Punneet Puneet extradition status

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:15 pm

So the guy who's passport was used spent 18 months in jail then deported to India and has a $60K legal bill. I'm assuming it was proven that he gave the passport to Punneet with the intent of it being used for an illegal purpose
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 pm

mikesbytes wrote:So the guy who's passport was used spent 18 months in jail then deported to India and has a $60K legal bill. I'm assuming it was proven that he gave the passport to Punneet with the intent of it being used for an illegal purpose
My recollection is that Sukhcharanjit Singh's story at the time was that he rented it (for $3,000 as I recall) to Puneet for the purposes of applying for a loan. It never made much sense as a story, but then neither did renting it out for a paltry $2,000 to $3,000 make sense if it was for a purpose in which he would almost certainly be found out and extradited. A few thousand bucks is small cheese compared to the cost of and value of education in Oz.

One wonders if Singh was the one who dobbed Puneet in for the Victorian Government's reward, $100,000.

Anyway, he did sell it to Puneet and paid a hefty price for it. Puneet, of course, appeared at the time to be getting a bargain.

fyi At the last court appearance Puneets next court date was set for 28th this month. These scheduled dates often are changed.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

1Rowdy1

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 am

[/quote]

Firstly, bogan and tradie don't refer to a race. If you say a bogan cut you off, you're not saying white Australians are inherently dishonest, blah, blah, blah ... you're just making a classist remark about working class men.

/quote]

Have never heard of anyone apart from white Aussies being referred to as a Bogan, to claim it is not racist is a stretch.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Nothing easily found on the Web about Puneet's appearance in court on Wednesday just passed as scheduled at previous court appearance. It looks like the date has been deferred again. :?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 am

For some perspective. Andrea Dorothy Chan Reyes, accused of killing a cyclist in California in 2017 (yes, killing. I like the media sometimes) ran to Australia, and is now waiting extradition. 8 months in detention so far, looking at another 2 at months. using the mental health scam

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... spartandhp

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/andrea-d ... han-reyes/

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 am

fat and old wrote:For some perspective. Andrea Dorothy Chan Reyes, accused of killing a cyclist in California in 2017 (yes, killing. I like the media sometimes) ran to Australia, and is now waiting extradition. 8 months in detention so far, looking at another 2 at months. using the mental health scam

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... spartandhp

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/andrea-d ... han-reyes/
I suspect that our "Detention Facilities" are five star compared to the slammer in California!

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:37 pm

More delays. This time Puneet's lawyer was "ill". :roll:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/more- ... 50muc.html

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 am

What a surprise ....

Wonder what the next excuse will be ...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:22 pm

I hope that the same judge presides at the next hearing. She seems to have finally given weight to the constant murmurs from the bench in effect of "that is the last straw" and "no more delays will be accepted".

Regardless of the constant Puneet induced delays, this time the beak forced the process forward and asked the prosecutor to "begin presenting his final argument" (which I assume then happened). Apparently the next step is for Puneets lawyers to "give its narration of the facts at the next hearing". Maybe someone with a legal mind can suggest to the rest of us what that means.

(The next scheduled hearing is for 14 January but these seem to be deferred more often than not. In the meantime Puneet is getting paddling furiously and getting older as more and more of the rest of his life trickles away. Boo hoo. :roll: )

Still no sympathy being shown on the SBS Hindi Facebook page. He has about as much support among his countrymen as he has among the rest of us. :mrgreen:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Here is an updated list of mine of much of the history as recorded by meself
Times and dates and stuff

• 1Oct2008, 12:50am - Puneet, 19yo, killed one pedestrian nursing student Dean Hofstee 19yo and injured his friend Clancy Cloker 20yo. Puneet was speeding (148kph in 60kph zone) in his V8 Commodore. His BAC was 0.165. The victims were leaving the Mantra Hotel on City Rd, Southbank  drunk in Southbank, Melbourne. October 2, 2008: Puneet tells the Herald Sun he drank four whisky and cola drinks at a party in Nunawading before the crash. He blames the crash on sore eyes and a cat that he says darted across the road and made him lose control.
• 10Oct2008 - Mr Hofstee is farewelled at a service packed with mourners at the Gold Coast's Trinity Anglican Mission.
• 04Feb2009 - Puneet, now 20, pleads guilty to culpable driving causing Mr Hofstee's death and negligent driving causing serious injuries to Mr Coker. A witness statement tendered to the court says Puneet flew by at such a furious speed that it appeared he "must have been on a suicide mission".
• 1Jun2009 - Booked flight with passport or friend Sukhcharanjit Singh.
• 12Jun2009 - Flew out of Australia as "Sukhcharanjit Singh" using friends passport.
• 2009 - Fled Australia on friends passport. Friend sentenced to 30months gaol, served 18months.
• 20Aug2009 - Puneet's flight comes to public attention, as police reveal the fugitive had not reported to them for almost two months. A County Court judge issues a warrant for his arrest. Puneet's co-worker Sukhcharanjit Singh, 20, faces court over accusations he gave Puneet his passport. He is later charged.
• 21Aug2009 - The State Government declares cost would be no object in bringing Puneet back from India, but face a roadblock due to Australia not having an extradition treaty with India. The Director of Public Prosecutions says he will start extradition proceedings as soon as police confirm Puneet's whereabouts in India.
• 30Sep2009 - Victoria Police and the Office of Public Prosecution are left red-faced after it is revealed they failed to correctly complete paperwork to extradite Puneet from India.
• 14Oct2009 - Bail hearing for friend Sukhcharanjit Singh. Emerged that Puneet held a farewell party with friends shortly before he fled.
• 15Oct2009 - Singh is released on bail despite fears he could follow Puneet in fleeing to India.
• 2010/11 - New extradition treaty signed with India, designed to streamline extradition cases both ways between the countries. This one now only requires Australia to "reasonably establish that the person sought has committed the offence" rather than the previous need to prove guilt in India.
• 24Mar2011 - Singh, now 22, is jailed for a minimum of 18 months for helping Puneet flee. He claimed that he lent it to Puneet for $2,000(frommemory) for purposes of getting a credit card.
• 7Aug2012 - Reward of $100,000 offered by Victorian police.
• 19Nov2013 - Mother, Farther and several uncles booked three rooms at the hotel used on 28Nov.
• Th28Nov2013 -  (Also reported as arrested on 30th)Police nabbed Puneet in a hotel in Panipat, 90km north of Delhi where he was meeting with family members. He was dressed in his wedding clothes.
• Sa30Nov2013 - Date of Puneets intended wedding
• 13Dec2013 - Family pleas for help from Indian government to not send Puneet to Australia, being scared. 
• We18Dec2013 - Extradition hearing #1, adj to Th9Jan2014, Lawyers claims "hatred towards Indian students in Australia".
• Th9Jan2014 - Extradition hearing #2 (resumed from from 18Dec). Adjourned to Th6Feb2014 "due to absence of some senior members of the counsel".
• Th6Feb2014 Extradition hearing #3 (resumed from 9Jan). Adjourned to Th20Feb2014.
• Th20Feb2014 - Extradition hearing #4 (resumed from 6Feb) - But again adjourned to We19Mar2014 (4th time) "as one of his lawyers failed to appear".
• We26Feb2014 - Court refuses bail plea.
• We19Mar2014 - Extradition hearing #5 (resumed from 20Feb). Adjourned "final time" to Sa19Apr2014 No reason reported yet in media, but "last time" warning from court.
• Sa19Apr2014 - Date set for extradition hearing #6 (resumed from 19Mar). _Subsequntly this hearing was on We23Apr instead.
• We23Apr2014 - Extradition hearing #6 (resumed from 19Mar). Delhi High Court  judge "reserved the order for writing and pronouncement of the judgement." Next hearing is set for Th22may2014.
• Tu29Apr2014 - Puneet again refused bail by Delhi High Court (India's highest court).
• Th22May2014 - Date set for High Court's "order" to be handed down. Out of hearing #6 (We23Apr).
• Th04Sep2014 - Puneet sought five days off to "tie the knot. Judge disallowed it, gave him 1 day, had some doubts on the truth of the request as the only evidence tendered was an envelope detailing no date or anything. http://www.deccanherald.com/content/429 ... s-day.html
• Fr05Sep2014 - "Given a day by Delhi HC, accused fails to tie the knot ..."The court asked him to go by Shatabdi and return the same day after tying the knot in presence of the police force. As per the Hindu customs, a wedding can’t be solemnised in a day. So he could not tie the knot,” said a relative at Puneet’s residence in Sector 15 here."
• We29Oct2014 - New Delhi court gave another extension to Puneets lawyer who claimed that he is "still working through the case file". http://www.mygc.com.au/news/gold-coast- ... her-delay/. Australian officials at the hearing accused him outside the court of delaying tactics.
• Su10Dec2014 -  Appears in Delhi court reportedly for 25th time. Mother Geeta Rani vouws to fight the extraadition despite mounting debts and complains that he is not a terrorist, "“Mistakes happen, but that doesn’t mean they will ruin his entire life." and that he will die in Australia as Australia is a "racial" country. Time in coustody extended to jan13. He was given a few days reprieve from custody to attend hospital for tests for a "high fever and upset stomach".  http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 7151754491
• Tu13Jan2015 - Date set for about 26th hearing in Delhi. (Set around 10Dec2014)
• Tu13Jan2015-Puneet files his fourth bail plea, this time claiming that he has a urinary infection. "court has given direction today to the Safdarjung Hospital where he is being examined, to just check and see his condition and give a report. That report has been ordered to be sent to the court on 24th of January,” said (special public prosecutor, A.K. Vali)".  Main matter" is scheduled for March 3 according to Vali. http://www.indtvusa.com/indian-man-accu ... bail-plea/
• Oct 2015 - Puneet gone missing again, post bail. http://www.news.com.au/national/queensl ... se/7082486
• Mo11Jan2016 - Court again postpones extradition hearing on the basis that Puneet is suffering a kidney disease that renders him weak and that he fears racial vilification if he is sent back to Australia. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-12/i ... se/7082486
• 28Sep2016 - Claims that he was framed.
• 4Jan2017 - In court claimed that the extradition proceedings are illegal because the accident occurred before Aust and India signed it. Court said the argument was "frivolous". The next hearing is scheduled before Magistrate Jyoti Kyler on January 23. (My comment: This argument has been put before and tossed out as the treaty specifically allows for older cases to be subject to it.)
• 31May2017 - “I went to Australian to build my future, but unfortunately this accident happened (My comment: Huh? No responsibility taken still) and it ruined all my careers, shattered my dreams.” Due to the absence of Puneet’s defence counsel, Magistrate Jyoti Kyler listed the next hearing for the case on July 7.
• 8Jul2017 - Puneet again in court, coughing with face mask. Vows appeal if extradition request is successful.
• c2Aug2017 - In court again. Claiming that Australia is racist (again). Supported in court statement by long term disgruntled Jayant Dagore who had previously been denied a visa to return to Australia. Australian Indian community disagrees on the racism claims. The matter has been put over until September 5.
• c5Sep2017 - Puneet appears in court in wheelchair and surgical mask. Claims to have a diagnosis of schizophrenia.
• 16Oct2017 - Puneet continuing with his claims of racist targeting. "If instead of me it would have been an Australian guy in my place, I am sure the case would have been different." "The extradition case was adjourned again to Nov­ember 6, however a magistrate has reassured the case will be wrapped up at the next attempt."
• 6Nov2017 - Puneet case deferred to 24Nov2017 where he must prove his varioius alleged ailments (Schizophrena, kidney, liver, etc)
• 24Nov2017 - Hearing deferred again until 27Nov. Witness to alleged Oz racism is in hospital allegedly suffering gastroenteritis.
• 17Feb2018 - Failed to appear in court. Hospitalised after taking non-lethal dose of rat poison. Defence lawyer stated that the case was "of political character". Next hearing set for 26Feb2018.
• 18Mar2018 - Judge defers to defence request for "two more days" to make application for more evidence (prosecution evidence?). Deferred until 22Mar2018.
• 1Jun2018 - Defence claims Puneet not mentally fit to stand trial. Puneet wailing incourt. Judge called for "special hearing" next day (Saturday) to consider.
• 7Aug2018 - Court appearance. Revealed that Puneet failed to attend a psych evaluation that had been ordered by Judge. Puneets lawyer also failed to attend. Angry judge gave Puneet until 25Aug2018 to submit Psych evaluation.
• 5Nov2018 - Psych report submitted indicating that ""there is no reason to believe that he is not fit to stand trial". Next hearing set for 28Nov2018.
• 18Dec2018 - This court hearing adjourned due to defence lead lawyer absent, feeling "unwell" despite having been seen in the court complex corridors half an hour earlier. The clearly pissed judge denied request for an adjournment by Puneets junior lawyer, instructing the prosecutor to present his final argument. Afterwards case adjourned to 14Jan2018
At the last hearing a week before Christmas the case was adjourned until today for when Puneet's solicitors to give their closing arguments.

