Cyclist seriously injured in Brisbane

CKinnard

Re: Cyclist seriously injured in Brisbane

Postby CKinnard » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:17 pm

human909 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:If your thickness persists, centralizing jobs, retail, entertainment contributes significantly to traffic congestion.
European cities are not as commercially centralized as Melbourne, or Sydney, or even Brisbane.
I still fail to see your point. If anything it points to improved possibilities of cycling and public transport! London and Tokyo are massive dense and centralised.
in theory I agree with you.
but I think you continue to under-appreciate the downside differences about Australia.

As I'm pressed for time, one example - Japan is perhaps the safest and cleanest country in the world to walk around in public 24/7, and their culture in particular is accustomed to being cloistered together more tightly. Australia is far from safe 24/7, particularly for women.
I get to Melbourne a few times a year, and catch the trains....and about 60% of the time I see stuff that makes me really uncomfortable, usually socially maladjusted teenagers. And the problem is so ingrained other passengers just try to ignore them!

For Australia to improve actual and perceived public safety will require a cultural and legal shift which is unlikely in our lifetimes.

a quick google :
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-10/f ... fe/8792626
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/0 ... _23071656/

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Your position is that the threat or potential threat of violence is enough to effect cycling numbers? Until this week I'd agree to a point. Maybe some women may feel uncomfortable sometimes. Now, after changing my routes due to just not wanting the confrontation anymore I can agree to a larger degree. Maybe I'm just getting to old for all this stuff now. :?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:22 pm

fat and old wrote:Your position is that the threat or potential threat of violence is enough to effect cycling numbers? Until this week I'd agree to a point. Maybe some women may feel uncomfortable sometimes. Now, after changing my routes due to just not wanting the confrontation anymore I can agree to a larger degree. Maybe I'm just getting to old for all this stuff now. :?
In my previous post, my point was more about women feeling safe using public transport.
But it also applies to cycling and associated walking to/from bike storage, especially outside peak hours.