You've heard of a left hook...

octopusbananas

You've heard of a left hook...

Postby octopusbananas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Today I got right hooked!

It happened approaching a t-junction on my way home. I pulled up on the right hand side of the lane (indicating) to turn right . Nice fellow in a sedan pulls up on my left (to turn left, I naively think). Only right as I clip in to head off I see out of the corner of my eye he's indicating right!!! I wisely stop and let him go (read: I seemed to be invisible despite waving my arms and yelling choice things at him). The multitude of ways motorists find to be stupid never ceases to amaze me.

trailgumby

Re: You've heard of a left hook...

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 pm

octopusbananas wrote:Today I got right hooked!

It happened approaching a t-junction on my way home. I pulled up on the right hand side of the lane (indicating) to turn right . Nice fellow in a sedan pulls up on my left (to turn left, I naively think). Only right as I clip in to head off I see out of the corner of my eye he's indicating right!!! I wisely stop and let him go (read: I seemed to be invisible despite waving my arms and yelling choice things at him). The multitude of ways motorists find to be stupid never ceases to amaze me.
And it's not even May weather! (Boom tish!)

Glad your driver stupidity radar was working.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: You've heard of a left hook...

Postby antigee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 pm

best not to underestimate the ability of some drivers to achieve must get in front - been caught a few times by illegal lane swaps and overtakes when taking the lane - still experience and defensive riding has worked so far - annoying one today:

sat at stop line in a residential road - planning on going to right lane of 2 lanes on a 4 lane split by tram track to enter a right turn lane (staggered straight ahead)

Road exit quite wide so I'm sat in the middle of where a right turn lane would be - delivery truck pulls up on my left, window down and says "what the f' are you doing" I point to the lane I'm heading for - traffic clears and he floors it to pass me and get there first - i then follow him and pedal along sat behind his drivers side rear blowing kisses and offering to have his kids every time he looks in his mirror as he slows me down thru parked cars, junctions and speed humps as he rat runs the 500m to the next main road