2018 Cycling Fatalities

redsonic

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities

Postby redsonic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Does anyone on here know that roundabout? A look on Google seems to show that the cycle lane is diverted off road in order to cross Mentone View Rd well back from the intersection. May seem sensible at first, but it forces cyclists to cross a road which is designed for high entry speeds into the roundabout. At least if a cyclist stayed on the road and took the left lane, traffic from the left (she was going South) would have the onus to give way.

Not keen to post an image since the Photobucket fiasco, but here is the satellite view:

Google Satellite

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:43 pm

redsonic wrote:Does anyone on here know that roundabout? A look on Google seems to show that the cycle lane is diverted off road in order to cross Mentone View Rd well back from the intersection. May seem sensible at first, but it forces cyclists to cross a road which is designed for high entry speeds into the roundabout.
Mentone View itself shouldn't be fast: it appears to be a 50 limit (the main road, Tharwa Drive, is 80). It's very hard to gauge from Google Street View how hard it would be to get across Menton View. Certainly I would prefer it to tackling a 2-lane roundabout on an 80 road, but who knows what it's like when one cycles it.
redsonic wrote: At least if a cyclist stayed on the road and took the left lane, traffic from the left (she was going South) would have the onus to give way.
And there's the tragedy: the motor vehicle had to give way, and didn't. I hope charges are laid and the punishment is substantial.

Scott_C

2018 Cycling fatalities

Postby Scott_C » Thu May 10, 2018 6:37 pm

A cyclist has died after a collision involving a car in Nelson Shoal Bay, NSW around 3pm this afternoon.
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 6c66798ee7

Further information is available here:
https://www.portstephensexaminer.com.au ... shoal-bay/

[Mod Says]Thanks for the report. I have moved your post to the 2018 thread.[/Mod]

Jmuzz

Re: 2018 Cycling fatalities

Postby Jmuzz » Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 pm

There was one last month in NSW, but was an intentional murder.
Apparently run over 3 times after an earlier altercation off the bike. All caught on two home security cameras.

The details don't seem to be in the media articles and I heard from a friend of one of the camera owners, so won't identify the location or full gossip since it is a murder trial going before court.

AdelaidePeter

Re: 2018 Cycling fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 am

Scott_C wrote:A cyclist has died after a collision involving a car in Nelson Shoal Bay, NSW around 3pm this afternoon.
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 6c66798ee7

Further information is available here:
https://www.portstephensexaminer.com.au ... shoal-bay/
I can find very little information on this, but the photo indicates it happened at a roundabout (Gowrie Ave and Shoal Bay Road).

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 pm

Oh no, yet another one in SA. A 66 year old cyclist on Horrocks Highway near Quorn.
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7b76f390ea

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:Oh no, yet another one in SA. A 66 year old cyclist on Horrocks Highway near Quorn.
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7b76f390ea
The most coverage on this I could find was the Channel 7 Adelaide news report, which can be found on their Facebook page. Here's a still from it. The news said they were going the same way but it's not clear from that picture what direction that was: the car is on the left of the road and the bike is on the right. Either way, visibility should not have been a problem. The crash was some time after 8 ("emergency services were called around 8.20") and at least in Adelaide, there was plenty of light that morning.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 am

Thus is the second off-road cyclist death in SA this year, sadly.
SA Police news release wrote: The State's road toll has risen to 33 following the death of a cyclist at Angaston in the Barossa Valley overnight.

Just before 7am on Thursday 31 May, Barossa police were called to a bike track on Jubilee Ave, after a member of the public discovered the body of a male cyclist in a dry creek bed.

Major Crash Investigators have attended and are examining the circumstances surrounding death of the 41-year-old man from Angaston.

The man's death is not considered suspicious and there appears to be no other vehicles involved in the incident.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

The road toll for same time last year was 30.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Police will prepare a report for the Coroner following the death of a cyclist after being struck by a vehicle near Canberra.

Emergency services were called to Tarago Road at Lake George, about 34km from Canberra, about 10am (Sunday 3 June 2018), after reports a cyclist was hit by a vehicle.

The cyclist, a woman believed to be aged in her 60s, died at the scene.

The male driver was not physically injured and is expected to be taken to a hospital for mandatory testing.

Officers from Monaro Police District have established a crime scene, which will be forensically examined.

Crash Investigation Unit Officers are en route to the scene and will commence an investigation into the crash.

Traffic diversions are in place and motorists are urged to monitor livetraffic.com

Anyone with information that may assist investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/ Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our social media pages.

^
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:39 am

A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 4zj84.html

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:52 pm

Scott_C wrote:A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.

I passed the scene soon after the collision took place. It was good to see half a dozen cars had stopped to render assistance and a lot of people were caring for him, a police car had blocked the left lane. The truck was also stopped not far after where the man lay on the road shoulder.

I don't want to lay blame here at all, just to say that Forrest Highway has a very wide shoulder for cycling on, it was very sad to see this tragedy has occurred.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 pm

Scott_C wrote:A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.

It is with sadness that I need to let club members know that this news has been received from Western Australia.

Audax Australia has been informed that a rider has died at approximately 11:30 am on Sunday near Binningup while participating in a club ride.

I have on behalf of the club offered the regional president, the ride organiser and the family any support it is possible for us to provide.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with the rider's family and friends at this sad time.

Audax Australia representatives will cooperate fully with the relevant authorities in Western Australia as this tragic event is investigated.

Garry Wall,

President

Audax Australia Cycling Club
and a more personal message from the WA Audax Club ...
Hello Fellow Audax members,

It is with great sadness, that I inform you that the cyclist who was killed on the Forrest Highway on Sunday 3rd of June was indeed a WA Audax member. Shiva was a recent Audax WA member but an experienced rider, from India. He was very excited to be completing his first 600km ride in Australia after having just completed his first 300km ride here. There are no details as to how this accident occurred and we will have to await a coroners report in two to three months.

I am unsure of any funeral details at this stage. Shiva's family are Hindu and at this stage keen to return Shiva to India for a funeral service, with family and friends.

I did have the pleasure of spending Saturday and fortunately Sunday with Shiva's wife Ajay and 7 year old son ‘Vee’, during the course of doing support for this ride. I spent several hours with Ajay at Bunbury Hospital after the news of the accident. I have passed on condolences on behalf of Audax and its members at this very traumatic time.

I am sure you will keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Photo from the ABC story (AT) http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-11/c ... ck/9857044

Strange how the truck went bush like that ???

Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Channel 7 report made the irrelevant comment that the cyclist had ear buds.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 pm

malnar wrote:Channel 7 report made the irrelevant comment that the cyclist had ear buds.
Implication being that the motorist is not therefore at fault. Golly all that distracted mobile phone use must attract the death penalty then.......

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Tequestra wrote:
Photo from the ABC story (AT) http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-11/c ... ck/9857044

Strange how the truck went bush like that ???

"The truck driver stopped at the scene and assisted police with inquiries". How could anybody look at the photos and put words like this to print. Absolutely shameful reporting.

I've ridden along there, it used to be a busy road but when the freeway got built adjacent to it, it has reduced the traffic quite a lot. Yeah it's a public holiday but at 10am the roads are not packed, and there is at least 1 metre sealed shoulder on that section.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Do you guys see a higher percentage of danger on straight roads for the cyclist? The last few killings i've noticed have been on straight roads. It doesn't seem to matter if the road has less traffic.....country roads are just as dangerous.

I much prefer to ride on winding mountainous roads (1 - 20 ) where self preservation kicks in for the driver and they have to be alert enough not to drive their cars off the cliff ( ie. they are probably staying off the mobiles). Was on 1 -20 4 weeks ago and the police was winching up a black sedan which had gone off the cliff :D

I've noticed cars on the 1-20 have been very aware of us cyclist and most of them have been very courteous by slowing down until it's safe to overtake.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 am

lone rider wrote: "The truck driver stopped at the scene and assisted police with inquiries". How could anybody look at the photos and put words like this to print.
Yes my thoughts exactly. The driver has clearly lost control of the truck at some point for it to end up where it did. I suspect the truck driver might have braked at the last minute and lost control, or something like that.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 am

There is an absolute bucket load of shoulder....good shoulder....there. No cyclist would be anywhere near the lanes, at least none I’ve seen around here last 20 years.

I actually thought the truck revered out and over him, and the reference to the ear buds was to cover the reverse beeping of the truck

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:40 am

NSW Police press release wrote: Police are investigating following the death of a cyclist during his morning ride today.

About 6am (Thursday 14 June 2018), a 50-year-old King Creek man was riding his push-bike on the Oxley Highway, about 2km east of the Pacific Highway.

A semi-trailer, being driven by a 42-year-old Port Macquarie man, was also travelling on the Oxley Highway, when the two collided.

Emergency services were called and the cyclist was taken to Port Macquarie Base Hospital where he later died.

The driver was also taken to hospital for mandatory tests.
The news article at https://www.portnews.com.au/story/54672 ... way-crash/ has the additional information that the cyclist and truck were travelling east, and it was near John Oxley Drive. There is also a photo, though I can't identify the location.

It's near a highway entry/exit, and I wonder if the cyclist got caught in one of those situations where there is the main highway on his right, and merging or exiting traffic on his left.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 am

Machoman121 wrote:Do you guys see a higher percentage of danger on straight roads for the cyclist?
Yep, opportune time for drivers to check their phones.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:09 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:
NSW Police press release wrote: Police are investigating following the death of a cyclist during his morning ride today.

About 6am (Thursday 14 June 2018), a 50-year-old King Creek man was riding his push-bike on the Oxley Highway, about 2km east of the Pacific Highway.

A semi-trailer, being driven by a 42-year-old Port Macquarie man, was also travelling on the Oxley Highway, when the two collided.

Emergency services were called and the cyclist was taken to Port Macquarie Base Hospital where he later died.

The driver was also taken to hospital for mandatory tests.
The news article at https://www.portnews.com.au/story/54672 ... way-crash/ has the additional information that the cyclist and truck were travelling east, and it was near John Oxley Drive. There is also a photo, though I can't identify the location.

It's near a highway entry/exit, and I wonder if the cyclist got caught in one of those situations where there is the main highway on his right, and merging or exiting traffic on his left.
One of the guys in my club posted up something yesterday, as the rider was the husband of a friend of his sister in law (or something like that). It didn’t say anything in the article online, but he mentioned that there was heavy fog at 6am, and this may have been a factor.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:47 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:The news article at https://www.portnews.com.au/story/54672 ... way-crash/ has the additional information that the cyclist and truck were travelling east, and it was near John Oxley Drive. There is also a photo, though I can't identify the location.

It looks like it is around about here - power lines in the background support it.

Whilst it is near John Oxley Drive, there is no exit there & the entrance from John Oxley Dr is not till a bit later. It is a wide, fairly straight road with a good sized shoulder.

Trying to figure out why in the absence of any real information will be an exercise in speculation.

Rest in peace

Thoglette

73-year-old male on Mount Darragh Road in Lochiel on Saturday, June 23.

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Cross reference from Moron Motorists #3. No name yet.

silentC wrote:Sadly this rider has since passed away. I understand there is an ongoing police investigation into the circumstances.
silentC wrote:It was reported in the local media as 'cyclist crashes his bicycle and is airlifted to hospital'. No mention of the motorist.

https://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com.au/ ... y/?cs=5773
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