2018 Cycling Fatalities

fat and old

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am

Damn...I just read the news, and didn't see anything. Then checked here after posting in general. Mods feel free to delete that topic...I don't normally like looking here and missed it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 am

TheWall wrote:I never met Cameron (like many of us) but I felt he spoke for all of us, all of the time.

I don’t know if I have ever felt the death of a stranger this deeply. There is a Gofundme page for his family which I will support and let’s hope that something good can come of this.

I ride this road semi regularly and it has deep shoulders for bikes so puzzled about the how here (it does appear it happened when a road enters from the left and merges).

Gutted...
BQ president is working with the family. I'm not giving anything till they confirm its the one they want to support. There's also a ride this weekend. It's not endorsed by the family either...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:11 pm

fat and old wrote:Damn...I just read the news, and didn't see anything. Then checked here after posting in general. Mods feel free to delete that topic...I don't normally like looking here and missed it.
No worries mate, I flicked it over to Tragic News: Cycling advocate and forum member killed

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:42 pm

A female cyclist lost their life today in South Yarra due to a collision with a truck.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo ... daa1b08e41

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Scott_C wrote:A female cyclist lost their life today in South Yarra due to a collision with a truck.
Not wanting to jump to conclusions I do note from the image it is one of those truck and dog trailer types. Not sure when and where but I know another cyclist lost their life recently in an accident with a similar vehicle.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm

cogs19 wrote:
Scott_C wrote:A female cyclist lost their life today in South Yarra due to a collision with a truck.
Not wanting to jump to conclusions I do note from the image it is one of those truck and dog trailer types. Not sure when and where but I know another cyclist lost their life recently in an accident with a similar vehicle.
The one in Qld last year I think it was in woollongabba/Annerley was from a truck and dog

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:04 pm

jasonc wrote:
cogs19 wrote:
The one in Qld last year I think it was in woollongabba/Annerley was from a truck and dog
Actually this one (although the one you're thinking of was a dog trailer truck but from what I understand that cyclist was struck from behind)...

Article is behind paywall...
Speed camera commissioner John Voyage saw cyclist Yuka Kamada die and now wants action over it
KEITH MOOR, Herald Sun
October 16, 2018 10:04am
Subscriber only
WATCHING in horror as a truck ran over and killed a cyclist right in front of him has hit speed camera commissioner John Voyage hard.

“I heard a woman shout a word, I think it was ‘no’, followed by a shriek,” he told the Herald Sun.

“I do not know if it was the deceased, but the voice stopped abruptly.

“The cyclist and her bike were shattered on the road surface. It was immediate apparent the cyclist had sustained catastrophic injuries.”

Mr Voyage was so affected by the woman’s death that he decided to follow up on it.

His research has discovered a loophole in the way fatalities involving trucks are reported.

Mr Voyage has alerted VicRoads and Victoria Police in the hope the deadly loophole can be fixed.

He is hoping both agencies will examine the way truck accidents are recorded in the official statistics road safety bodies use to determine if new measures need to be introduced to save lives.

The cyclist Mr Voyage saw die was Japanese student nurse Yuka Kamada, 31.

Student nurse Yuka Kamada was hit and killed when she was run over by a trailer being towed by a truck in Brighton near the intersection of St Kilda St and North Road.

She was hit by the trailer of a truck as it turned left into St Kilda St, Brighton, from North Rd on July 3 last year as she was attempting to ride straight ahead.

The trailer was connected to the truck by a long drawbar, which meant there was a gap between the back of the truck and the front of the trailer — such gaps are usually about five metres.

This type of vehicle is known as a rigid truck with a dog or pig trailer and there are thousands of them on Australian roads.

Mr Voyage believes it is likely Ms Kamada thought the truck had passed her and that it was safe to cycle ahead, not realising the trailer was still to come.

This is was what was left of Yuka Kamada’s bike after she was hit and killed by a trailer being towed behind a truck in Brighton. Picture: Nicole Garmston
He has identified a similar accident involving a pedestrian who was killed after stepping out into the long gap between the back of a truck and the front of the trailer in December last year.

The Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE) is responsible for recording fatal crash data.

Mr Voyage discovered that in relation to trucks it only records whether the truck was rigid or articulated.

Further investigation revealed that is because the form Victoria Police fills in to record road fatalities only has two boxes to tick for trucks, rigid or articulated.

That means nobody knows how many have died in accidents involving the sort of truck and trailer that ran over Ms Kamada and the pedestrian because nobody records that information.

“It is important for such detail to be recorded as authorities need to know if there is a problem with a particular sort of vehicle if they are ever going to address that problem and suggest solutions to it,” Mr Voyage said.

Victoria Police determined the driver of the truck that hit and killed Ms Kamada was not at fault so no charges were laid over the fatality.

keith.moor@news.com.au

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I don't want to get gruesome, but if you have a look at the video, there is a sheet hanging between the rear wheels of the truck itself and there is usually only one reason they do that. Can't see how the dog trailer was involved. But those things are a worry, I have been close passed by a number of them and the trailer always scares the crap out of me because you're not expecting it.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm

On ABC Cyclist killed by truck at busy crossing in Melbourne's inner south
ABC wrote:Police said the woman was struck at the intersection of Punt and Toorak roads, in the inner-city suburb of South Yarra, about 2:15pm.
Photo agrees with SilentC's comment. Bicycle wheel visible just in front of the right hand side of the dog trailer.
Last edited by Thoglette on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:44 pm

cogs19 wrote:
Someone claiming to be a witness, posted on farcebook that she was on the path with pedestrians, & the truck cut the corner dragging with it. "Iwas there, she was dragged when the truck misjudged the corner".

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:09 am

Not sure about that one. If the truck cut the corner the dog would have followed. Photo indicates the dog cleared the corner by a fair margin. Easy enough for crash investigators to work out though given the truck seemed to pull up pretty quickly. I have noticed lately when driving our trucks (16t single axles) around the inner city and CBD that peds will be spilling onto the road at crossings. With road widths being reduced constantly for islands and superstops it's a concern that I don't think is looked at. Some traffic engineer applies standard turning radii to a design that really only apply in a perfect world and it's a recipe for disaster. I think that I'm with Thoglette's oft repeated criticism of allowing these things in the inner city areas. It's pretty ridiculous in Melbourne right now and won't change for at least 10 years given the amount of infra being built.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:27 am

fat and old wrote:Not sure about that one. If the truck cut the corner the dog would have followed. Photo indicates the dog cleared the corner by a fair margin.
Yep, looks ta bit that way. Witnesses will often decide who is at fault and then see/hear what makes their particular reality complete.

With tramlines and shared tram/car space it is another messy complicated intersection. Like all these things we should wait until the authorities have had their chance to investigate and report. Indeed at this stage I do not even know if the rider was on the path or on the road. And, with my low regard for the media, there is even the small possibility that the photo shown is a stock photo not identified as such.

In the meantime all we can do is sympathize with those close to the victim (as I do) and the driver (as I do) and do our best as drivers and as cyclists to not be part of a tragedy ourselves.

Edit: And of course any sympathies list needs to include first responders, ambos etc.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Not that it implies any fault in the case of this incident but, it does relate to the safety of truck and dog trailers:

NSW Police
At 6am on the 20th of November 2018 Traffic Task Force officers and seventeen RMS Inspectors commenced inspecting Truck and Dog combinations intercepted from the area surrounding the M5 Motorway, Canterbury Road, King Georges Road and Fairford Road.

A total of 61 units (31 combinations) were inspected. Of the 31 combinations inspected by the RMS and Police, 31 Breath & Drug Tests were conducted all returning negative results.

18 Engine Control Modules were downloaded, with 3 non-compliant ECM's detected. One truck's speed limit was set at 105.87km/h which was yellow label defected and directed to a CAT accredited mechanic. Two other Vehicle Speed Sensor settings were set to 121.4km/h and 102.4km/h and issued with defect notices.

Two truck combinations were weighed and found to be over weight, with Breach Notices completed by RMS Inspectors for both. A total of 16 minor defect notices were issued by RMS Inspectors for safety issues such as faulty brakes/ brake lights (yellow label issued), defective tyres, dangerous protrusion, cracked windscreen, worn shock absorbers and broken airbag suspension. One driver was identified as having an expired licence. A total of 14 infringement notices were issued by Task Force Officers, the majority for Permitting the Use of a Vehicle Contravening Standards.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:09 pm

there is even the small possibility that the photo shown is a stock photo not identified as such.
The photo is a still from a video filmed from a helicopter which is available at the Herald Sun link. There are also photos of the scene from street level on Twitter. It's legitimate as far as we can tell.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:55 am

human909 wrote:Not that it implies any fault in the case of this incident but, it does relate to the safety of truck and dog trailers:

NSW Police
At 6am on the 20th of November 2018 Traffic Task Force officers and seventeen RMS Inspectors commenced inspecting Truck and Dog combinations intercepted from the area surrounding the M5 Motorway, Canterbury Road, King Georges Road and Fairford Road.

A total of 61 units (31 combinations) were inspected. Of the 31 combinations inspected by the RMS and Police, 31 Breath & Drug Tests were conducted all returning negative results.

18 Engine Control Modules were downloaded, with 3 non-compliant ECM's detected. One truck's speed limit was set at 105.87km/h which was yellow label defected and directed to a CAT accredited mechanic. Two other Vehicle Speed Sensor settings were set to 121.4km/h and 102.4km/h and issued with defect notices.

Two truck combinations were weighed and found to be over weight, with Breach Notices completed by RMS Inspectors for both. A total of 16 minor defect notices were issued by RMS Inspectors for safety issues such as faulty brakes/ brake lights (yellow label issued), defective tyres, dangerous protrusion, cracked windscreen, worn shock absorbers and broken airbag suspension. One driver was identified as having an expired licence. A total of 14 infringement notices were issued by Task Force Officers, the majority for Permitting the Use of a Vehicle Contravening Standards.
Meh, I'd bet that the same or greater percentage of ALL motor vehicles pulled over for a roadworthy would fail. I'm not excusing them mind, just some perspective. Here, a report on your precious PT buses

https://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/bus- ... r-services#
Nine buses were inspected and all issued with defect notices. Three buses were in such a poor state that they were not to be used after 5pm that day.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:58 am

silentC wrote:
there is even the small possibility that the photo shown is a stock photo not identified as such.
The photo is a still from a video filmed from a helicopter which is available at the Herald Sun link. There are also photos of the scene from street level on Twitter. It's legitimate as far as we can tell.
Plus there are photos from different angles at the Herald Sun and ABC links.

Terribly sad. Very often the victims in these crashes (trucks turning and killing a cyclist) are women. There was one in Melbourne (I think last year), and it has been observed in the UK: https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lo ... 41420.html

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:06 pm

fat and old wrote:
human909 wrote:Not that it implies any fault in the case of this incident but, it does relate to the safety of truck and dog trailers:

NSW Police

Meh, I'd bet that the same or greater percentage of ALL motor vehicles pulled over for a roadworthy would fail. I'm not excusing them mind, just some perspective. Here, a report on your precious PT buses

https://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/bus- ... r-services#
Nine buses were inspected and all issued with defect notices. Three buses were in such a poor state that they were not to be used after 5pm that day.

possibly not the best thread for this discussion other than it may say something about the attitude of the operator/drivers of some commercial vehicles....... snapshot of data from the roadside testing quoted for NSW Truck Combinations but 3 out of 18 ECM's checked didn't meet regulations that is 1 in 6 or 1 in 10 if you look at the total stopped but not subject ECM exam for whatever reason - not sure how this regulation works but looks to me to the equivalent of remapping to evade speed and acceleration controls (?) - not quite the same as a defective brake light....points more to deliberately breaking the law rather than lazily ignoring it

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

antigee wrote:
possibly not the best thread for this discussion other than it may say something about the attitude of the operator/drivers of some commercial vehicles....... snapshot of data from the roadside testing quoted for NSW Truck Combinations but 3 out of 18 ECM's checked didn't meet regulations that is 1 in 6 or 1 in 10 if you look at the total stopped but not subject ECM exam for whatever reason - not sure how this regulation works but looks to me to the equivalent of remapping to evade speed and acceleration controls (?) - not quite the same as a defective brake light....points more to deliberately breaking the law rather than lazily ignoring it
Yes, best left to another thread. Maybe you can start one as your numbers are interesting.

Besides, if I rated the bikes I share space with then waaaay more than three out of eighteen would fail regulations. For a start almost no bike has a bell fitted these days.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:32 am

Man arrested after car hit and killed cyclist near Bendigo.
From Herald Sun.
A man is in custody after his car hit and killed a cyclist in north central Victoria on Tuesday evening.

Police believe a blue Commodore stationwagon was travelling east on Fogartys Gap Rd when it collided with a cyclist near the Calder Highway in Ravenswood, near Bendigo, about 6.25pm.

The yet-to-be-identified male cyclist died at the scene.
RIP.

Condolences to family and friends of the loved ones who won't be home for Xmas.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:57 am

Bunged Knee wrote:Man arrested after car hit and killed cyclist near Bendigo.
From Herald Sun.
A man is in custody after his car hit and killed a cyclist in north central Victoria on Tuesday evening.

Police believe a blue Commodore stationwagon was travelling east on Fogartys Gap Rd when it collided with a cyclist near the Calder Highway in Ravenswood, near Bendigo, about 6.25pm.

The yet-to-be-identified male cyclist died at the scene.
RIP.

Condolences to family and friends of the loved ones who won't be home for Xmas.

Yes another one. :(

https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/st ... h/#slide=2
Dogs are the best people :wink:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm

The first report I saw on tv said "A cyclist was killed riding on notoriously dangerous piece of road".

How is that for a forgone conclusion, It is already the cyclist fault in that one sentence.

He didn't say "what a pity motorists drive so fast and carelessly along that road and do no take into consideration that a cyclist may use that road."
I am so sorry for that cyclists family.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am

outnabike wrote:The first report I saw on tv said "A cyclist was killed riding on notoriously dangerous piece of road".

How is that for a forgone conclusion, It is already the cyclist fault in that one sentence.

He didn't say "what a pity motorists drive so fast and carelessly along that road and do no take into consideration that a cyclist may use that road."
I am so sorry for that cyclists family.
The intersection of Fogarty's Gap rd and the Calder Hwy has been the scene some collisions. The speed limit on the Calder at this intersection has been reduced to 80km/h as a result.
Fogarty's Gap rd where the cyclist was killed is just a nondescript rural road without a sealed shoulder. 100kmh limit.
There is a short sharp hill near the intersection, other than that it is lightly trafficked with good visbility.
I note the 65 y o driver was taken into custody and later released. This is not routine I believe?

I agree with the language serving to mitigate blame from the driver.
My opinion, until proven otherwise, is the blame rests squarely with the driver. The car he was driving was the instrument of death. He was responsible for the safe operation of that vehicle at the time.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:05 pm

uart wrote:
Scintilla wrote:
silentC wrote:Police appeal for witnesses after cyclist dies following incident at Lochiel

https://aboutregional.com.au/police-app ... t-lochiel/
Initial inquiries suggest a 37-year-old man stopped his Nissan utility to speak with the cyclist prior to the crash.
WHAT.... is this all about?? Very suspicious implications.
There was a bit more info in the MM thread before the rider passed away. Apparently silentC was on the ride that day.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 0#p1453780
silentC wrote:We had a rider down on Saturday. Not much is known except that he was trailing the bunch by some distance as they rode past a car that was pulled over to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Then a few minutes later the bunch was pulled over by another car letting them know a rider had come off. When they went back he was unconscious. Ambulance was called. The driver of the car that was pulled over has passed the bunch some distance back and has apparently stopped to have a discussion with the group about the dangers of cycling. Other than that we don't know what transpired but the rider ended up with a brain injury, several broken ribs and fractured pelvis.

--- Sadly this rider has since passed away. I understand there is an ongoing police investigation into the circumstances.
Serious charges laid:
https://the-riotact.com/merimbula-cycli ... age/278417

Let's see what actually results.

Jim

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:54 pm

It's the third charge that I appreciate

uart

Postby uart » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:06 pm

jasonc wrote:It's the third charge that I appreciate
Yes better than it might have been perhaps. But still, maximum 2 years jail for a death like this is not ideal in my opinion. There really needs to be a specific charge of "death due to road rage" with some serious jail time attached!

A few years ago here in Newcastle, a young fella riding to Uni got mowed down by a truck while he was riding well off the main part of the road in the breakdown lane. It turned out that the truck driver was locked in a road rage duel with a car that hadn't let him merge where his left lane ended a 100 metres back. The truck continued along in the breakdown lane, side by side with the car he was "duelling" with. He saw the cyclist but didn't give a fLIck, he didn't brake and he didn't steer, he was so locked into his rage that he just mowed him down. The A-hole ended up serving about 10 or 11 months. There were a load of other aggravating circumstances for the driver too, but seriously that's all he served. This is just unbelievable, but sadly all too true.

Then a year or so ago in Vic, a moron motorist "brake checked" a slow driver that he had just passed. The slow driver braked ok to miss the jerk, but a following truck rear ended the car and it resulted in the death of a rear seat passenger. The "brake checking" driver got about 6 years jail and a massive 8 year disqualification.

So serious penalties can result from death due to road rage, but sadly it seems not (or at least very rarely) if the victim is a cyclist.

I fully support this guy's widow in her call for tougher penalties for cases like this one that took her husband. I'd like to see some of the cycling advocate bodies help this widow out with a campaign to have adequate sentencing for road rage deaths like this. Some kind of lobbying on this issue is really in order.