BQ White Helmet campaign

Thoglette

BQ White Helmet campaign

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:55 pm

According to the ABC on the ABC BQ are running some sort of "white helmet" campaign.
Lara Lauth, ABC wrote: The White Helmet campaign encourages riders who want to show they are committed to sharing the road, obeying the law and respecting fellow road users to fix a piece of white fabric or a white label to their bicycle or clothing.
Anyone know more?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

roller

Re: BQ White Helmet campaign

Postby roller » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 pm

from Bicycle Queensland's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/bicycle.qld/)

Bicycle Queensland (Yesterday at 05:03):

#truce #whitehelmetcampaign
Friends. We're on the front page of today's Courier Mail - pleading with Queenslanders to help us create safe streets.
Riders who want to signify their commitment to sharing the road, obeying the law, and respecting fellow road users are asked to fly the white flag.
You can do this any way you like (as long as it’s lawful) - fix a white piece of fabric to your bike, stick a white label on your helmet, wear a white armband - heck, tie a white shoelace on your handlebar if it’s all you’ve got.
#peaceonourroads #nomorebikewars
inflammatory statement or idea

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:36 pm

roller wrote:Riders who want to signify their commitment to sharing the road, obeying the law, and respecting fellow road users are asked to fly the white flag.
That sounds pretty absurd really. The implication of such behaviour suggests that many riders are not committed to sharing the road, obeying the law, and respecting fellow road users.

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 pm

human909 wrote:That sounds pretty absurd really. The implication of such behaviour suggests that many riders are not committed to sharing the road, obeying the law, and respecting fellow road users.
Yes, that was my impression on reading that story too. It would make a lot more sense if they had motorists wearing those helmets. That's surely where the real problem in sharing the road resides.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 am

human909 wrote:
roller wrote:Riders who want to signify their commitment to sharing the road, obeying the law, and respecting fellow road users are asked to fly the white flag.
That sounds pretty absurd really. The implication of such behaviour suggests that many riders are not committed to sharing the road, obeying the law, and respecting fellow road users.
It's a stupid thought bubble. Utterly dumb. I share the road, but do not wear a white helmet. White shoelace? I mean really, a motorist is supposed to look for the white shoelaces.

And who on earth supports this lot?

Is the organisation just a front for a motorist group?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 am

Utterly ludicrous idea.
But unsurprising based on my communication with BQ in the past.
It's rare I encounter high caliber well rounded and grounded people in such organizations.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:57 am

Epic fail by Bicycle Queensland.
So bad, it's no wonder g-boaf thinks they're astroturfers.
Did my bit to throw eggs at them on their FB post.
They appear connected with the Courier Mail and are feeding the war fallacy with a surrender campaign concocted in their own Petri dish.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 am

Fly a white flag? The universal symbol of defeat? Are they nuts? I’m supposed to ride around pleading for mercy?

I’m thinking G-boaf is right...they have to be a front. No serious advocates would try this with a straight face.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 am

So are we also supposed to assume now that any motorists who aren't driving white cars have no commitment whatsoever to sharing the road, obeying the law, and respecting fellow road users?
Actually, wait... that's already the case, isn't it? :roll: Except even those driving white cars couldn't give a stuff about the road rules.

Sometimes, I think we'd be better of than we are now if Australia had no cycling advocacy organisations.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 am

So if we DONT do this - Are motorists free to aim for the people without something white because they aren't supporting the truce :P

I don't really see a motorist going "LOOK AT THIS JOKER ON THE ROAD!!! - oh wait....white helmet.....good day to you sir" as he drives past giving a wide berth and going 20km/h

Heres a campaign - "Don't drive like an idiot around cyclists....and don't ride like an idiot around cars"

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

Good thing I have a white car & wear a white helmet 8)
I can go to Queensland and wave the flag for cyclists :P

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 pm

In related news, "Our Watch", an Australian organization for the prevention of violence against women has recommended the mandatory wearing of chastity belts (with hefty fines for non compliance) for all women who wish to enter any public space.

Not mandatory, but strongly advocated by the group, is that women also wear a white T-shirt with the slogan "Please don't rape me master" emblazoned on the front, and "I'll be back home and in the kitchen as soon as possible" on the back.

It's good to see real progress like this finally being made. :?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:17 pm

not sure how this will pan out - other than in the press there is no war between cyclists and drivers - there is just ill mannered road thuggery by a (significant) number of drivers who are then ignorant enough to be claim to be affronted that anyone would be stupid enough to choose to ride a bicycle on "their" roads - I suspect that BicycleQueensland is about to find out the difference between "using the press' and "being used by the press" - hope I'm wrong

anyway all will be well BicycleQueensland "have a plan........"

talking of "cunning plans" reminds me a bit of this line from the final classic Blackadder series - just before they go over the top of the trenches and Baldrick doesn't get the chance to announce his latest "cunning plan"

Voice: Fix bayonets!

They start to go outside........

Edmund: Don’t forget your stick, Lieutenant.

George: Oh no, sir — wouldn’t want to face a machine gun without this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:34 pm

fat and old wrote:Fly a white flag? The universal symbol of defeat? Are they nuts? I’m supposed to ride around pleading for mercy?

