Cycling Curfew ... A Matter of Common Sense [Apparently]

Aushiker

Cycling Curfew ... A Matter of Common Sense [Apparently]

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:35 pm

CYCLE CURFEW
Fremantle Gazette14 Nov 2017
THERE has been a lot of discussion about cyclists on the road. It is my opinion that not all cyclists should be allowed on the road. There should be a minimum age for a person to ride on the road.

Cyclists should not be on the road until an hour after daylight to an hour before dark, no matter whether they have lights on their bike or not. Some busy roads, particularly those with trucks or heavy traffic, should not allow cyclists at all.

Most road accidents involving a cyclist and a motor vehicle usually happen early morning or late afternoon.

Local councils spend thousands of dollars building excellent bike paths to keep cyclists safe. It all gets down to common sense.

FRANK GRANGER, Applecross
I would like to reply to Mr Granger so if you have any suggested points to make please do share. I will probably check the BITRE crash data which I suspect does not support Mr Granger views and then of course is the actual crash data for motor vehicles. Anything else to add?

eldavo

Re: Cycling Curfew ... A Matter of Common Sense [Apparently]

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 pm

You don't need any data or intellectual integrity to respond in kind. Replace cyclists with "old people" and variations of geriatric, over 55's, pensioners, elderly, invalids, and maybe a personal e.g. "I've only seen carnage in my 55 years experience".

Ending with "all levels of government spend billions of dollars keeping old people alive. It comes down to common sense."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 pm

My draft reply is as follows ... feedback or suggestions most welcome ...

I am writing in reply to Mr Frank Granger, “Cycle Curfew”, Fremantle Gazette, November 14, 2017. The writer’s claim that most accidents [actually crashes not accidents] usually happen early morning or late afternoon caught my attention so I did a fact check. Referring to the Australian Roads Death Database, 252 cyclist fatalities are listed for the period 2011-2017. Assuming for the simplicity sake the hours of daylight are between 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM, I note that 70 deaths occurred during the hours of darkness and 182 during daylight hours. Whoops, it seems that most crashes actually occur during the day.

Of greater concern however is that during that same period there were 8,412 deaths on our roads of which 253 where cyclists. It seems to me Mr Granger needs to rethink his priorities and to reflect on where the real issue lies.

We can of course then go into the data analysis [well published] showing where the highest risk is to bycle riders and that is I am afraid the motorist [~80% of bicycle rider fatalities are the fault of motorists].

So, no Mr Granger your curfew is not a solution. I suggest rather that you might want to start with respecting all road users, irrespective of their choice of transport. After all it comes down to common sense.

Andrew ...
Bicycle Rider and Motor Vehicle Operator

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 am

The author forgot that there are three C’s and misrepresented the one he got.

Commonsense, Care and Courtesy.
Cycling is in my BNA

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:My draft reply is as follows ... feedback or suggestions most welcome ...

... of which 253 where cyclists...
It needs to be "were", not "where".

Good letter, though. Well done.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 pm

If the drivers of cars, and the professional drivers of trucks are unable to not run into things at dusk and dawn - then they should be banned from the roads during those hours.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:25 pm

CYCLE CURFEW
Fremantle Gazette14 Nov 2017
THERE has been a lot of discussion about drivers on the road. It is my opinion that not all drivers should be allowed on the road. There should be a maximum age for a person to drive on the road.

Drivers should not be on the road until an hour after daylight to an hour before dark, no matter whether they have lights on their car or not. Some busy roads, particularly those with cyclists or pedestrians, should not allow drivers at all.

Most road accidents involving a cyclist and a motor vehicle usually happen during the day.

Local councils spend thousands of dollars building mediocre bike paths to keep cyclists fearing for their lives. It all gets down to common sense.

FRANK GRANGER, Applecross
Just tidied up Frank's letter for him.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Great letter.

In addition to what you have I'd ask a further question. If countries like Germany, Italy and the UK can get sharing the road with cyclists right, what's wrong with Australian drivers that treating vulnerable users with courtesy and respect appears to be so difficult? It's not like the roads are bad. In fact they are better in Australia.

