New Sydney infrastructure priorities

g-boaf

New Sydney infrastructure priorities

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Couldn't see this posted elsewhere, so here goes:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/inf ... 4z69e.html

Talk of a 284km cycling super-network, but nothing will occur from this I suppose. It would make a huge difference to getting at least some traffic off the roads.But it would need to be a proper cycleway network, not just pedestrian footpaths with lines painted on them.

find_bruce

Re: New Sydney infrastructure priorities

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:30 pm

Like you sau, the proposal doesn't seem to be any more than a bunch of squiggly lines. As best I can figure they simply follow existing main roads.

It seems to be a radical thought that people might work outside the Sydney CBD, thus simply perpetuating the lack of transport alternatives elsewhere
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:10 pm

The Infrastructure Australia document can be found here (I had already grabbed it for work related reasons):
http://infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/p ... -Plan.aspx

The full document is 20Mb, only 1 page of which relates to active transport for Sydney which I have quoted below.
Active transport (walking and cycling) access to Sydney CBD
LOCATION Inner Sydney, NSW
TIMESCALE Near term (0–5 years)
PROPONENT City of Sydney

Problem
The cost of congestion in Sydney is estimated to increase from around $6 billion in 2011 to $15 billion in 2031. With a growing population and an increasingly centralised workforce, Inner Sydney is forecast to have the highest number of trips for any region in NSW.
Five of Sydney’s most congested urban roads are located within a 10 km radius of Sydney’s CBD. The public transport network in Inner Sydney is also projected to reach or exceed current capacity by 2031.
There are more than 1 million daily short distance trips (that is, less than 5 km) undertaken by private motor vehicles and taxis within 10 km of the CBD. Safety concerns, along with disparate travel routes, are current barriers to other forms of short distance or active transport.
A 2% to 5% shift of short distance car trips within 10 km of the CBD to active transport may result in a reduction of between 20,000 and 50,000 motor vehicle trips per day on Inner Sydney’s congested corridors.
Proposed initiative
Upgrade a network of 284 km of dedicated cycling and shared cycling/walking paths, on existing radial and cross regional corridors within a 10 km radius of the CBD.
In the longer term, there may be sufficient intra-regional trip volumes to support an extension of the network west to Parramatta.
Next steps
Business case development.
Notably, this is an initiative of the City of Sydney, not the State Government, so it probably has more hope of actually being supported but is necessarily Sydney-centric. Unfortunately they haven't yet produced a business case for the work so it is relatively undeveloped (studies generally show ridiculously good ROI for cycling projects compared to other transport projects so making a good business case should be fairly easy).

It is pretty ridiculous that Infrastructure Australia feels the need to explain what Active Transportation is in the project title, which just goes to show how little thought is usually given to active transportation in government infrastructure planning.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Sounds like a great idea, but the NSW Government are not answering their phones.

It is bleedingly obvious what needs to be done, what will benefit society now and in the future but the NSW transport ministers, premier far too many councils don't want to know.

Kudos to Sydney City Council who are really trying hard to make a change.
Cycling is in my BNA

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:59 am

The most congested roads might be close to the CBD, but that doesn't say people are travelling short distances within that area.

How many people are on those roads because they lead to bridges? Or to railway crossings? Or funnel you to the place you are going, because all roads lead to Rome even though you actually want to go to Naples?

Better bicycle infra within the City of Sydney isn't going to get people out of cars, it will get them off public transport. If you live within cycling distance of the city your PT trip is going to be awful anyway given the train and bus crowding so a bike is a good alternative.

Especially joined up bike infra. That doesn't vanish with no warning or reason and make you merge into traffic, and that isn't used as car parking. The trike trip to Leichhardt yesterday would have been a lot nastier had I not been e-assisted, and would have been only fractionally less nasty on two wheels rather than three.

Somehow I think Sydney will only have decent bike infra when there is no longer the expectation of free roadside parking. While you have to reserve all that space because cars might want to sit there, there is no room for bikes.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:54 pm

'The United Nations has recommended that governments dedicate 20% of transport funding to non-motorised or active transport. "

https://www.governmentnews.com.au/2018/ ... australia/

Tequestra

Sydney Cyclists support proposed 300km Bike Network

Postby Tequestra » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-04/c ... rk/9613266

I hope that this is the right subforum to post an ABC News story on cycling in Sydney. Please move if there is a better subforum, thank you.

Photo: In 2016, 41 per cent of trips to work or school in Copenhagen were made by bicycle. (Supplied: Martti Tulenhelmo)
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

find_bruce

Re: Sydney Cyclists support proposed 300km Bike Network

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am

Tequestra wrote:I hope that this is the right subforum to post an ABC News story on cycling in Sydney. Please move if there is a better subforum, thank you.
Admin note: Nothing wrong with your choice of sub-forum, but as the ABC article is a follow up article to the earlier one outlining the proposal, I have merged it into this thread. Quoting you should mean that you get a notification so you know where it has gone.

Cheers Bruce
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Tequestra

Re: Sydney Cyclists support proposed 300km Bike Network

Postby Tequestra » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:46 am

find_bruce wrote:so you know where it has gone.
Nothing is smelly in the state of Denmark ^^^ ...
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!