Attack on cyclist described as "prank"

biker jk

Attack on cyclist described as "prank"

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:34 pm

That's really funny Christine Flately.

Qld hose prank leaves cyclist injured

Christine Flatley

A cyclist has broken his collarbone and ribs after being knocked off his bike by a garden hose strung across a Sunshine Coast road.

The 56-year-old was riding on a suburban Mooloolaba street in low light about 5.40am on Sunday when felled by the hose, which was tied at chest height between two trees.

He was taken to Sunshine Coast University Hospital with a broken collarbone and several fractured ribs.

https://goo.gl/du7bMd

NASHIE

Re: Attack on cyclist described as "prank"

Postby NASHIE » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:43 pm

I did read somewhere police are investigating other similar instances in the area. Maybe a cyclist has hit it first, but its going to cause damage to any footpath users. Not good

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm

NASHIE wrote:I did read somewhere police are investigating other similar instances in the area. Maybe a cyclist has hit it first, but its going to cause damage to any footpath users. Not good
The garden hose was strung across the road, according to an ABC story.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:20 pm

biker jk wrote:The garden hose was strung across the road, according to an ABC story.
Here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-22/p ... t/10022850
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

diggler

Postby diggler » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:13 pm

What a despicable act. Hope they catch this !(AT)#$.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 pm

I always worry about someone doing this on the PSP due to narrow span and lack of witnesses, never even considered someone might string something across a proper road!

I wonder if those responsible are having a laugh, or filling their daks worrying about being caught now they've hospitalised someone...
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Mububban wrote:I wonder if those responsible are having a laugh, or filling their daks worrying about being caught now they've hospitalised someone...
You're giving critical thinking, care and consideration of consequences a long reach for these perpetrator(s).

On the lighter side, it could make recumbents and velomobiles great again.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Mububban wrote:I wonder if those responsible are having a laugh, or filling their daks worrying about being caught now they've hospitalised someone...
Just setting the trap in the first place is a potential 3 year prison sentence and that is before someone got injured:
http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld ... /s327.html

Thoglette

More from the ABC

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm

ABC??

With some of their attitudes to bicycles, the ABC radio journos are probably cheering these cnuts on :x

A couple of weeks ago we were up at Maroochydore (just a couple of kms from this location), and a local motard (Ford Torino, LH-drive, supercharger, drag mags, the usual motard gaff) gave us grief (horn-blasting, close-shave, abuse, and then left the car to 'talk tango'), then he wandered off, but 5 mins later he was stalking us along the road taking our photos, when we stopped to check our directions. Report lodged to police, but not impossible that this cretin could be mucking up some more :P :evil: .

diggler

Postby diggler » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Scintilla wrote:ABC??

With some of their attitudes to bicycles, the ABC radio journos are probably cheering these cnuts on :x

Don't know how you could reach that conclusion. ABC radio are pro cycling as far as I can see. James Valentine is a cyclist. If anything, they are seen as inner city lefties, the very heartland of cycling. You have somehow confused the ABC with News Limited.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

diggler

Postby diggler » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:50 pm

If it was strung across the road, maybe it wasn't intended to catch a cyclist. Pretty unlucky to be cycling at that time of the morning.

I think "prank" understates the seriousness.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 am

This appears to be an act of pure stupidity in the same vein as throwing rocks at cars from a bridge.

There is no thought about the consequences. I will speculate that it was not necessarily targeted at a bike rider... probably to see what happens if a car hits it.
Cycling is in my BNA

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:32 am

Or a couple of drunken mates walking home after drinking their taxi fare home. Got bored with the shopping trolley they nicked and thought it would be a lark to tie the hose across the road. Not too bright in any case. Perhaps Darwin's law of natural selection will play it's part.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:52 pm

diggler wrote:
Don't know how you could reach that conclusion. ABC radio are pro cycling as far as I can see. James Valentine is a cyclist. If anything, they are seen as inner city lefties, the very heartland of cycling. You have somehow confused the ABC with News Limited.
I'm inclined to agree.

But it was inevitable that conspiracy against cyclists has popped up. The only surprise is that it took so long.

I noticed the odd headline myself when I first came across it and did a double take. For my mind it is just a headline editor who is not very good at his job.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 am

The word "prank" came from the original police report. If you go back to the original press release it seems they have corrected themselves, but the word "prank" is still in the web address ("cyclist injured by prank mooloolaba"): https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2018/0 ... ooloolaba/ . I don't think we can be too harsh on the media for using the same wording as the police. (EDIT: but maybe a little bit!)

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:26 pm

diggler wrote:Don't know how you could reach that conclusion. ABC radio are pro cycling as far as I can see. James Valentine is a cyclist. If anything, they are seen as inner city lefties, the very heartland of cycling. You have somehow confused the ABC with News Limited.
Melbourne and Tasmania's ABC radio comment, and TV news, are almost worse then the Turdoch press when it comes to anything not sport or mainstream 'recreational' cycling. Their comments on the push for helmet--law review by BN, and their acceptance of the Victorian Government's failure to introduce a 1-metre law have been verging on reprehensible. I feel my 8c per day has been sorely misused!

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I came across a rusty roll of wire on the side of path the other week (possibly left by fence sign spammers). I threw it away into the bushes to avoid kids finding it there and thinking it would be funny strung across the cycleway.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Scintilla wrote:Melbourne and Tasmania's ABC radio comment, and TV news, are almost worse then the Turdoch press when it comes to anything not sport or mainstream 'recreational' cycling.
It is also noticeable whenever Aunty borrows cycling transportation content from The Conversation. It seems that part of the deal is that Aunty doesn't get the existing images (just the text).

So Aunty has to replace the Conversation's content-appropriate images. And, almost without exception, they use stock shots of MAMILs. Regardless of the content.

E.g. This Image became Image

There's no bias (or laziness) in that, is there?

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Melbourne and Tasmania's ABC radio comment, and TV news, are almost worse then the Turdoch press when it comes to anything not sport or mainstream 'recreational' cycling.

So Aunty has to replace the Conversation's content-appropriate images. And, almost without exception, they use stock shots of MAMILs. Regardless of the content.

There's no bias (or laziness) in that, is there?
Exactly!

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:34 pm

For those unhappy with the ABC reporting on cycling, you could always send your concerns to Media Watch. I am a regular watcher and have seen them call out the ABC on numerous occasions for inappropriate reporting.
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/more.htm