AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Duncan Gay retires after screwing up cycling in NSW

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 pm

"I could not be prouder of what we achieved in my portfolio over six years."
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-nationals ... w86bg.html

Why is Duncan Gay being celebrated for his "valued for his wisdom and judgment"

I am viewing this with regard to his position towards a balanced transport policy and cycling inclusion... or cycling-unfriendly policy and infrastructure. In a nutshell, the responsibility to make cycling safer has been neglected and the approach has been aggressively anti-cyclist. Duncan Gay has ensured that public transport and cycling in NSW is backwards and it is a shame.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Duncan Gay retires after screwing up cycling in NSW

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 19, 2017 8:29 pm

How much taxpayer money did he spray against a wall on multiple enquiries into registration trying to get a result he wanted?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Good to see his tail end.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Don't celebrate too soon. He is gone, but the same lot are still in power and don't seem to be changing their attitudes. :(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 pm

The positives he did were far outweighed by the negatives. I can't recall another government where a particular minisiters actions were of more concern than the party or the premier.

Whether its blameable on him or someone else or the party we are not stuck with very expensive poor decisions that will sap the budget for years, if not decades
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 am

For the investigation - I think it was $150,000 spent with the results identical to the previous investigation - essentially a recommendation not to introduce bicycle registration because the costs are prohibitive.

The legacy is a problem and often the view of transport I take when viewing transport policy is to view transport as a whole with cycling as one part - I don't expect miracles but it is proven that cycling is beneficial and if the the long term value of cycling is constantly ignored by the state government in their transport policies, it only becomes harder and more expensive in the future (even if it is still only a fraction of spending on all motor transport modes).
Cycling is in my BNA

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 22, 2017 10:19 am

Generically speaking projects that are announced by one Govt and have little or no progress when the next govt gets in get canned. Quite noticeable with train and light rail announcements in Sydney over the last 4 decades and also applies to other initiatives. From a political viewpoint if the incoming govt builds the infrastructure announced by the outgoing government, then the previous Govt gets the credit for work done with the current Government's funding.

Dunc's announcement of the ramp for the Sydney Harbour Bridge northern end is an example of a project that is badly needed but is at risk of falling the way side when the next Govt gets in.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 22, 2017 4:39 pm

I refer to Mr Gay as WD-40 as he removed this rusted on voter.

Ministerial pronouncements do not a bridge make. I will believe the Harbour Bridge ramp will be built when I see a ribbon cutting ceremony - perhaps AUbicycles can play the role of Capt de Groot.

The long lead time is the dead give away as to the low priority of the work. Remember just how quickly the Tibby Cotter bridge went up. The only group that wanted the Tibby Cotter was the SCG, but I am sure that WD-40 would say it was just a coincidence that his mate the Parrot is a trustee of the SCG.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 23, 2017 7:11 am

mikesbytes wrote:Dunc's announcement of the ramp for the Sydney Harbour Bridge northern end is an example of a project that is badly needed but is at risk of falling the way side when the next Govt gets in.
Agree... that was my fear when it was announced. A perfect announcement to get some pats on the back from the old boys before it is then defeated by the next inline.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Duncan Gay's legacy of wasting $38 million on the white elephant Albert "Tibby" Cotter bridge confirmed.

Moore Park stadium's pedestrian bridge in 'wrong place'

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/moo ... 4zlez.html