Today is the day that was scheduled at last appearance for Puneet's legal team to make their closing submissions (the proseuction made theirs on 18Dec). These dates tend to drift a little though.

It has seemed that the judge has lost patience in recent times. And as Puneet (ie parents) stand to lose only $4,000 bond if Puneet skips bail (within their means it seems) there is some chance that Puneet will go missing. To do so would be stupid but stupid seems to in his DNA.

Applications for extraditions are notoriously hard to win but here's hoping anyway.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:56 pm

wow

Is he being held in jail or on bail or in and out?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:46 am

mikesbytes wrote:wow

Is he being held in jail or on bail or in and out?
After many appearances, four appeals for bail and considerable time bail was eventually granted to him. However the amount was for only around $4000 which does not seem to be too great a burden for the relatively wealthy family.

I was surprised, seeing as he had fled and remained in hiding and with his families help over four years before he was finally found. I would have thought that a punitive amount would have been appropriate given his and his family's past history. An amount that would significantly affect the family's ongoing financial viability should he go missing.

While I would not expect it to happen, I will not be greatly surprised if he goes missing again. He DID go missing briefly last year but apparently later thought better of it. I never heard of any sanctions applied because of that transgression against his bail conditions.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 am

Another delay. This is not the first time that a magistrate has stated that they will accept no further deferrals.

The next hearing is set, atm, for 16 February.

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/587 ... /?cs=10230

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 am

Puneet's March 16 hearing ahs come and gone. It is reported that the hearing has been adjourned to March 14th.

If it was adjourned in order for the magistrate to consider the closing arguments then that is good. If it is just another delay before further argument then not. The couple of news items I can find do not give much idea either way.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Puneet's March 16 hearing ahs come and gone. It is reported that the hearing has been adjourned to March 14th.

If it was adjourned in order for the magistrate to consider the closing arguments then that is good. If it is just another delay before further argument then not. The couple of news items I can find do not give much idea either way.
News report I saw stated that the claim now is that it's a political witch hunt. Short interview with Martin Pakula (Vic MLA) and he was outraged :lol:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm

fat and old wrote:News report I saw stated that the claim now is that it's a political witch hunt. Short interview with Martin Pakula (Vic MLA) and he was outraged :lol:
The claim was made but that's hardly even worthy of reporting in view of the many many claims made over time by lawyers hard strapped to mount any argument that actually has any factual basis or any legal basis. Other than the money they get, I'd not be too happy having to, time and time again, present to court with nothing much to argue. It's disconcerting that it has taken so long for the courts to run short of patience.

