Fine time as bike passing laws kick in ... Truckie Peter Plaisted Struggles to Change Lanes

Aushiker

Fine time as bike passing laws kick in ... Truckie Peter Plaisted Struggles to Change Lanes

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Our friends at the News Corporation publication has continued its yin and yang approach to discussing the new WA safe passing laws this week in the Fremantle Gazette [Tuesday, November 28, 2017] with an article, "Fine time as bike passing laws kick in".

The article includes a photo and comment from Mr Peter Plaisted, truckie who has an issue with the new laws ... To quote Mr Plaisted ...

"increasing congestion meant it could be difficult or dangerous to move a truck to the outside lane to give enough space to cyclists."

Keep in mine we are talking a dual lane road here ....

Interestingly Mr Plaisted however I assume feels it is okay and hence I guess not dangerous to pass in the same lane with is 2.5 metre truck in a 3.5 m lane (his figures). Go figure.

Oh Mr Plaisted also thinks it should be mandatory for cyclists to wear high-visibility vests and he "disagreed that drivers of all vehicles should just adapt to the greater number of bikes now on major roads" but I assume they have to adapt to the "increased congestion" he referred to earlier.

BTW both roads he mentioned, Canning Highway and Fremantle Traffic bridge don't get a large number of riders, with a short section (probably 800 m) of Canning Highway. Neither are great riding environments for starters.

Anyway I am open to suggested comments/facts to include in a response.

Tim

Re: Fine time as bike passing laws kick in ... Truckie Peter Plaisted Struggles to Change Lanes

Postby Tim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Mr Plaisted appears to have little respect for human life, particularly his own.

trailgumby

Re: Fine time as bike passing laws kick in ... Truckie Peter Plaisted Struggles to Change Lanes

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Tim wrote:Mr Plaisted appears to have little respect for human life, particularly his own.
Yup. Inactivity and overeating, at a minimum.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Unless we also hear about the WA police force investing in some sort of proactive measures to pursue offenders (whether its the devices that can measure passing distance used by US police or those mat templates distributed to uk police) then we can expect this piece of legislation to follow the same trajectory as the other states.
Go!Run!GAH!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 pm

I suggest keeping it short and sweet, pointing out that these are multi-lane roads so people will always have room to change lanes, so what's the problem. Perhaps end in a simple question: Why didn't Mr. Plaisted change lanes when he was stuck behind 2 cyclists at 15 km/h last week?

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Why don't we all follow the tip just below the article, and submit our videos of bad behaviour on W.A. roads? It just won't be the bad behaviour they had in mind, that's all. :twisted:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:Why don't we all follow the tip just below the article, and submit our videos of bad behaviour on W.A. roads? It just won't be the bad behaviour they had in mind, that's all. :twisted:
That did occur to me :)

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:42 pm

I'd query why, if he is so concerned with the law and safety, he apparently illegally drove his vehicle over a footpath in order to stage the photograph (to my eye they are between Craig St and Leslie Rd on Stirling Highway). I'd also point out that the footpath there is less than 1.5m wide which is far too narrow for cyclists to use going bi-directionally, particularly when potentially shared with a wide load like Mr Plaisted.

Furthermore I'd point out that Public Transport Busses also use the majority of roads he has complained about and often stop in the left lane where there are no bus bays. What does he do when he comes upon a stopped bus when he can't figure out what to do when behind moving cyclists in the same location?

Finally I would ask him why skip bins are apparently such a time sensitive cargo that he can't wait behind cyclists until it is safe to pass (unless it is another Mr Peter Plaisted who owns and operates Pete's Gold Bins in Nedlands WA).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:57 pm

I have become a Mr Frank Granger, serial letter writer :) I have sent the following into the Fremantle Gazette and Western Suburbs Weekly. It looks like all 17 Community Newspaper Group mastheads have run the same story so please do share your viewswith your local or otherwise masthead.

With the greatest respect and genuine concern [Fine time as bike passing laws kick in, November 28, 2017], I suggest Mr Peter Plaisted should seriously focus on his obesity concerns and worry less about a few seconds delay getting to the next set of traffic lights or how to move the steering wheel in his truck to change lanes.

Mr Plaisted if you cannot pass safely then yes you need to wait, just like you need to wait for those buses on Canning Highway. Your “inconvenience” [seriously is a few seconds really that a big an issue for you?] is no justification for bullying a person simply because they ride a bike.

As to the Hi-Viz comment: please ensure you focus on your driving and observing what is happening in front of you Mr Plaisted; that is a far smarter and beneficial safety feature.

In closing, I genuinely welcome the new safe passing laws and look forward to a safer environment for all road users, including Mr Plaisted.

Remember it is simply a matter of common sense, care and courtesy.
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:46 pm

his name is Peter isn't it?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 pm

jindydiver wrote:his name is Peter isn't it?
Yes it is. I posted an earlier draft here in error. Now corrected.