Ban on riding two abreast or riding on roads without cycling lanes

g-boaf

Ban on riding two abreast or riding on roads without cycling lanes

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 29, 2018 6:44 pm

From todays news

A ban on riding two abreast, along with a ban on riding on roads without cycling lanes. To take effect across Australia.

Agree?

AndrewCowley

Re: Ban on riding two abreast or riding on roads without cycling lanes

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm

No matter how rationally this case may be argued, I fear it is underpinned by hatred for all cyclists and if such a law was passed then it will simply further deligitmise cycling in the eyes of all who signed.

Also if the cyclists do the safe thing and take the lane, then regardless of whether they are one or two abreast then the lane is taken.

And also one long line of single file cyclists is potentially more obstructive and harder to pass.

Not sure then if these people have fully thought through the ramifications.
Last edited by AndrewCowley on Tue May 29, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Not sure then if these people have fully thougt through the ramifications.
Thinking is not a thing they do!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Having to slow down for a few seconds, oh dear we can't have that
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Originally a satire page, DFROC has switched to being a hate and fake news page. Reportedly it is run by an ex racing cyclist with psychiatric issues who is possibly of Russian heritage. He has apparently been banned from all SEQ riding groups for dangerous and disruptive behaviour and this is his revenge.

A number have labelled him a clinical psychopath. I'm not qualified to judge but it seems likely. Additionally, one of the admins is based in Thailand and is an ex Royal Ulster Constabulary serviceman. Why he would want to interfere in Australian domestic politics I do not fully understand.

Constantly posts manipulated PhotoShopped images of situations claimed to have occurred (but which are fictional) to rile up his fellow-travellers. Anyone who posts anything in defence of cyclists is ruthlessly blocked and their comments deleted. The page is the complete bike hate echo chamber.

Shame on News Corp for giving this hater oxygen.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm

Gee Newscorp giving haters oxygen, are we at all surprised?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 pm

That sorry excuse for a diagram quoted in the article is just laughable. It basically says "If cyclists ride two abreast, motorists will be forced to do unsafe overtakes and get dangerously close to oncoming traffic". What complete moron made this diagram?

My main fear is that a lot of people will believe it. The petition has over 80,000 signatures (if you believe News Corp, anyway), which worries me.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 pm

This is like registration for cyclists, or flat earth "science".

That is, massively debunked.

Unfortunately, as it says at the bottom of the article, some people like their News Limited.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue May 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Time for a counter petition. :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 30, 2018 12:32 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:That sorry excuse for a diagram quoted in the article is just laughable. It basically says "If cyclists ride two abreast, motorists will be forced to do unsafe overtakes and get dangerously close to oncoming traffic". What complete moron made this diagram?

My main fear is that a lot of people will believe it. The petition has over 80,000 signatures (if you believe News Corp, anyway), which worries me.
I believe that most of the signatures on the petition are fake, and is just Ivan up to the same tricks to make it look like he has support. He gets lots of attention from the mouth breathers, and because he blocks and deletes anyone who disagrees with his views, it is just an echo chamber.

It is quite sad to see his mental deterioration, but from discussions elsewhere, he has brought this on himself. He was banned from numerous cycling clubs for riding like an idiot and ignoring bunch etiquette. He’s now throwing a tantrum about it on facebook.

As for being an “ex-racing cyclist”, my understanding was that he was a B grade rider. Perhaps he is upset he didn’t get any further than that.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

JPB

Postby JPB » Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 am

Got a run on channel 7 sunrise. Mark Bereta (?) was on our side and the others got stuck into him.
So sad, I walked off in disgust

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed May 30, 2018 8:22 am

Support for cyclists from an unexpected source: :shock:
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... fe6db3923b

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 am

Bring backl Tony Abbott for PM!

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 am

JPB wrote:Got a run on channel 7 sunrise. Mark Bereta (?) was on our side and the others got stuck into him.
So sad, I walked off in disgust
Yeah, it was a bit ordinary. Lots of shouty shouty and then inviting comments on Faceache. Can only imagine that would go down well.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BJL

Postby BJL » Wed May 30, 2018 9:24 am

This would be a violation of human rights. It shows the lack of intelligence by the anti-cyclists and complete ignorance of the purpose of the road network and who exactly it belongs to. The road network belongs to everyone and is for everyone. It's primary purpose is for the movement of people. It isn't for any particular form of transport whatsoever. In the absence of a practical alternative, even pedestrians are fully entitled to use the roads. Because that's what the roads are for. Moving people.

What's going to happen when I get pulled over by a cop out in the country? I'd ask the question 'Don't I have the right to be in this area without a motor vehicle?'. And then take the matter to the human rights commission. Australia is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the world.

But if that's what they want, then I want the same treatment for motorists. The banning of ALL motor vehicles with a two (or more) abreast seating arrangement or wider than 1.2 metres, and the banning of motor vehicles using roads without a bicycle lane.

Then EVERYONE can bloody well walk everywhere.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed May 30, 2018 9:28 am

Mike Ayling wrote:Bring backl Tony Abbott for PM!

Mike
I hope not. As far as I can recall, he did nothing to support cyclists whilst PM, and his environmental credentials are pretty poor (anyone recall the phrase "coal is good"?).

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Wed May 30, 2018 11:10 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:

Mike
I hope not. As far as I can recall, he did nothing to support cyclists whilst PM, and his environmental credentials are pretty poor (anyone recall the phrase "coal is good"?).
Tony Abbott supported cyclists by being one - a highly visible and prominent one at that! Also, specific cyclists issues fall within the jurisdiction of states and territories, not the federal government.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 30, 2018 11:17 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Support for cyclists from an unexpected source: :shock:
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... fe6db3923b
If the guy starting all of this is really an ex-racing cyclist upset because of a ban or whatever, perhaps this background should be out there for the media as well.
BJL wrote:The road network belongs to everyone and is for everyone. It's primary purpose is for the movement of people. It isn't for any particular form of transport whatsoever. In the absence of a practical alternative, even pedestrians are fully entitled to use the roads. Because that's what the roads are for. Moving people.
This morning my ride to work, if I were in a car, it would have taken me nearly an hour, just for about 10km. At least on the bike I wasn't delayed too much.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed May 30, 2018 11:32 am

Philistine wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:

Mike
Tony Abbott supported cyclists by being one
That's arguable.
Philistine wrote:Also, specific cyclists issues fall within the jurisdiction of states and territories, not the federal government.
That wouldn't have prevent Mr Abbott from voicing support, but he chose not to.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Here in Hong Kong the road laws do not permit two abreast riding.

I know the environment is different here and a whole host of other reasons but frankly I think on balance its a good idea to ride single file. I mean we have to share the roads - and if it means we can continue riding whilst making car drivers that little bit more happier to share the roads with us, I think its a good idea.

Bugs

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 30, 2018 2:54 pm

80,000 is less than 1% of the motoring public

I'm sure we could get more than 1% of the cycling public to sign a petition but what would that achieve?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed May 30, 2018 3:20 pm

trailgumby wrote:. Anyone who posts anything in defence of cyclists is ruthlessly blocked and their comments deleted. The page is the complete bike hate echo chamber.
They banned me for pointing out that I burn 4 tons of petrol in my 2 ton of steel car yearly, so "the MAMIL on his 7kg of petrochemical product bike with 200g race tyres which only last 4000km" can hardly compete with my pollution.

It wasn't even pro bike, just obvious fact. But didn't like their point of MAMILS depleting the earth's natural resources with low milage 200g tyres being discredited.

BTW be careful accusing an admin, because they have some Irish guy of similar name identifying as the admin person so may be lawsuits for defamation if the local person accused without proof.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Wed May 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Honestly, since when has an online petition really been successful in its agenda.

“Cyclists gotta pay rego” … oh, that old chestnut

As I always say im more than happy to pay whatever token rego cost that would be imposed. However, if you’re a driver don’t come bitchin when im riding down the middle of now “our” single carriageway lane at 25kph in a 80kph zone holding up peak hour traffic all the way back to the suburbs … cause hey, by your definition im now entitled to be there.

I’ve mentioned this a number of times online on more mainstream media outlets and some of the vitriol comments in reply closely resemble intent to murder

I know two wrongs don’t make it right but as a cyclist why bother being nice and courteous anymore. Sure obey the road rules, same goes for cars. But being nice to drivers does nothing to change their mindset and never will

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Jawa wrote: I know two wrongs don’t make it right but as a cyclist why bother being nice and courteous anymore. Sure obey the road rules, same goes for cars. But being nice to drivers does nothing to change their mindset and never will
I very much disagree. Most drivers are good around cyclists. Why punish the majority because of the vocal minority? Besides, being antisocial can only make it worse.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Wed May 30, 2018 4:15 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Jawa wrote: I know two wrongs don’t make it right but as a cyclist why bother being nice and courteous anymore. Sure obey the road rules, same goes for cars. But being nice to drivers does nothing to change their mindset and never will
I very much disagree. Most drivers are good around cyclists. Why punish the majority because of the vocal minority? Besides, being antisocial can only make it worse.
It comes from a perspective of having been courteous, giving room, hug the edge of the lane as much as possible and still get treated like garbage by drivers.

I’ll take a punt and say you’re from Adelaide, and to be honest places like Adelaide, Canberra and even Perth can be considered fairly civilised for cyclist.
As a cyclist in Sydney it’s a nightmare, ive experienced it all