Almost getting doored - reported to crimestoppers

Abhigreen

Almost getting doored - reported to crimestoppers

Postby Abhigreen » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:17 am

[shareyoutube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOLFd3cNsAM[/shareyoutube]

This was last week on my daily commute to Sydney CBD near Milsons Point station.

Reported the incident to NSW crimestoppers online, however, response is as follows
The NSW Police Force is unable to take the report of the actions of another motorist via the internet. This is due to the fact that the police have not witnessed the incident.

If you wish to make a report about the actions of another motorist you should attend a Police Station and make a report. For more serious matters you will have to make a formal statement setting out the details of the incident. The Police will then interview the registered owner of the vehicle and driver and take action as appropriate. Should the matter proceed to a court hearing, you, as the primary witness, will have to attend court and give evidence proving the offence.

Not sure what the best course of action is - going in person looks like too much of a hassle given no one was injured (appalling road awareness notwithstanding)

find_bruce

Re: Almost getting doored - reported to crimestoppers

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:23 pm

The youtube code is not quite right - it should be

Code: Select all

[shareyoutube]https://youtu.be/mOLFd3cNsAM[/shareyoutube]
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Abhigreen wrote:Not sure what the best course of action is - going in person looks like too much of a hassle given no one was injured (appalling road awareness notwithstanding)
What charge did you think the police were going to lay? Obstructing traffic or double parking perhaps?

Meanwhile, you're passing a vehicle on the left side. One that's not indicating that it wants to turn right.

While legal in NSW (141(2)) you need to do it safely. A car just stopped in the middle of the road, with plenty of free parking space available, should have been a red flag meaning more moronic motorist mayhem.

Just be glad that the driver didn't decide to pull into the parking bay (at 5 seconds in) to drop the passenger off. That would have hurt and there's a chance the police would have judged it to be your fault (see 140 (b)), so you'd be paying for repairs to the car too.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

I tried to report a driver via the same method, but I wasn’t reporting an incident, just that the elderly driver appeared to need a review. Had to go to the station and make a report, which I believe might have been filed in the round cabinet as it was only recorded on a bit of paper.

We need an online report system for minor offences.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 am

A consideration when reporting is that you have to be prepared to take action and let the officers know you are prepared to go to court. Sometimes they will brush you off.

The second thing, you need a lot of time and patience, included very detailed documentation and evidence. Video would be necessary because there is not much chance. You also have to be prepared to follow up with the police.

It should be that hard, but unfortunately is (and the system is flawed somewhat). If there is an injury or fatality, the police will pay more attention to the case.
Cycling is in my BNA

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Abhigreen wrote:Not sure what the best course of action is - going in person looks like too much of a hassle given no one was injured (appalling road awareness notwithstanding)
What charge did you think the police were going to lay? Obstructing traffic or double parking perhaps?

Meanwhile, you're passing a vehicle on the left side. One that's not indicating that it wants to turn right.

While legal in NSW (141(2)) you need to do it safely. A car just stopped in the middle of the road, with plenty of free parking space available, should have been a red flag meaning more moronic motorist mayhem.

Just be glad that the driver didn't decide to pull into the parking bay (at 5 seconds in) to drop the passenger off. That would have hurt and there's a chance the police would have judged it to be your fault (see 140 (b)), so you'd be paying for repairs to the car too.
Given the video appears to be gone, I can't reference the specifics of the situation - but as long as it is reasonably clear to pass I can't say that you would be expected to anticipate a car reversing.

Unless a car is legally parked, passengers should not be exiting from the vehicle - see https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 34zr2.html for more on that.

If the vehicle is not actively turning left *and* giving a left change of direction signal then they have to give way to the cyclist. I would contend that this includes if they are attempting to reverse park by crossing the cyclist's path.

There also doesn't need to be any contact under NSW RR 269: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi ... 6/rule.269 - The simple act of causing a hazard is enough.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000