

Violence is never justified, but I reckon if the bus did to something crazy then I sure do understand it.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Comedian wrote:
BJL wrote:I haven't seen the article (I don't look at these articles anymore), but if the bus driver did something to endanger the cyclist's life, then he is justified in retaliating. No different than someone who points a gun to your head or threatens you with a knife. But who's really to blame here? In my book, the authorities . The authorities who refuse to enforce road rules and the rights of vulnerable road users. When people feel as if their concerns are ignored then you're going to see more of this happen. Basically, if the authorities refuse to uphold the law, then people will take the law into their own hands. I don't agree with this but it's bound to happen. And the media further encourages poor behaviour on our roads with all their talk of a 'war on the roads' and justify the actions of motorists who injure and kill cyclists because in their view, cyclist's don't belong on the roads anyway. And the authorities appear to agree with this. Well, don't complain if cyclists begin to fight back.
So, I've been nearly hit by a police car in QLD. I've got perfect video of it, and have even RTI'd the footage from the patrol car which clearly showed me narrowly averting becoming a bonnet emblem. The QPS response? It's a waste of time discussing it with me. After escalation I also got a nice letter from the Assistant commissioner of "ethical standards" saying that he agreed it was a waste of police time even talking to me about it.

Violence is never justified, but I reckon if the bus did to something crazy then I sure do understand it.

Post the video of it to Youtube - Along with a copy of the letter of the police indicating that addressing poor police behavior was a "Waste of time" -

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:16 am

cj7hawk wrote:
Comedian wrote:

Post the video of it to Youtube - Along with a copy of the letter of the police indicating that addressing poor police behavior was a "Waste of time" -
I will .. but not just yet.... I'm still working through things..

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:16 am

Seems most people here aren't from Brisbane so they don't know the particular bus routes or area in question. Its in the Brisbane CBD. 40kph section of road. The bus involved is a cityglider route. At that particular time it would have been in the right hand lane as soon as it left its bus stop 700m and 3 intersections back down the road ( https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/-27. ... !3e1?hl=en ) due to the left hand lane being used as bus stops/delivery drop offs. The intersection prior a lot of the time the left hand lane is blocked due to traffic waiting for peds to cross the road.

Haven seen many of the dopes that ride through the city along this particular stretch of road something about that cyclist irks me. And its not helped out by the hand signals that the bus driver is making. I can't help but feel like the cyclist was weaving between the traffic stopped in the left hand lane for whatever reason (delivery/drop off/turning left) and something has happened. Since you can't see any traffic infront of the bus it has been the first vehicle in line at the lights. And considering the bike is in front of the bus it wouldn't surprise me if he already was having words with the driver at the intersection prior. Something has definitely happened with the cyclist weaving between the stationary traffic in the left lane and the bus in the right hand lane. You better have a bloody good excuse to assault a bus driver and so far I can't think of any knowing the area and the bus route itself.

Also for you internet detectives...
he's not a food delivery courier. Its a suit bag. Bell & Barnett to be exact. http://www.bellandbarnett.com/
A Giant XTC commuter carrying a suit should be pretty easy to spot traveling along Adelaide street. Especially if you can get CCTV footage from a few key areas. Or even just sit on Adelaide street at the top of the hill and wait for any mtb commuters on a blue/white giant xtc with a rear guard to come trundling along.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:04 pm

One of the biggest dangers is cyclists who not only filter alongside buses but those who think by squeezing through in between buses and other heavy vehicles that puts them in sheer danger.

I had two incidents, one yesterday in Oxford St Bondi Junction going towards the Westfield stop, there was buses facing the other way waiting at the lights as I was entering the bus area near
westfields, I noticed at the last second a young woman trying to cross the road between 2 buses with her bike, I was only going 25kph but if she had proceeded to keep going, she would've been hit by my bus...it was that close..... another this morning on the cnr of Clovelly Road & Darley Rd, waiting to turn left onto Darley road, there was a subaru trying to turn right preventing me from turning left...that was ok and there was about 2 feet between cnr of my bus & the rear of the Suby, a guy on a folding bike came up beside my drivers side and jumped in between us just as I started rolling forward....when i seen him I wasn't sure if he'd crossed the road to jump in between the vehicles or up beside me...only that as I should, checked both sides before i started moving...happenned quickly but still he was determined to squeeze in front of a bus....I just don't think these people think of the consequences of these actions if it all went wrong.
Another problem worse than the cyclists doing this is these bloody scooter riders....I think they think their scooters are bicycles sometimes and i've seen many missjudgements of scooter width as they criss cross traffic......I hope they don't get to learn the hard way but jeez I've seen many close calls....there was a scooter rider knocked off his bike in Regent street Redfern yesterday morning...didn't look good...scooter was mangled and rider in a brace on an ambo bed.....high cost of impatience i'm afraid!!

I see that one of the problems with the cycling aspect is the inexperienced commuters see the experienced manouvre in traffic and think it's ok to do it so they emulate their actions often dangerously.

We do have traffic awareness course at times including educating cyclists about riding around buses.....one that recently was filmed starred one of our drivers from Waverly Depot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18xCBLgN9M

hope this link works

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:56 pm

cj7hawk wrote:I can't believe it.

The Russians stole my idea.

OK, technically, they had it before me.....

great video. Something tells me that by stopping douchebags using bike lanes and shoulders like this will amount to the "us" getting trouble and not the perpetrator. That's how backwards the Australian law system is.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:00 pm

brumby33 wrote:One of the biggest dangers is cyclists who not only filter alongside buses but those who think by squeezing through in between buses and other heavy vehicles that puts them in sheer danger.

I had two incidents, one yesterday in Oxford St Bondi Junction going towards the Westfield stop, there was buses facing the other way waiting at the lights as I was entering the bus area near
westfields, I noticed at the last second a young woman trying to cross the road between 2 buses with her bike, I was only going 25kph but if she had proceeded to keep going, she would've been hit by my bus...it was that close..... another this morning on the cnr of Clovelly Road & Darley Rd, waiting to turn left onto Darley road, there was a subaru trying to turn right preventing me from turning left...that was ok and there was about 2 feet between cnr of my bus & the rear of the Suby, a guy on a folding bike came up beside my drivers side and jumped in between us just as I started rolling forward....when i seen him I wasn't sure if he'd crossed the road to jump in between the vehicles or up beside me...only that as I should, checked both sides before i started moving...happenned quickly but still he was determined to squeeze in front of a bus....I just don't think these people think of the consequences of these actions if it all went wrong.
Another problem worse than the cyclists doing this is these bloody scooter riders....I think they think their scooters are bicycles sometimes and i've seen many missjudgements of scooter width as they criss cross traffic......I hope they don't get to learn the hard way but jeez I've seen many close calls....there was a scooter rider knocked off his bike in Regent street Redfern yesterday morning...didn't look good...scooter was mangled and rider in a brace on an ambo bed.....high cost of impatience i'm afraid!!

I see that one of the problems with the cycling aspect is the inexperienced commuters see the experienced manouvre in traffic and think it's ok to do it so they emulate their actions often dangerously.

We do have traffic awareness course at times including educating cyclists about riding around buses.....one that recently was filmed starred one of our drivers from Waverly Depot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18xCBLgN9M

hope this link works

Cheers

brumby33
Amazing that people will put themselves at such risk and yet I wouldn't be surprised if you told me it happened nearly every day. They are fortunate that you are such a careful driver
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?