Bikes on Kwinana Freeway Bridges?

Viper

Bikes on Kwinana Freeway Bridges?

Postby Viper » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Newbie bike rider here,

I have to ride to Murdoch Uni and the only obstacle is the bridges; to memory the one at Perth City has a bike path right? but the one bridge after that leads to bull creek station doesn't seem to have one so am I even allowed on that bridge at all? Some advice would be great thanks.

Bunged Knee

Re: Bikes on Kwinana Freeway Bridges?

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 pm

You`d get advice from people from this Western Australia sub-forum who knows the areas.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi Viper and welcome to the forums. As Mr Knee suggests you'd get more responses re-posting this to the WA sub (we are the most active State based sub),

In the meantime, there is a continuous off-road shared path (bike and pedestrian) running from Perth to South St, when you get to the bridge leading to Bull Creek Station (assuming you mean the Mt Henry Bridge) the bike path goes underneath the deck of the bridge. (in fact there are 2 paths, 1 on either side of the bridge but they both go to the same place on the other side).

The link below should show you the most direct cycling route from Perth to Murdoch Uni. Adjust the start point to match your actual location and you should be good to go.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Pert ... 686354!3e1

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Department of Transport Cycling Maps.. These should also show the shared paths to help you find your route.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:16 am

As Scott_C stated there is almost a continuous shared path running from Perth to South Yunderup alongside the freeway.

You ride underneath the road on Mount Henry bridge (the bridge crossing the river near Bullcreek Station), out the other side, cross the sometimes busy Cranford Ave, down the very quiet Selway Road for 200 metres or so before rejoining the shared path just before Bullcreek Station. It is the only break on the shared path before you get to South Yunderup.

I ride it regularly, though if I have the time I will do the Mt Henry to Canning Bridge section on the road along the Esplanade in Mount Pleasant, as you have a lot of walkers/joggers/prams along that section, plus as you will be riding against the flow you need to keep an eye out for commuter heading into the city, some who will take stupid risks passing slower traffic in the morning. The evening is a lot better, less foot traffic and commuting from the city is into a headwind so it does slow/tire those commuters.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Scott_C wrote:Hi Viper and welcome to the forums. As Mr Knee suggests you'd get more responses re-posting this to the WA sub (we are the most active State based sub) ...
I've moved it across to the WA forum ....

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Viper

Postby Viper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:27 pm

thanks all now I can now rest easy now