I hope that the defense has finished with it's closing arguments originally scheduled for, I think, 28th November 2018 then rescheduled to 18December at which time Puneet's lead lawyer did not front up to court delaying the final argument again to 14 January and then rescheduled for 16th February just past when the defence team finally commenced their closing arguments but I'm not sure if they competed them. I'd hate to think that they have given Puneet's legal team even more time to close. But at this time I have seen nothing to explain the adjournment.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:09 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: But at this time I have seen nothing to explain the adjournment.
March 14 was reported without reason (fillibuster?) here on the Feb date.

But since then
....crickets....
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

cancerward

Postby cancerward » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Thoglette wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote: But at this time I have seen nothing to explain the adjournment.
March 14 was reported without reason (fillibuster?) here on the Feb date.

But since then
....crickets....
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... ned-again/

Adjourned to 2 May as defence counsel was busy. The family knows how to play the game in India.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 06, 2019 4:48 pm

May 2 was set for hearing final defence arguments (again!).

Has anyone heard anything of this in the last couple of days?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu May 30, 2019 5:46 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ictim.html

Nothing really new. Just his father ranting and rehashing crap that has already been peddled in this circus ... Although now Punneets wife is suing him for being a deadbeat dad .... one has to wonder whether it is yet another dubious legal maneuver to thwart proceedings.
Go!Run!GAH!

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu May 30, 2019 7:14 pm

"Nothing really new......" possibly the good news is that the father is speaking out because his defence lawyers have told him they've run out of options? Very much a cut and paste of an older piece...right at end says "The case resumes on July 15." reckon that is part of the older "story" and not a correct date?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri May 31, 2019 12:44 am

The line about Puneet beign the victim has been trotted out by the family on more than one previous occasion so I doubt it means much at all. Despite many attempts to do so, they have been totally unsuccessful in getting the media to take their case as victim of racist Oz.

However the news about his wife and child are totally new to me. The only previous mention about his romatic relationships was the tiem he finally got taken into custody on the eve of his wedding and a later attempt to have a day out of custody pre-bail to get married. As far I knew he never got married but, since beign out on bail he has had opportunity.

I truly do hope that the family has expended all of it's wealth. They have never been held to account at all for the years that they denied knowing his whereabouts while supporting him. And share Puneet's denial of having done anything wrong outside of having an unlucky accident. :?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri May 31, 2019 12:57 am

The "one year minimum sentence" as posited by the lawyer may hold water. I have found a reference to this in the treaty but qualified as "proposed". Mandatory sentences of ANY length are a rare thing in Oz.

However I would find it hard to accept that it is that cut and dry. Otherwise they could have stopped proceedings six years ago.
Proposed extradition process
6.10 The Extradition Treaty will apply to Australian and Indian nationals who are wanted for prosecution, or for the imposition or enforcement of a sentence, in relation to sentences with a minimum punishment of at least one year in jail.10
Extradition Treaty between Australia and The Republic of India...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 31, 2019 12:02 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The "one year minimum sentence" as posited by the lawyer may hold water. I have found a reference to this in the treaty but qualified as "proposed". Mandatory sentences of ANY length are a rare thing in Oz.

However I would find it hard to accept that it is that cut and dry. Otherwise they could have stopped proceedings six years ago.
Proposed extradition process
6.10 The Extradition Treaty will apply to Australian and Indian nationals who are wanted for prosecution, or for the imposition or enforcement of a sentence, in relation to sentences with a minimum punishment of at least one year in jail.10
Extradition Treaty between Australia and The Republic of India...
In terms of Victoria its a BS response - culpable driving causing death has a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, dangerous driving causing death carries a maximum sentence of 10 years, dangerous driving causing serious injury a max of 5 years. Similarly improper use of a foreign travel document carries a maximum penalty of 10 years.

It has to be an offence in both countries, so the real issue is what is the equivalent offence in India, which probably doesn't have dangerous driving charges.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri May 31, 2019 2:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:It has to be an offence in both countries, so the real issue is what is the equivalent offence in India, which probably doesn't have dangerous driving charges.
I would have thought that card would have been already played.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.