I'd suggest Frank needs to have his night vision tested and if necessary have conditions placed on his license so that he is less of a hazard to other road users, whether on two wheels or four.
Last edited by trailgumby on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Most road accidents involving a cyclist and a motor vehicle usually happen early morning or late afternoon.
My latest "close call" while commuting was a tradie having to put his brakes on after starting to pull out across the double lane road I was riding on. At 3:30pm on a sunny afternoon, with my Fly12 on maximum brightness flashing mode, and me wearing a hi viz orange jersey.

Ol' Frank is full of something, but it ain't common sense, or facts.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 pm

RobertL wrote:
Aushiker wrote:My draft reply is as follows ... feedback or suggestions most welcome ...

... of which 253 where cyclists...
It needs to be "were", not "where".

Good letter, though. Well done.
Thanks. There is a reason I teach accounting :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone. I made few changes reflective of the comments here and have sent it in. Some good stuff for the next one too :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm

I think Frank's concerns are more to do with his convenience than the safety of anyone on a bike.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Had I replied to Frank I would have suggested that he should probably be pushing for mandatory driver retesting every 2-3 years and/or completion of mandatory advanced driver training courses run by accredited training schools. Then regular retesting.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Aushiker wrote:Oh it seems Mr Granger is a bit of a letter writer ... and in respect to bicycle riders he has a bit of a bee in his bonnet for sure.
That's often the case. I have a cyclist hater writing frequent letters to my local newspaper, often poorly disguised as motivated by pedestrian safety or the safety of cyclists themselves. It's amazing how many dumb people know how to write.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:Oh it seems Mr Granger is a bit of a letter writer ... and in respect to bicycle riders he has a bit of a bee in his bonnet for sure.
He sure does. "Cyclists should this..." and "It should be an offence for cyclists to do that.."

He needs to stop shoulding all over himself. I'm amazed he's not embarassed by the mess. Serial complainer.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 pm

biker jk wrote:
That's often the case. I have a cyclist hater writing frequent letters to my local newspaper, often poorly disguised as motivated by pedestrian safety or the safety of cyclists themselves. It's amazing how many dumb people know how to write.
How is arald screwloose? Didn't realise his fax machine reached WA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:
biker jk wrote:
How is arald screwloose? Didn't realise his fax machine reached WA
Biker jk is on the Northern Beaches somewhere. We stalk each other but have yet to meet :lol:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:58 pm

trailgumby wrote: Biker jk is on the Northern Beaches somewhere. We stalk each other but have yet to meet :lol:
Both those statements are incorrect. :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm

biker jk wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Biker jk is on the Northern Beaches somewhere. We stalk each other but have yet to meet :lol:
Both those statements are incorrect. :lol:
:oops:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:38 pm

A pity he doesn't put that energy into doing something useful.

"Of greater concern however is that during that same period there were 8,412 deaths on our roads of which 253 where cyclists. It seems to me Mr Granger needs to rethink his priorities and to reflect on where the real issue lies."

Did he respond his solution to the 8,159 deaths that weren't cyclists?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Mr Granger needs to rethink his priorities and to reflect on where the real issue lies."
I like the guys like Mr Granger and thanks to the press for printing the garbage - helps you know you enemy - upfront and another C ...Condescending - his help I don't need, ever. - suspect his next priority will be moving to a house overlooking a roundabout that has a cycle lane on it ....just please don't tell me he is a local councillor

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 am

Is it a coincidence, or is it "that Nikon guy." I knew there was a reason I didn't like Nikon cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBdMccLD7w

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 am

mikesbytes wrote:Did he respond his solution to the 8,159 deaths that weren't cyclists?
Not yet but then my letter to the editor will not be printed until next week (assuming that they will print it) then it will be another week if Mr Granger replies.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 am

Kronos wrote:Is it a coincidence, or is it "that Nikon guy." I knew there was a reason I didn't like Nikon cameras.
Its a coincidence; Matt lives in New York now I believe.