I’m thinking G-boaf is right...they have to be a front. No serious advocates would try this with a straight face.
I've love to meet with their senior people and have a 'discussion' about this. It's so bad it's almost like some joke, only it isn't and someone there obviously had this thought bubble and put it into action. I'll bet they never discussed it with any of the normal riders out there.

It's why I never trust advocacy groups.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am

This bit of nonsense is a stablemate to the ubiquitous "baby-on-board" sticker affected by soccer mums driving giant four-wheel-drives that they cannot properly handle. What are you supposed to think when you see one of those stickers on a car? I have got an overwhelming urge to smash into that car but I suppose I'd better control myself because there is a baby in it?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 am

The purpose of the baby on board stickers is that in the event the car is involved in an accident, that first aiders check the car and surrounds for a baby.

I used to be as perplexed as you until an ambo told me.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am

Philistine wrote:This bit of nonsense is a stablemate to the ubiquitous "baby-on-board" sticker affected by soccer mums driving giant four-wheel-drives that they cannot properly handle. What are you supposed to think when you see one of those stickers on a car? I have got an overwhelming urge to smash into that car but I suppose I'd better control myself because there is a baby in it?
My usual response is that "baby-on-board" stickers are excellent if you put them in the correct place - smack dab in the middle of the steering wheel. It has however been suggested to me that they are actually a warning that the driver may be tired, emotional & distracted by screaming from the back seat.

This is pretty much a "me too" post to the rest of the comments about the stupidity of BQ's idea - is there anyone outside of the BQ "brains trust" that thinks this is a good idea ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am

If this rubbish is true then it shows BQ as a complete Uncle Tom organisation that is in a state of surrender.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:11 pm

CKinnard wrote:The purpose of the baby on board stickers is that in the event the car is involved in an accident, that first aiders check the car and surrounds for a baby.

I used to be as perplexed as you until an ambo told me.
A baby seat is surely a MUCH better indication than a sticker which is not widely used could still be around well after that baby is no longer on board.

I would suggest that the ambo has his or her wires crossed. Sure some people might thing that but many do not. And finding the exact source and meaning of the original text would be nigh on impossible.

But lets have a look here:
Some parents think the stickers help emergency services in the case of an accident but NSW police say that’s not the case.

The sign is not for emergency services, but more of a notice to other drivers. Anyone using these signs must ensure they are not obstructing the driver’s view,” a NSW Police spokesperson told Mamamia.

It seems emergency services departments across the country use their own protocols and don’t officially use the stickers as a tool for first responders.

Julie-Anne Newman, Acting Sergeant from Victoria Police, says the stickers are not reliable for indicating injured small passengers in a car accident.

“If police were to sight a sticker such as ‘Baby on Board’ when attending a collision scene, they may keep this in mind however – in the first instance information would be gleaned from the scene, from victims, from witnesses and from police enquiries,” she told Mamamia.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:19 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:If this rubbish is true then it shows BQ as a complete Uncle Tom organisation that is in a state of surrender.
Best to get in touch with them and let them know how you feel. Even if you aren't in QLD, their actions affect people in other states.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 pm

human909 wrote:
I would suggest that the ambo has his or her wires crossed. Sure some people might thing that but many do not. And finding the exact source and meaning of the original text would be nigh on impossible.
I actually thought as Bruce described...the sticker was a warning of possible erratic driving due to baby. Reading this ambo claim, I spoke to old mate ambo and old mate fire rescue man today and they confirmed it. :shock: I had no idea. They didn't know if that was the original purpose, but what it is to them now. One Vic, one Qld'er.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:52 pm

fat and old wrote:
human909 wrote:
I actually thought as Bruce described...the sticker was a warning of possible erratic driving due to baby. Reading this ambo claim, I spoke to old mate ambo and old mate fire rescue man today and they confirmed it. :shock: I had no idea. They didn't know if that was the original purpose, but what it is to them now. One Vic, one Qld'er.
H909 is correct as as far as I'm concerned.
I see them as a please drive safely around me sticker. Nothing ,more.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

fat and old wrote:, I spoke to old mate ambo and old mate fire rescue man today and they confirmed it.
Old mates aren't reliable sources of information. I'd take official communication from those higher up the chain at higher value. Though like I said, whoever discerning the original motivations of the first person who put such designations on cars is impossible.

There ARE various official advisories on vehicles for the emergency departments. But this isn't one of them.
warthog1 wrote:H909 is correct as as far as I'm concerned.
I see them as a please drive safely around me sticker. Nothing ,more.
Yep. Just like the "Urgent Blood Delivery Stickers".

Just a sticker to aid those in the vehicle. Nothing more.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm

OMGosh.
2018 is off to a good start ..... putting more than a few words down to ponder the worth of a car rear window sticker?
The helmet thing sounds a bit rubbish.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 pm

human909 wrote:Though like I said, whoever discerning the original motivations of the first person who put such designations on cars is impossible.
My ambo woman told me the sticker story in the mid 80s, a few years after I first saw them, probably before THAT NSW policeman was born.

As for the police version, I'm sad to say the police are not a credible source of anything to me these days, including legal bicycle use on roads, and protecting the public from home invasions and being run over by "NOT terrorists"!

OK, that's the OT sticker story done to death......NExT! so at lunch today I was down at the local indoor pistol range with a bunch of gun owners of all ages. Most naturally had hand gun licenses. The conversation was spirited and informative. though it would be OT to go into it here. :shock: