2018 Cycling Fatalities

gtext

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities

Postby gtext » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:30 pm

uart wrote:
jasonc wrote:It's the third charge that I appreciate
Yes better than it might have been perhaps. But still, maximum 2 years jail for a death like this is not ideal in my opinion. There really needs to be a specific charge of "death due to road rage" with some serious jail time attached!

A few years ago here in Newcastle, a young fella riding to Uni got mowed down by a truck while he was riding well off the main part of the road in the breakdown lane. It turned out that the truck driver was locked in a road rage duel with a car that hadn't let him merge where his left lane ended a 100 metres back. The truck continued along in the breakdown lane, side by side with the car he was "duelling" with. He saw the cyclist but didn't give a fLIck, he didn't brake and he didn't steer, he was so locked into his rage that he just mowed him down. The A-hole ended up serving about 10 or 11 months. There were a load of other aggravating circumstances for the driver too, but seriously that's all he served. This is just unbelievable, but sadly all too true.

Then a year or so ago in Vic, a moron motorist "brake checked" a slow driver that he had just passed. The slow driver braked ok to miss the jerk, but a following truck rear ended the car and it resulted in the death of a rear seat passenger. The "brake checking" driver got about 6 years jail and a massive 8 year disqualification.

So serious penalties can result from death due to road rage, but sadly it seems not (or at least very rarely) if the victim is a cyclist.

I fully support this guy's widow in her call for tougher penalties for cases like this one that took her husband. I'd like to see some of the cycling advocate bodies help this widow out with a campaign to have adequate sentencing for road rage deaths like this. Some kind of lobbying on this issue is really in order.
The truck driver if traveling too close (Tailgating) should have received the same sentence in my opinion as they directly caused the death.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am

Yes better than it might have been perhaps. But still, maximum 2 years jail for a death like this is not ideal in my opinion. There really needs to be a specific charge of "death due to road rage" with some serious jail time attached!
The problem with this one is that no-one saw it happen. Seems unlikely they will send him to jail but let's see what happens.

I know all of the people in the second photo from the 'RiotACT' link and ride with them weekly. They are a close-knit group and this affected them all. Louise hasn't ridden since the incident as far as I know.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:16 pm

"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:27 pm

After many fatality free months (for cyclists in SA), sadly there was a death in SA today. My understanding is that no cars were involved, but he crashed into a concrete barrier at speed on a winding downhill road (Mount Barker Road). https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-30/ ... s/10674186

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:36 pm

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/c ... -collision: "A cyclist has died in hospital following a collision with a car in Warrnambool on Christmas eve (24 December). Investigators have been told a silver Toyota sedan was travelling south on Morris Road when it collided with the cyclist at the intersection of Hoddle Street about 8.45pm. The 43-year-old Warrnambool man was airlifted to hospital however died in hospital this morning." (December 31)

Earlier story: https://www.standard.net.au/story/58286 ... -hospital/ "Police have identified a cyclist who spent Christmas alone in hospital after he was struck by a car in Warrnambool. The 43-year-old Warrnambool man was airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after his BMX bike collided with a silver Toyota sedan travelling south on Warrnambool's Morris Road about 8.45pm Christmas Eve. He was not wearing a helmet. Police were unable to establish the identity of the man for about four days."

I've had a look on Google Maps/Earth, and visibility looks very good at that intersection, so who knows what happened. Very sad, RIP.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:12 pm

Hopefully the last one for the year.

Cyclist dies after crashing into barrier in Adelaide Hills
ABC news 30th Dec wrote: A cyclist has died after hitting a barrier at Crafers West in the Adelaide Hills this morning.

Police say the 46-year-old Woodcroft man died at the scene at about 9:45am on a downhill stretch of Mount Barker Road near Eagle on the Hill.
No other vehicles were involved in the crash.
Last edited by Thoglette on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:42 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/c ... -collision: "A cyclist has died in hospital following a collision with a car in Warrnambool on Christmas eve (24 December). Investigators have been told a silver Toyota sedan was travelling south on Morris Road when it collided with the cyclist at the intersection of Hoddle Street about 8.45pm. The 43-year-old Warrnambool man was airlifted to hospital however died in hospital this morning." (December 31)

Earlier story: https://www.standard.net.au/story/58286 ... -hospital/ "Police have identified a cyclist who spent Christmas alone in hospital after he was struck by a car in Warrnambool. The 43-year-old Warrnambool man was airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after his BMX bike collided with a silver Toyota sedan travelling south on Warrnambool's Morris Road about 8.45pm Christmas Eve. He was not wearing a helmet. Police were unable to establish the identity of the man for about four days."

I've had a look on Google Maps/Earth, and visibility looks very good at that intersection, so who knows what happened. Very sad, RIP.
8:45 - so twilight, on a bmx. I'm going to wager no lights

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:50 am

The truck driver who hit and killed Australian Madison Lyden, in New York last August, received a $1000 fine and had his license suspended for a year.

The Uber driver who pulled in front of her (who IMHO was the real offender) was not charged. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-17/ ... d/10721716

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 pm

- Me

uart

Postby uart » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:13 pm

silentC wrote:Slap on the wrist as expected:

https://aboutregional.com.au/lochiel-ma ... MRRn2CdrvE
Shockingly inadequate sentence! :cry:

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:23 pm

There was a comment under one of the online stories about the incident that purported to be from a 'witness'. Take it with a grain of salt, but he claimed he was travelling west, whilst David (the cyclist) was travelling east. He claims that both he and Mr Cumming (the driver involved) were travelling towards one another at 100kph when Mr Cumming encountered David. The 'witness' claimed that Mr Cumming was not able to slow down and so in order to avoid a head-on collision, he passed the cyclist very closely, with not much room to spare on either side. The 'witness' therefore claimed the near head-on was all David's fault because it was unreasonable to expect a fast-moving vehicle to be able to slow to the cyclist's speed and thereby avoid a collision or close pass. Apparently this then justified him stopping and confronting David on the road.

Unfortunately no-one saw what actually took place at the moment of contact, only the moments before and after. So whether David was deliberately pushed, or it was an accidental collision, we will never know.
- Me

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:24 pm

uart wrote:

Shockingly inadequate sentence! :cry:
The killer had a history of negligent driving and speeding as well. Judicial discretion over sentencing needs to be removed.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm

silentC wrote:Unfortunately no-one saw what actually took place at the moment of contact, only the moments before and after. So whether David was deliberately pushed, or it was an accidental collision, we will never know.
Hi SilentC, do you know if the driver sustained any injuries in the "collision". My understanding is that there were no reported injuries to him on the day.

If this is the case then it is overwhelmingly unlikely that there was ever a collision. The most likely thing would be that the driver punched, pushed or otherwise knocked the cyclist off his bike. I don't know why this aspect was never pursued by the prosecution.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:49 pm

I was told he did have some minor injuries. Not sure if that was mentioned in court, so just hearsay from my point of view. It's a downhill run, so he would have been travelling at a fair clip. Even if he pushed him he might end up with injuries, I don't know. Unfortunately just speculation.
- Me

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Unprovoked attack on victim causes victim to fall and have a fatal injury. It doesn't seem very different to a "coward's punch" death, to me.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Exactly what I thought...
- Me

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:Unprovoked attack on victim causes victim to fall and have a fatal injury. It doesn't seem very different to a "coward's punch" death, to me.
a very sad story and reading his wife's comments was gut wrenching

left wondering if the prosecution service and police could have come up with some more effective charges if the press had treated story differently, how about....

"Angry 37year old man jumps out of ute and kills pensioner" ?

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm

antigee wrote:a very sad story and reading his wife's comments was gut wrenching
I felt exactly the same way reading that antigee.
left wondering if the prosecution service and police could have come up with some more effective charges if the press had treated story differently, how about....

"Angry 37year old man jumps out of ute and kills pensioner" ?
TBH, if the victim was anyone other than an adult male cyclist then I'm sure that the legal outcome would have been very different. Sadly it seems that adult male cyclists are perceived as the absolute the lowest of the low in terms of victim status, basically that they deserve anything that they get. I seriously believe that the courts are just reflecting the prevailing public attitude in this regard. :(

I am not joking about this, there is just no other way that some of the sentences of motorist who have killed cyclists can be viewed.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:57 am

Channels Nine's "A Current Affair" program did a story on David Brand's death last night (Wed 13 Mar). His killer, Nathan Cumming, was interviewed briefly.

If anyone is interested, it is currently available on their Nine-Now catch up TV site. https://www.9now.com.au/

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:26 am

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it (I don't watch channel 9 as a rule). I know all the guys in that story except the fat one :) Surprisingly well put considering how cycling-related stories are usually portrayed by tabloid media. They had to drop in a couple of red light runners though, didn't they...
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 am

/deleted
Last edited by uart on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 am

^^
Wrong year and been mentioned in yesterday`s sticky 2019 thread at 11.50am.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:42 am

Bunged Knee wrote:Wrong year.
Whoops. I didn't see the sticky and just scrolled to the first fatalities thread I saw.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Scott_C wrote:A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 4zj84.html
It is with sadness that I need to let club members know that this news has been received from Western Australia.

Audax Australia has been informed that a rider has died at approximately 11:30 am on Sunday near Binningup while participating in a club ride.

I have on behalf of the club offered the regional president, the ride organiser and the family any support it is possible for us to provide.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with the rider's family and friends at this sad time.

Audax Australia representatives will cooperate fully with the relevant authorities in Western Australia as this tragic event is investigated.

Garry Wall,

President

Audax Australia Cycling Club
and a more personal message from the WA Audax Club ...
Hello Fellow Audax members,

It is with great sadness, that I inform you that the cyclist who was killed on the Forrest Highway on Sunday 3rd of June was indeed a WA Audax member. Shiva was a recent Audax WA member but an experienced rider, from India. He was very excited to be completing his first 600km ride in Australia after having just completed his first 300km ride here. There are no details as to how this accident occurred and we will have to await a coroners report in two to three months.

I am unsure of any funeral details at this stage. Shiva's family are Hindu and at this stage keen to return Shiva to India for a funeral service, with family and friends.

I did have the pleasure of spending Saturday and fortunately Sunday with Shiva's wife Ajay and 7 year old son ‘Vee’, during the course of doing support for this ride. I spent several hours with Ajay at Bunbury Hospital after the news of the accident. I have passed on condolences on behalf of Audax and its members at this very traumatic time.

I am sure you will keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards
Despite hitting the cyclist in the emergency lane from behind at 100kph the truck driver in this incident received the traditional slap on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf (suspended sentence and 2 year disqualification from driving):
https://thewest.com.au/news/court-justi ... 881226254z

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Scott_C wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Scott_C wrote:A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 4zj84.html
It is with sadness that I need to let club members know that this news has been received from Western Australia.

Audax Australia has been informed that a rider has died at approximately 11:30 am on Sunday near Binningup while participating in a club ride.

I have on behalf of the club offered the regional president, the ride organiser and the family any support it is possible for us to provide.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with the rider's family and friends at this sad time.

Audax Australia representatives will cooperate fully with the relevant authorities in Western Australia as this tragic event is investigated.

Garry Wall,

President

Audax Australia Cycling Club
and a more personal message from the WA Audax Club ...
Hello Fellow Audax members,

It is with great sadness, that I inform you that the cyclist who was killed on the Forrest Highway on Sunday 3rd of June was indeed a WA Audax member. Shiva was a recent Audax WA member but an experienced rider, from India. He was very excited to be completing his first 600km ride in Australia after having just completed his first 300km ride here. There are no details as to how this accident occurred and we will have to await a coroners report in two to three months.

I am unsure of any funeral details at this stage. Shiva's family are Hindu and at this stage keen to return Shiva to India for a funeral service, with family and friends.

I did have the pleasure of spending Saturday and fortunately Sunday with Shiva's wife Ajay and 7 year old son ‘Vee’, during the course of doing support for this ride. I spent several hours with Ajay at Bunbury Hospital after the news of the accident. I have passed on condolences on behalf of Audax and its members at this very traumatic time.

I am sure you will keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards
Despite hitting the cyclist in the emergency lane from behind at 100kph the truck driver in this incident received the traditional slap on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf (suspended sentence and 2 year disqualification from driving):
https://thewest.com.au/news/court-justi ... 881226254z
SMIDSY = wet lettuce leaf thrashing
Go!Run!GAH!