Bollards!

roberto73

Re: Bollards!

Postby roberto73 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:57 pm

These bollards with a sharp spear like shape are very dangerous IMO. I got some removed from the cyclepath at Malabar, next to Anzac Pde. They served no purpose anyway, since a car coul$ easily get round them. Also some of these style bollards, only wider, on bike path over Cooks River on Princes Highway. Just about decapitate a falling cyclist.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F7wTj7kMujWQY2ZLA

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:26 am

Cycleops70 wrote:
Scott_C wrote: Probably the best article on it, with photo showing how ridiculous it is:
https://www.communitynews.com.au/the-ad ... rous-path/
Thanks.

"City chief executive Mike Foley said the path was safe at night, as long as users rode to the conditions."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't tolerate poles in the middle of the road.
Yep - design the system so that it works if people don't ever make a mistake. Then, when a person (inevitably) makes a mistake and someone gets hurt, we blame them.

Alternatively, design the system so that mistakes don't cause harm - as best as we can.

Sandy2018

Postby Sandy2018 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:42 pm

they should have made those bollards visible such as by reflecting light at night.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Many bollards/"blockers" should be modified and even removed. It creates hassle for cargo bikes, trikes, prams, and mobility scooters

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarpenterBer ... 8952109056
Bernie
@CarpenterBernie
Hey @parracity . Cargo bikes are the future and lifting my cargo bike around these bollards at entrances to the M4 cycleway does not spark joy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 pm

opik_bidin wrote:Many bollards/"blockers" should be modified and even removed. It creates hassle for cargo bikes, trikes, prams, and mobility scooters

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarpenterBer ... 8952109056
Bernie
@CarpenterBernie
Hey @parracity . Cargo bikes are the future and lifting my cargo bike around these bollards at entrances to the M4 cycleway does not spark joy.

But they are needed to deter motorbikes. M7 yesterday afternoon - three motorbikes on there at high speed within a fairly short space of time.

Something has to be done to stop them - and Police or Council rangers can't do anything. By the time they even get a report about it, the motorbikes are long gone.

I would ask, why is that path so narrow...

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:But they are needed to deter motorbikes. M7 yesterday afternoon - three motorbikes on there at high speed within a fairly short space of time.

Something has to be done to stop them - and Police or Council rangers can't do anything. By the time they even get a report about it, the motorbikes are long gone.
Bollards that are dangerous and make the cripple the infrastructure for proper use by cyclists is not the answer.

Sort of like putting speed bumps on freeways to stop people going from speeding. There are better ways to approach the issue. Other states and other countries manage just fine.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:29 am

What are the better ways to approach the issue of motorbikes on the cycle ways?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:19 am

g-boaf wrote:What are the better ways to approach the issue of motorbikes on the cycle ways?
You want an alternative? Big ask, so far all I see are whining complaints, blame throwing and accusations of heinous conduct :lol: Alternatives? Nah.

Tbh, I think that barrier (yeah, barrier. A bollard is a single post or form) is part of a traffic calming attempt for path traffic. The gate, narrowing of the downhill section approaching the road to allow one way traffic, the barrier to force a walking pace; all scream enforced safety on a downhill approach to an intersection. Could be a mile wrong of course.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:31 am

fat and old wrote:
g-boaf wrote:What are the better ways to approach the issue of motorbikes on the cycle ways?
You want an alternative? Big ask, so far all I see are whining complaints, blame throwing and accusations of heinous conduct :lol: Alternatives? Nah.

Tbh, I think that barrier (yeah, barrier. A bollard is a single post or form) is part of a traffic calming attempt for path traffic. The gate, narrowing of the downhill section approaching the road to allow one way traffic, the barrier to force a walking pace; all scream enforced safety on a downhill approach to an intersection. Could be a mile wrong of course.

You are right. There is a similar double barrier not too far from the one above installed at the end of a cycle way as it approaches an intersection. Highly deliberate to slow people down. Or to stop green velomobiles totally.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:46 am

Sounds like it. And for the people who claim that “they” wouldn’t put that on a road, you’re half right..,or half wrong? The road version is known as “traffic lights”. Do you want traffic lights at path intersections?

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Enforcement both authority and social for starters.

I don't see anything like this around where I live in Melbourne. We have plenty of bike lanes and paths and certainly don't have the issue of motorbikes on bike paths. (I do see motorbikes and motorscooters using bike LANES not too infrequently. But to be honest most do so with deference to cyclists and aren't a big issue.)

Typical path/road intersection around here.
https://www.google.com/maps/(AT)-37.779963 ... 312!8i6656

In other areas I can think of a few. Often relics of the past and in rural type surrounds. This is one that comes to mind. But do notice that they have removed the gate that was previously there to make it easier for large bicycles!

So yeah like I say we generally don't have such offensive bollards around here and nor is there a need for them. If there is need to control reckless access then that should be addressed without impairing the use of the path. If we want to encourage cycling the solution shouldn't to make cycling infrastructure harder for cyclists to use.

Anything that effectively blocks all motorbikes will quite effectively block or majority impair access for many larger bicycles. Physical barriers are not the solution.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:58 pm

fat and old wrote:Sounds like it. And for the people who claim that “they” wouldn’t put that on a road, you’re half right..,or half wrong? The road version is known as “traffic lights”. Do you want traffic lights at path intersections?
If I weren't so exhausted I'd go ride down there and take some more photos to show a bit more of the surroundings - I think I know where it is. I'm fairly sure it isn't on the M4 cycleway itself, but somewhere off the side of it. The M4 pathway doesn't have too many offensive bollards or barriers along it fortunately. I know, I used to ride it regularly on my commute to work.

Now I go a different way doing more on-road riding because the road is cleaner, and it is faster. Parramatta council seems too lazy to clean up all the silt/debris left over from the last few big storms. I don't like riding through that because there always seems to be broken glass mixed in with it too. :roll:

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Setting up cameras, fines, plate numbers, confiscation of motorbikes

i

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 pm

g-boaf wrote: Or to stop green velomobiles totally.

:shock: :shock: :x :x

hmmmmm
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Now I go a different way doing more on-road riding because the road is cleaner, and it is faster. Parramatta council seems too lazy to clean up all the silt/debris left over from the last few big storms. I don't like riding through that because there always seems to be broken glass mixed in with it too. :roll:
Apparently the M4 pathway is the under the contract of Downer Mouchel (on behalf of RMS).

Email: Enquiries_NSW@dmroads.com.au

..as referred to me by Parramatta Council
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

opik_bidin wrote:Setting up cameras, fines, plate numbers, confiscation of motorbikes

i
Most all trail bikes don’t have number plates. Bummer, but sounds familiar :lol:

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 pm

fat and old wrote:
opik_bidin wrote:Setting up cameras, fines, plate numbers, confiscation of motorbikes

i
Most all trail bikes don’t have number plates. Bummer, but sounds familiar :lol:
The WA police have this sorted out. Use on the ground assets and/or members of the public to follow the trail bikes back to their homes (over as many days as necessary), raid the homes. Seize "methamphetamine, thousands of dollars worth of allegedly stolen goods and gun parts."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:32 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Or to stop green velomobiles totally.

:shock: :shock: :x :x

hmmmmm

The ones I'm thinking of, your velomobile wouldn't fit through them. And worse, the edge of the path has a big drop off to loose gravel. :evil: