2017 Cycling fatalities

trailgumby

Re: 2017 Cycling fatalities

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:55 am

Daily Mail UK doing its usual graphic photos thing with shots of the rider's body trapped under the second vehicle, a Tarrago.

I should know better by now. :x

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed May 03, 2017 3:07 pm

A Perth mountain bike rider has passed away in hospital 2 weeks after crashing into a power pole.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 48ef4107c5

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am

Melbourne cyclist dies after hitting car at Elwood,Melbourne this morning.
A cyclist has died after crashing into the back of a parked car on a busy road in Melbourne.

The rider, believed to be a man in his 50s, died at the scene of the crash on Marine Parade, Elwood, about 7am on Thursday, police say.

Marine Parade has a cycle lane in between a lane of parked cars and two lanes of motor traffic.
Report from 9news.com

:shock: How do he do it when there`s a cycle lane next to it????

Screenshot from Sunrise.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu May 04, 2017 5:00 pm

I hop it is ok to add this here. Bad news for another family.

Cyclist fatality in Elwood
Thursday, 04 May 2017 08:20

Police and emergency services are currently at the scene of a fatal crash in Elwood which claimed the life of a cyclist.

It is believed the rider was riding north on Marine Parade, just south of Meredith Street, when he crashed into the rear of a parked vehicle about 7am.

The rider, believed to be a man in his 50s, died at the scene.

The man’s next of kin is yet to be notified.

Anyone who witnessed the crash or has any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Lives lost

2017: 90

2016: 98

Leading Senior Constable Kendra Jackson

Media Officer

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

MellerYeller

Postby MellerYeller » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Sad to share this. A lovely pillar of the Tamworth community.

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/s ... hard-wise/

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Discussion on the forums here: Another cyclist dies on the Beach Rd stretch

Reported in The Age
Female cyclist dies after being hit by a truck in Brighton
Emily Woods, The Age wrote:
A woman has died after being hit by a truck while she was cycling in Brighton.

The fatal crash happened at the intersection of St Kilda Street and North Road about 10am on Monday.

The cyclist, who is yet to be identified, died at the scene.

The truck driver, who was not injured, is being questioned by police.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:09 pm

A sad story. Sorry if has been posted I thought this was the right thread.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... spartandhp
A female cyclist has been killed in a crash involving a truck in Melbourne's south-east, police say.
It happened at the intersection of St Kilda St and North Rd in Brighton about 10:00am. The cyclist died at the scene. She is yet to be identified.
The male truck driver is helping investigators with their inquiries, police said. St Kilda St in Brighton leads onto Beach Rd, a popular route for cyclists on long rides or group rides, not just daily commuters.
Earlier this year, a cyclist was hit and killed by a truck in Yarraville, in Melbourne's inner west, leading to calls to improve bike lanes and signage.
The Greens said there needed to be better separation between cyclists and traffic, and more designated bike routes.
There were similar calls in 2015 after a cyclist was killed when a car door opened and knocked him into the path of a truck on Sydney Rd.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:42 pm

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:01 pm

defy1 wrote:RIP
Details about the cyclist
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... d63cad4dad
PAYWALLED!

To read this story google search for: heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/student-nurse-killed-in-cycling-accident-in-brighton

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q ... n-brighton

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:10 pm

The bike looks totally shattered. Looks like the truck might have rolled straight over her. :cry:

It also looks like it happened right at the traffic lights. I keep getting the horrible feeling that she was just waiting at the lights when the truck (possibly doing a left turn) rolled straight over her. I hope the details of exactly how it happened eventually come out in full.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:53 pm

How about we treat this with a degree of sensitivity and dignity.
I'd like to think this forum has higher standards than the Herald Sun and the rest of the tabloid press.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Tim wrote:How about we treat this with a degree of sensitivity and dignity.
I'd like to think this forum has higher standards than the Herald Sun and the rest of the tabloid press.
I'm not seeing any type of irreverence in this thread. I believe that everyone here is very much appalled and saddened by this incident .

The herald Sun article provided more details than what had previously been revealed here. Yes, many of us are very interested to know more details, but this is because we are intensely interested in bicycle road safety, and knowing the details of incidents such as this inform us of what road safety messages need pushing, and what road changes need lobbying for. This is NOT some kind of idle morbid curiosity!

If you feel that any particular post here is lacking in dignity to the women involved then please address that post specifically instead of making blanket statements like the above.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 am

Cyclist vs car on Mt nebo in Qld this morning. Cyclist is another fatality. No more details at this stage

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:34 pm

I'm with Tim.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Tim wrote:How about we treat this with a degree of sensitivity and dignity.
I think you're well off the mark with these comments.

I don't know about you, but I'm always quite shocked every time I read about one of these incidents, and am very acutely aware that there but for the grace of God go I. The desire to know more is fuelled in part by a desire that the person we lost should be known as a human being, not just as another faceless statistic. In my view, that honours the person. To not want to know who they were treats them as having no value. In my view.

It is important to find out the circumstances of their passing so that we can both protect ourselves by modifying behaviour if necessary, and agitate for change if possible. No parent should have to bury their children.

The tolerance we have for traffic deaths and trauma is simply appalling. Hundreds per year killed and twelve thousand injured in my home state alone, and around 1,500 per year killed nationally. If this happened in any industry, or in any modern theatre of military conflict the outcry would be deafening.

Where is the outrage over road deaths?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:44 pm

R.I.P.

Australian Associated Press

A cyclist has died after colliding with a four-wheel drive while riding with a group in regional Victoria.
Police believe the man lost control of his bicycle and crashed with the 4WD on Sunday afternoon on Thwaites Road in Yannathan.
The man, aged in his 50s, died at the scene. No one else was injured and the driver is assisting police with inquiries.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 pm

tragedy. was in the vic masters state road champs. RIP mate.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:14 pm

I was driving the tail car behind a dropped rider 400m behind. Thwaites road is a narrowish road, open to the wind which was blowing from behind and to the left. It was only a few km into the race and there was still a sizeable bunch.

From the conversations I heard, there was movement on the left of the bunch (possibly due to a pothole or a poor road edge) which sent uncontrolled movement to the right. It sounded like there would have been some sort of crash or near crash anyway, but this time however there was an oncoming 4WD with a horse trailer.

There is no suggestion that the vehicle was doing anything unusual.

When I got there there were already attempts at resuscitation from the St John's team in progress, but I suspect that the rider had died instantly. I didn't get any understanding whether the rider was still upright, had already fallen or was in the process of falling at the time of the collision.

Tragic all round.

Regards,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:04 pm

It is very tragic, I was just reading about it. :(

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 am

ironhanglider wrote:From the conversations I heard, there was movement on the left of the bunch (possibly due to a pothole or a poor road edge) which sent uncontrolled movement to the right.
in no way am I intending to lay blame, but if there's one thing I'd like racing cyclists to do better it's point out potholes. my experience is that some riders don't bother or think it's too hubbard for a race.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 am

jules21 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:From the conversations I heard, there was movement on the left of the bunch (possibly due to a pothole or a poor road edge) which sent uncontrolled movement to the right.
in no way am I intending to lay blame, but if there's one thing I'd like racing cyclists to do better it's point out potholes. my experience is that some riders don't bother or think it's too hubbard for a race.
A vehicle was permitted to travel in a direction contra to a bunch race on a narrow-ish road.

That's the fundamental issue.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
jules21 wrote:
A vehicle was permitted to travel in a direction contra to a bunch race on a narrow-ish road.

I would have thought critical sections would have been closed off for those times when a bunch was coming through.

In races I've been involved with, critical areas have traffic controllers to enforce temporary closures when the groups of riders are coming through. That reduces the risks associated with having cars coming through against the direction of the riders - excluding of course when a car forces its way through.

And everyone is in communication over the radios, the comm in the car, comms elsewhere on the course, and the traffic controllers and the medical people. Aside from that, there are other ways to have an idea when a bunch is expected even if the radios aren't 100 per cent. With all those methods, it should be possible to enforce road closures when needed.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
jules21 wrote:

How does that work? Surely the road would have been closed if only a rolling closure? I have no idea of how racing on the roads is organised barring the circuit around Sth Melb. Roads are closed during those races.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:30 am

fat and old wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
jules21 wrote: in no way am I intending to lay blame, but if there's one thing I'd like racing cyclists to do better it's point out potholes. my experience is that some riders don't bother or think it's too hubbard for a race.

How does that work? Surely the road would have been closed if only a rolling closure? I have no idea of how racing on the roads is organised barring the circuit around Sth Melb. Roads are closed during those races.
See above. You need traffic controllers, multiple comms (some in cars or on motorbikes), radios and phone communications. This is all set up well in advance of the event taking place in the planning and approvals for it.

I've been involved in some with rolling closures, and the others have had the course completely closed and blocked off, but those were big high profile criterium events.

I'm obviously interested in what occurred and the outcomes of it. It's an awful tragedy, and we've got to see how this can be avoided in the future without going to the level of preventing all on road racing.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
jules21 wrote:

Why would officials allow that situation and not close the road?