Goodbye Duncan Gay, Welcome Melinda Pavey

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Goodbye Duncan Gay, Welcome Melinda Pavey

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 am

There was a Sydney Cycleways post on FB yesterday about fixing both the north and the south ends with reasonable detail on the southern end.

One of my non cyclist FB friends posted "what's wrong with the northern ramp" (words to that effect). While its clear to all of us what a pain the northern steps are, I couldn't think of a good line to articulate that. What's a good short sentence to articulate why the northern end needs a ramp?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It's actually a photo taken in Bellingen, at north end of Church St.
How embarrassing - I was there & 18 months later I still get the location wrong, must be getting old.
mikesbytes wrote:What's a good short sentence to articulate why the northern end needs a ramp?
How about "I'm not good enough to ride up or down 50 stairs"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:Have you seen Pavey around Alex - the photo was taken at Coffs, but IIRC she lives about 1/2 hour south.

The photo was 18 months ago & I haven't seen her around since. She has at least not made inflamatory comments like her predecessor WD40, but I have yet to see any positive developments coming out of her office.

I wonder if she is going to be a bit like that other politician who rode a bike but did nothing to improve conditions for cyclists.

Which other politician, the Federal one or the other state one who was also very silent on bicycle issues, and even less known as a rider.

I've come back from doing big amounts of kms riding in Europe on the roads, and the difference is really staggering. The politicians here don't get it. The town officials over there in Europe do get it, they've embraced riding. It is easy to commute around on a bike or just ride on the roads in general.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:43 am

We are jealous though. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:29 am

This is not good, money from public transport being dramatically cut... but there is still plenty of money for massive road projects which are surrounded in controversy from corruption allegations, community rejection and simply shifting congestion.

This sends a strong message about the governments view of motor vehicles in our society verses walking, riding and public transport.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hundreds-of-m ... 004-gyulmx
Cycling is in my BNA

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 am

g-boaf wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Have you seen Pavey around Alex - the photo was taken at Coffs, but IIRC she lives about 1/2 hour south.

The photo was 18 months ago & I haven't seen her around since. She has at least not made inflamatory comments like her predecessor WD40, but I have yet to see any positive developments coming out of her office.

I wonder if she is going to be a bit like that other politician who rode a bike but did nothing to improve conditions for cyclists.

Which other politician, the Federal one or the other state one who was also very silent on bicycle issues, and even less known as a rider.

I've come back from doing big amounts of kms riding in Europe on the roads, and the difference is really staggering. The politicians here don't get it. The town officials over there in Europe do get it, they've embraced riding. It is easy to commute around on a bike or just ride on the roads in general.
I couldn't agree more. Cycling in the Alps and Pyrenees in late June / early July was cycling heaven. Coming back here was unpleasant.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 am

AUbicycles wrote:This is not good, money from public transport being dramatically cut... but there is still plenty of money for massive road projects which are surrounded in controversy from corruption allegations, community rejection and simply shifting congestion.

This sends a strong message about the governments view of motor vehicles in our society verses walking, riding and public transport.

It is a conservative government. They do not like to invest in public transport and hate cyclists.

Apart from that what sort of a commuter bike is this :? :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm

warthog1 wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:This is not good, money from public transport being dramatically cut... but there is still plenty of money for massive road projects which are surrounded in controversy from corruption allegations, community rejection and simply shifting congestion.

It is a conservative government. They do not like to invest in public transport and hate cyclists.

Apart from that what sort of a commuter bike is this :? :)

The Labor Party in NSW shut down Sydney's trams which was the largest network in Australia at the time. More recently, Bob Carr's 10-year reign did nothing for transport infrastructure/cycling (well he did effectively remove the toll from the M4 to encourage more motorists).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:22 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/mon ... 42667.html
The Westlink M7 cycleway added $60 million to the cost of that project, a legacy of the former roads minister Carl Scully.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:36 pm

biker jk wrote: The Labor Party in NSW shut down Sydney's trams which was the largest network in Australia at the time. More recently, Bob Carr's 10-year reign did nothing for transport infrastructure/cycling (well he did effectively remove the toll from the M4 to encourage more motorists).
I made no mention of the other side who imo are slightly better but not by much.

The current gong wallopers you have are appalling for cycling by any measure.

Public transport has been neglected in this country by governments of both persuasions for decades.
I don't think anyone would argue that conservative governments in Australia have public transport high on their agenda.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:11 pm

warthog1 wrote:

The really sad thing is that the current Premier, notorious for catching the bus to work, is acting contrary to the good work she did in 4 years as Transport Minister

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:20 pm

find_bruce wrote: The really sad thing is that the current Premier, notorious for catching the bus to work, is acting contrary to the good work she did in 4 years as Transport Minister
I should have really stayed out I have made the thread more political and I'm not across all the history or issues there.
In any case we are not doing much better here. There is some money being spent on public transport but it is a drop in the ocean compared to what is required. We haven't even got a rail link with the airport :roll:
Can't get minimum passing distance legislation up either.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:31 pm

warthog1 wrote:
find_bruce wrote: The really sad thing is that the current Premier, notorious for catching the bus to work, is acting contrary to the good work she did in 4 years as Transport Minister
I should have really stayed out I have made the thread more political and I'm not across all the history or issues there.
In any case we are not doing much better here. There is some money being spent on public transport but it is a drop in the ocean compared to what is required. We haven't even got a rail link with the airport :roll:
Can't get minimum passing distance legislation up either.
Neither side is particularly better than the other with regards to public transport or other similar forms of public transport, so it's fairly even.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Don't sweat it warthog - transport funding is always political & like g-boaf says in NSW at least there is no clear winner.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 pm

g-boaf wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/mon ... 42667.html
The Westlink M7 cycleway added $60 million to the cost of that project, a legacy of the former roads minister Carl Scully.

