Perth cyclist assaulted while riding on shared path. Police blame cyclist.

Graeme H

Perth cyclist assaulted while riding on shared path. Police blame cyclist.

Postby Graeme H » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:45 am

There is no shortage of victim-blaming reported on this forum, but still I find myself shocked by this outrageous example courtesy of WA Police.
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/we-shoul ... b88580039z

"After reporting the ordeal to police, (the victim) said an officer told her husband she shouldn’t have been riding at that time of the night."

It was only 7:30pm.

Three motorcyclists attacked a cyclist on a shared path that is fenced off from the adjacent controlled-access freeway and private property. Motorcycles shouldn't have been there at all. As previously reported, WA Police have been reluctant to tackle an ongoing problem of motorcycles being ridden on shared paths. Assault in company, unprovoked.

Not only do the Police allegedly make an absolutely unreasonable accusation against the victim, but they allegedly lack the integrity to tell her directly. How ineffective is the cultural awareness training if some cops think ironman competitors need their husbands to tell them when and how to ride, and to be home by nightfall? I can't comprehend this.

outnabike

Re: Perth cyclist assaulted while riding on shared path. Police blame cyclist.

Postby outnabike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Does not shock me at all. Ladies have to go around in groups for safety in his eyes. The police probably blamed the husband for letting his wife out after dark.

In Melbourne, after reporting four close passing videos the police told me on my doorstep that I did a disgraceful thing reporting them. None of them had a history of bad driving. They mostly all couldn't even remember the incident. One ladies child allegedly began to cry whilst mummy was being interviewed, asking if mummy was going to go to jail. (Officers words to me)
I came back with the fact that my family will cry too, if these drivers run me over. It had nil effect on the policeman.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:12 pm

The woman should make a formal complaint to the Police Commissioner.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:46 pm

A formal complaint is the right approach - where there is disinterest or bias By law enforcement which contradicts the law or their ability to perform their role as an officer is expected to do, it needs to addressed.

I feel that it is down to both invidual personalities and vuess as well as sometime a culture of one station or stations across a region.

I was told by an officer after an almost being hit head on by a vehicle overtaking on double lines "I don't know why you ride on the roads" and provided false information that video I had was not submissable and could'nt be used. I wrote to the area command about the video requesting clarity and they confirmed that the information provided was incorrect - though the duty offer could nake a judgement whether or not to do anything (like issue an infringement notice).

That particular officer was completely disinterested and simple didn't want to deal with it... not serious enough as no one was hurt. At the same station I have talked with other motivated officers who are genuinely interested in their role in society.
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:03 pm

A formal complaint is most definitely the way to go, perhaps even seek out assistance from a local community legal service for drafting and protocol.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Now it's been reported publicly you can bet your bike that the police will be sking for answers regardless of any formal complaint.

And there are any number of the public who take similar stands - dond't wear short skirts, don't hitchhike etc. You will see the same community attitudes in the police force. So keep in mind that this is one idiot cop, not the cops generally.

It pays to also keep in mind that not everything people tell the media is as it went down. If it were then most accidents would be the fault of cyclists. We all have out own agendas
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle