The constant smear campaign against cycling

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: The constant smear campaign against cycling

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:39 pm

It finds these wannabe Cadel Evanses are likely to be affluent and while they may be weekend warriors, their cycling passion doesn't tend to extend to commuting by bike
This is a standard of outgrouping that we have seen in the past in news outlets of poor quality. This is way below we expect from the ABC. Does anyone know how we can communicate to the ABC that this statement is discrimination
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Now a smear against male cyclists.

It’s not that I don’t love riding with men, I do, it’s just that the women I ride with are 90 per cent awesome; the men, maybe 20 per cent. They’re seriously good, the women I ride with. They just don’t need to prove it by being obnoxious, or by excluding those who might not know as much as they do.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 50ljk.html

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:37 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
It finds these wannabe Cadel Evanses are likely to be affluent and while they may be weekend warriors, their cycling passion doesn't tend to extend to commuting by bike
This is a standard of outgrouping that we have seen in the past in news outlets of poor quality. This is way below we expect from the ABC. Does anyone know how we can communicate to the ABC that this statement is discrimination
Tell the ABC that you'll be advocating very strongly to politicians to have their funding cut dramatically, or, for the ABC to be broken up.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Lodge complaints here:
https://www.abc.net.au/contact/complain.htm

Refer to a breach of Editorial Policy 7.7, amongst others:
https://edpols.abc.net.au/policies/7-harm-and-offence/

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm

The insult for me is that this "research" got published in the first place. And doubly so to award it the (joint) winner of a Christmas competition.

The injury is that this was reported by the ABC as actual research, rather than a pretty tacky joke by a group of people (AMA members) who should know better.

P.s. the other winner was an analysis of 007's drinking habits

Cover of the MJA 209/11. Fortunately for me the "love me, love my car" article was paywalled. :shock:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Flat bars, loose top...utility rider!!! Oh yeah

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:29 pm

fat and old wrote:Flat bars, loose top...utility rider!!! Oh yeah
[stereotype]pic cropped to remove milk crate out back [/stereotype]

uart

Postby uart » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:23 am

biker jk wrote:Now a smear against male cyclists.

It’s not that I don’t love riding with men, I do, it’s just that the women I ride with are 90 per cent awesome; the men, maybe 20 per cent. They’re seriously good, the women I ride with. They just don’t need to prove it by being obnoxious, or by excluding those who might not know as much as they do.

Yeah, that's not the first article that I've read that takes specific aim against male cyclists. Fits in pretty well with what Thoglette said above.
Thoglette wrote:MAMILS are stereotyped as "pale, male and stale" and are thus just about the only group one can take a free shot at.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm offended -- she's assuming their gender!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:26 pm

duncanm wrote:

I'm offended -- she's assuming their gender!
Obviously not Tasmanian based :lol: :lol: :lol:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:34 pm

uart wrote:

Yeah, that's not the first article that I've read that takes specific aim against male cyclists. Fits in pretty well with what Thoglette said above.
Thoglette wrote:MAMILS are stereotyped as "pale, male and stale" and are thus just about the only group one can take a free shot at.
I think it's just a male thing in general. In another recreational activity that I partake in it's very easy to co-exist, work with and talk about it with women compared to men. Men tend to be either loners or over achievers that want everyone to know what their latest achievement was. Women (for the most part) just have fun and are inclusive of anyone that either shares or enhances their experiences. That's not to say they're not competitive...some of the most hardcore competitors are female. There is just a whole lot less of them who feel that everything has to be "won".

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

fat and old wrote:In another recreational activity that I partake
I'm first and foremost a transport cyclist: riding is a better form of walking. And in the real world, gender doesn't come into it. Or if it does it's in descriptive language like mamacharis :D
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:47 pm

fat and old wrote:I think it's just a male thing in general.
you'll be strung up for pointing out men and women are fundamentally different... unless you mean women are awesome, then its ok.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:10 pm

duncanm wrote:
fat and old wrote:I think it's just a male thing in general.
you'll be strung up for pointing out men and women are fundamentally different... unless you mean women are awesome, then its ok.
Indeed, a feminist was recently kicked off Twitter for saying "men are not women". :shock:

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:42 pm

fat and old wrote: In another recreational activity that I partake in it's very easy to co-exist, work with and talk about it with women compared to men. Men tend to be either loners or over achievers that want everyone to know what their latest achievement was. Women (for the most part) just have fun and are inclusive of anyone that either shares or enhances their experiences. That's not to say they're not competitive...some of the most hardcore competitors are female. There is just a whole lot less of them who feel that everything has to be "won".
I partake in a what could be termed a gender-neutral sport where both men and woman are inclusive, and neither tend to boast about personal achievements (despite their being quite a few of note). On the 'field', they are all equal competitors, equal mix of competitiveness across the genders; all are mostly humble victors and losers who praise the winner. Off the field, all are equally social (or not).

Your anecdata is no more valid than mine.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:30 pm

[quote="mikesbytes"
This is way below we expect from the ABC. Does anyone know how we can communicate to the ABC that this statement is discrimination[/quote]

Yes, you take a piece of paper, write on it in your best handwriting or even use your word processing programme,addressing it to the Managing Director, (whoever she/he may be this week) put your name and address on it (sorry no slick nom de plumes/tags), put it in an envelope, place a dollar stamp on it and put it in one of those red Aussie Post mailing boxes.

It took a bit of work but I managed to find this address:

ABC Ultimo Centre
700 Harris Street
Ultimo NSW 2007
(GPO Box 9994
Sydney NSW 2001)

Phone (02) 8333 1234
Fax (02) 8333 1203

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

uart

Postby uart » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

duncanm wrote: I partake in a what could be termed a gender-neutral sport where both men and woman are inclusive, and neither tend to boast about personal achievements (despite their being quite a few of note).
I ride with a couple of mixed (social) groups and I also have never experienced the obnoxious over-competitive male behavior that she speaks of. I'm sure that there are plenty of very competitive male training groups, but I have never seen this as an issue with mixed gender social groups.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:50 pm

duncanm wrote:
fat and old wrote: In another recreational activity that I partake in it's very easy to co-exist, work with and talk about it with women compared to men. Men tend to be either loners or over achievers that want everyone to know what their latest achievement was. Women (for the most part) just have fun and are inclusive of anyone that either shares or enhances their experiences. That's not to say they're not competitive...some of the most hardcore competitors are female. There is just a whole lot less of them who feel that everything has to be "won".
I partake in a what could be termed a gender-neutral sport where both men and woman are inclusive, and neither tend to boast about personal achievements (despite their being quite a few of note). On the 'field', they are all equal competitors, equal mix of competitiveness across the genders; all are mostly humble victors and losers who praise the winner. Off the field, all are equally social (or not).

Your anecdata is no more valid than mine.
No, it’s not. Anecdata :lol: I like it.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Meanwhile in the glossy world of 'law abiding' motorists....

"Childhood friends die after car veers from freeway into water"

All deaths are tragic . :(

But slipped in at the end of the article after many such sympathy evoking comments....
"The pair were well known within the drifting motorsport community. The Victorian Drift Club released a statement lamenting the loss of “two great blokes”. These two boys were absolute champions and always had great big grins on their faces at events. "

Coincidence? A good amount of my sympathy evaporates when people treat cars as toys on public roads because it usually puts the general public at risk.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 am

Tragic, another wasted life

Was it the car that veered off the road or the motorist?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:13 am

human909 wrote:Meanwhile in the glossy world of 'law abiding' motorists....

"Childhood friends die after car veers from freeway into water"

All deaths are tragic . :(

But slipped in at the end of the article after many such sympathy evoking comments....
"The pair were well known within the drifting motorsport community. The Victorian Drift Club released a statement lamenting the loss of “two great blokes”. These two boys were absolute champions and always had great big grins on their faces at events. "

Coincidence? A good amount of my sympathy evaporates when people treat cars as toys on public roads because it usually puts the general public at risk.
A Mercedes GLA doesn't just get airborne on its own. And they are not difficult to handle cars. I wonder if speed was a factor.

If they'd been able to get out of the car, they would have survived. :(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:30 pm

This article came up in the Moron Motorists thread

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -them.html

The cyclists are waiting as they have a red light. Why describe them as blocking the motorist?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:06 am

mikesbytes wrote:This article came up in the Moron Motorists thread

The cyclists are waiting as they have a red light. Why describe them as blocking the motorist?
If you read the DM article on the moron motorist driving on the shared path the goose journalists make the incorrect claim that the path is a bicycle lane and has to be used by the cyclists. That is one of many examples highlighting the poor quality of journalism.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:36 am

biker jk wrote: ..........If you read the DM article on the moron motorist driving on the shared path the goose journalists make the incorrect claim that the path is a bicycle lane and has to be used by the cyclists. That is one of many examples highlighting the poor quality of journalism.
to save having to stir around in the fetid garbage to find it:

REVEALED: Cyclists who enraged a driver by taking up all of a road and forcing him to use a bike path WERE breaking the law - but not for the reason you might think

".....Police investigated the clash and have charged the driver with using a mobile phone while driving, driving on a cycle path and using offensive language.

Meanwhile one of the cyclists was interviewed and released without charge, despite the footage showing them breaking a law.....

..... cyclists are breaking the law if they fail to use a bicycle lane when there is one available, unless they have a good reason not to do so."

etc etc 3 journalists fail to differentiate between a bicycle lane and a shared path ....I don't expect everyone to understand that nuance in law but I do expect responsible journalists to ask a few simple questions that don't suit their story line or their perceptions of their intended audience

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... g-law.html

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm

mikesbytes wrote:This article came up in the Moron Motorists thread

The article is written in a way to proportion part of the blame to the cyclists even though they are following the law 100%