The Epping road cycleway is a stunning success despite the lack of a safe connection to SHB. I drive down Epping road on Friday mornings and see plenty using the cycleway. And most likely that number would triple if the link to SHB was put in. 9 years later the popularity shows how wrong the NRMA was in 2008.

Oh and that 25 cyclists per day quote was for Epping road roadway prior to the M2 and the Epping road cycleway. Those were 25 really brave cyclists... http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4334

When I've ridden on the M7 I've seen plenty of bikes. Can someone remind me how much the M7 motorway cost?

westab

Postby westab » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm

^^^ I remember and have confirmed (roughly) online that it was $2.3 billion. I don't know if it was all funded by the owners of the road or if the NSW government provided some funding.

I ride here at least 8 times each working week and except in coldest months of winter there are plenty of riders & peds using the path.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

So if I punched in the correct quantity of zero's into my calculator the M7 cycleway cost 2% of the M7

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

The really sad thing is that the current Premier, notorious for catching the bus to work, is acting contrary to the good work she did in 4 years as Transport Minister
You mean that four years in which she cut the rail line into Newcastle, increasing the number of single-occupant vehicles on the roads into the city on weekdays and pushing off-street parking to a premium? Yeah, she did a great job, that one.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 pm

biker jk wrote:The Labor Party in NSW shut down Sydney's trams which was the largest network in Australia at the time. More recently, Bob Carr's 10-year reign did nothing for transport infrastructure/cycling (well he did effectively remove the toll from the M4 to encourage more motorists).
Bob Carr's 10-year reign did nothing for anything. He and his successors were great at announcing plans, but when it came time to execute, they just announced another plan. Trigger shy? Who knows.

In the end everyone got sick of their inability to execute and it became the LNP's election to lose rather than something they had to fight to win. LNP still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory a couple of times though, until the smell of Obeid et al's corruption got too strong to ignore.

Carr was a great talker. Should have been a diplomat. The standard of politicians from either side is with few exceptions appalling.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm

You'd have to say that the current NSW government has done a lot, there's motorway projects everywhere and one train line.

My employment relies on being able to transport myself between clients, which are lined up. The gridlock that's going to occur in my area due to these new motorways is a threat to my employment

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Pavey fails cyclists.

Cyclists will have to wait at least another two years before the state government decides to deliver on its promise to provide them an alternative to hauling their bikes up several flights of stairs at the northern end of Sydney Harbour Bridge.

https://goo.gl/pLnSqR

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Yep, 2020 until they make a decision whether they will build it, how much longer until it is actually built, if at all?

If they they saved a couple of billion by not knocking down 2 stadiums they could afford it

Next state election will be held on Saturday 23 March 2019, so by putting it off until 2020, the Government are signalling they don't think its a vote winner or loser.

Will the other mob be any better ? They haven't won a seat north of the bridge in years. Call me cynical but its sounding like the spit bridge - often promised but never delivered

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 pm

.....But I'm sure my Rotovelo will fit in the new ped lift.... :idea:

It currently fits in those at rail stations.....sort of :roll:

:idea: :idea: I'll just use the lift, ride the ped side.

(I might be disabled ..if questioned)

and disembark at the other end :mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 pm

biker jk wrote:Pavey fails cyclists.

Cyclists will have to wait at least another two years before the state government decides to deliver on its promise to provide them an alternative to hauling their bikes up several flights of stairs at the northern end of Sydney Harbour Bridge.

https://goo.gl/pLnSqR
They were never ever going to build this. When is the next state election? The current government will be voted out I think and the responsibility for not doing anything for riders on the harbour bridge will be put onto the Labor government.

And while the LNP are licking their wounds in opposition, they'll be able to devise a strategy saying how Labor failed harbour bridge cyclists in time to promise the world for bike riders in time for the next election whenever that may be beyond 2020. Yeah, I'm cynical.
mikesbytes wrote:You'd have to say that the current NSW government has done a lot, there's motorway projects everywhere and one train line.

My employment relies on being able to transport myself between clients, which are lined up. The gridlock that's going to occur in my area due to these new motorways is a threat to my employment

I use public transport (bus and train) to get to my current workplace and I have basically 1.5h travel each way. It's awful. And a car isn't faster either. This is due to the improved train timetable that the Transport Minister announced. He never quite manages to explain to the people in my area how this increased travel time is an improvement. People are absolutely furious with the government over this. If the Minister turned up at my local train station (or worse, the bus interchange) he'd be attacked. That is how angry people are with the government over this, but not the train staff I might add, despite how the government has tried to portray the problems.

Not for much longer though, soon I get a smaller commute.