Bontrager's Mission to Make Cyclists More Visible

trailgumby

Re: Bontrager's Mission to Make Cyclists More Visible

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 pm

CKinnard wrote:so what's your plan B?
Buy all the News Corp voting stock, sack all the right wing trolls, and hire Paul Kimmage.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:04 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Buy all the News Corp voting stock, sack all the right wing trolls, and hire Paul Kimmage.
:lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:10 pm

trailgumby wrote:
An old mate is one of Rupert's inner sanctum. He is an avid roadie, and was responsible for getting Sky to sponsor a cycling team. Two of Murdoch's sons and a typically high % of his senior mgt ride. So it has astounded me they are not more sensitive to the cyclist/motorist issue in their reporting.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:51 pm

CKinnard wrote:
An old mate is one of Rupert's inner sanctum. He is an avid roadie, and was responsible for getting Sky to sponsor a cycling team. Two of Murdoch's sons and a typically high % of his senior mgt ride. So it has astounded me they are not more sensitive to the cyclist/motorist issue in their reporting.
He has a very successful business model.
Populism and striking a chord with the masses.
You would assume continuing to marginalise and negatively portray cycling is seen as aligning with popular sentiment and furthering sales.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:11 pm

CKinnard wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Problem is that old Grandpa is pretty sensitive to the readers and what they want, or at least seems to be. And so that comes first. The readers don't want PC B.S. and they hate Clover Moore and everything she stands for. They also hate the left wing, along with those bicycle riders.They also love the likes of Mark Latham, Rowan Dean, Shari Markson, Miranda Devine and Andrew Bolt. Out of that lot, I think it's hard to pick who is worst, maybe Markson, Devine and Bolt in that order perhaps, but it's a close contest. Reading a Markson column, you'd be mistaken for thinking that everyone is out to get us, we'd better lock our doors and get into survivalist mode... But not a peep about car drivers harassing bike riders though.

I could launch into a typical News Limited reader anti-bicycle rider rant with all the usual hyperbole, but I won't.

Yes, let's take over News Corp and put Kimmage in control.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:34 pm

I was with this mate in LA last year during the primaries and Tour of California.
He is usually based in Europe or Oz, but was there for the primaries and 21st Century Fox stuff.
He pointed out that Fox were killing it in ratings and ad revenue.
They are essentially the only conservative television in the USA, with the biggest cable audience.
So lefty advertisers were pouring ad revenue into Fox to try and turn conservatives against Trump.
Fox in turn created more Trump editorial to place the ads!!!
No need for the left to preach to the converted.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Isn't it fascinating how far conversations move away from the initial topic :)

Anyway, I don't generally enter safety debates as I'm far far away from being the poster child for cycling safety. Not always at the same time, but I use Headphones, wear Black shirts, Knicks, ride a black bike, even so far as using a black/grey Camo helmet.

But my default mindset is it's my responsibility to be aware of what's around me at all times, even in the car. Admittedly it will still only take one accident, but I've avoided many by staying out of the path of idiots.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Cardy George wrote: Anyway, I don't generally enter safety debates as I'm far far away from being the poster child for cycling safety. Not always at the same time, but I use Headphones, wear Black shirts, Knicks, ride a black bike, even so far as using a black/grey Camo helmet.
what's the utilitarian value of wearing black?

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:26 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Cardy George wrote: Anyway, I don't generally enter safety debates as I'm far far away from being the poster child for cycling safety. Not always at the same time, but I use Headphones, wear Black shirts, Knicks, ride a black bike, even so far as using a black/grey Camo helmet.
what's the utilitarian value of wearing black?
Fair question, but I've probably not painted the best picture of myself. I own far more team jerseys than black shirts, and black Knicks are black Knicks. The black bike was a freebie and the helmet was and combination of affordable and accessible.

Black is sooooo not my colour :lol:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 am

Personally I'd never wear black jerseys, not just for visibility but I live in Perth and riding in black in summer does not appeal to me :)

I always run my Fly6 and 12 morning, day or dusk. I commute in hi viz and don't buy 100% dark coloured jerseys (my skeleton jersey is maroon but the ribs are cream). I figure nothing will ever make me visible for those texting or DUI, but when I'm driving I notice cyclists with lights much more readily than those without. And I am consciously looking for them.

I still had some knobhead start to pull out in front of me recently despite the 400 lumen flashing light and my bright orange jersey. He stopped after crossing the first of 2 lanes so lucky he saw me... eventually...
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 am

p.s. I need to buy some hi viz bright orange socks, for "bio motion visibility" and also to match the orange highlights on my bike :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 am

I have noted that the fluoro green jerseys on cyclists stand out more when driving my car.
Has had me thinking about getting one or two, for riding on duller days. Or just even socks that colour.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 am

For country riding I think red stands out best against a bush and scrub or grassy paddocks background.
Even flouro yellow or green tends to blend into a country landscape on a bright sunny day.
Agree that brightly coloured moving socks are a good idea. I have a new range of really comfortable merino, Australian made red, yellow and bright blue pairs.
I've noticed quite a few runners and (women in general) sporting a newish looking flouro orange colour which really stands out in a bold way. I can't ever remember dressing in orange but if this shade was available in cycling kit I'd leap at it.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Regarding colors, I remember the black jersey thing took off in cooler climates among pros about 15 years ago, but they ride on closed roads usually in groups. So their safety concerns are not the same as the rest of us.

I've had 2 black jerseys and they just aren't right for Qld for most of the year, purely for the additional heat they retain. (same goes for black cars).

I suppose their popularity is due to the "slimming and muscle definition effects" and black is bad ass. :roll:

Anyway, I notice Team Sky at TDU have finally changed from black to something more appropriate for the heat.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:24 pm

The young bloke who was killed here recently was wearing black kit and a matt black helmet.
I have my suspicions around phone use by the driver.
However I will not wear black jerseys again, I already have a red and white helmet.

Yes I know it is not the responsibility of the vulnerable to be visible and it may have made no difference in this case. I am just explaining my choice.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 pm

warthog1 wrote:The young bloke who was killed here recently was wearing black kit and a matt black helmet.
I have my suspicions around phone use by the driver.
However I will not wear black jerseys again, I already have a red and white helmet.

Yes I know it is not the responsibility of the vulnerable to be visible and it may have made no difference in this case. I am just explaining my choice.
It’s not the responsibility of anyone to explain their choices in life if they don’t encroach on others freedom. It’s been nice to see a lack of howling monkeys rising up and slinging poop at the idea of fluoro/bright clothing.

I can wear black. Nobody can miss a beached whale 8) :lol: But my shoes or socks are always fluoro/bright

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm

fat and old wrote: It’s not the responsibility of anyone to explain their choices in life if they don’t encroach on others freedom. It’s been nice to see a lack of howling monkeys rising up and slinging poop at the idea of fluoro/bright clothing.

I can wear black. Nobody can miss a beached whale 8) :lol: But my shoes or socks are always fluoro/bright
:) :lol:
Good idea on the shoes, colour and movement.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:what's the utilitarian value of wearing black?
It hides the grease/dirt/ stains when you wipe your hands on your shirt.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm

bychosis wrote:
CKinnard wrote:what's the utilitarian value of wearing black?
It hides the grease/dirt/ stains when you wipe your hands on your shirt.
Historically, cyclists wiped their hands on their (black) knicks...