Centennial Park in Sydney tell bike riders to Share the Park

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Centennial Park in Sydney tell bike riders to Share the Park

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Appears that the Centennial parklands needs to "To remind users of the rules and regulations of the Park."

Comes across as passive aggressive and I can't help thinking that the strategy and event may not be reaching the actual people and riders they really want to educate. Could be a good day out though - especially with Penny Farthing racing.

Centennial Parklands is Sydney's playground for adults and children alike with over 31 million visits each year. Generations of Australians and international visitors choose to play, relax and be entertained in the Parklands.

Launched this week, the Parklands’ annual Share the Park campaign raises awareness and educates the many diverse visitors about the right and responsible ways to enjoy the space. Through free workshops, tune-ups and entertainment activations, the Parklands hopes to encourage its visitors to refresh their understanding of the rules and regulations around the Park and especially when cycling to ensure the safety for all visitors.

"Centennial Parklands is one of the most diverse public parklands in Australia and while visitors love this space, we all play a role to ensure it remains an accessible and enjoyable place to visit," says Anthony Dunsford, Director of Visitor Experience, Centennial Parklands.

"There are more than 750,000 visits from cyclists made to Centennial Park and it’s considered a sanctuary amongst the heavily-populated eastern suburbs and Sydney CBD. These aren’t just professional users but families, tourists and little kids learning to ride their bikes as well.”

“Share the Park is not so much about rules and regulations but also watching out for each other and remembering it is a shared space. We hope to see the community come together for our free workshops and bike tune-ups."

Local father and triathlete Dane Holt has been training at Centennial Park for 14 years as well as coaching running groups and spending time outdoors with family in the Park. "I see the Parklands as my training safe haven. I can do structured, uninterrupted workouts at any time of the day and feel totally at ease with the traffic flow. Having been previously been hit by a car whilst training elsewhere, this is so important to me,” said Mr Holt.

"It is also a special place for my family because it’s a great place to take my two young boys bike riding and then a much-needed coffee with my wife. Share the Park is a great way to remind the community to respect the place we all love and look out for each other.”

Some simple tips and things to remember when visiting the Parklands include:
Stick to the 30 km speed limit in Centennial Park -- in the car and on the bike
Stay in your designated car or cycle lane on Grand Drive.
Drivers, always look in the blind spot before turning across the cycle lane to exit the Park.
Dog walkers -- get to know where the on and off leash areas are in Centennial Park and ensuring your dog is under effective control.
Keep dogs off the horse track, as they can often spook the horses.
Walkers and joggers please be careful when crossing roads, particularly if you are wearing headphones when training.

Community members and visitors are encouraging to take part in a variety of free activities and competitions to support Share the Park:
Quick fix bike maintenance 17 April, 24 April & 1 May at Fearnley Grounds from 8.00 – 10.00 am
Cycling safety workshops at Fearnley Grounds 21 April & 28 April at 9.00 –11.30 am
Penny-farthing clown performance 19 April & 27 April at the Ian Potter Children’s WILD PLAY Garden from 10.30 –11.00 am.
Bike and blend: make your own pedal powered smoothie at Federation Valley 20 April & 26 April from 7.30 – 9.30 am
City of Sydney Share the Path at Federation Way 24 April at 4 pm to 5.30 pm and Cleveland Street 28 April from 7.30 – 9.00 am.
Cycling is in my BNA

Scintilla

Re: Centennial Park in Sydney tell bike riders to Share the Park

Postby Scintilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 am

The.
Drivers??

The ones who most often will be ignoring said 30 kmh speed limit :roll:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 am

I read it with and noticed it was telling just about everyone to share the park - drivers, cyclists, dog walkers, walkers, joggers.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 am

Yes. Certainly was.

But you do realise how 'Share the Road' has been misused and abused by the entrenched motoring public??

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:54 am

RonK wrote:I read it with and noticed it was telling just about everyone to share the park - drivers, cyclists, dog walkers, walkers, joggers.
Me too. By my count there are 3 warnings to drivers and 2 to cyclists (and 2 to dog owners).

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:57 am

I realise that Centennial Park may be a special case, but by far the better option on most roads is this:

As for Centennial Park, surely the riders ARE sharing the road..... when they have gone on, the drivers are free to use it :?: :?:

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm

RonK wrote:I read it with and noticed it was telling just about everyone to share the park - drivers, cyclists, dog walkers, walkers, joggers.
I noticed the numerous signs too just this past weekend. Whilst there are quite a few directed to cyclist, there are also many towards other park users, including motor vehicles amongst others. I'm ok with it. Otherwise the increasing number of roadies in the park (in particular weekend early mornings), it's getting a lot more congested than 2-3 years ago. On a 1-2 hours ride there, I am seeing and have been regularly involved in double overtakes with 4-6 bikes spread across both the cycle and motor vehicle lanes with obvious risks - Time trialist or fast bunch/Moderate speed roadie/Slow riders.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.