Crash database or statistics for NSW?

Jangari

Crash database or statistics for NSW?

Postby Jangari » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 am

Apologies if this is in the wrong topic, or already has a sticky or whatever.

I was involved in a fairly horrific crash on Thursday on Bridge Rd Glebe, near the intersection of Wentworth Park Rd. A driver merging into Bridge Rd simply failed to give way, and ploughed straight into my rear wheel as I was traveling 37.1km/h (according to Strava). Witnesses say he was doing at least 25km/h, and never slowed until he'd contacted my bike.

I leaned into the bonnet just before impact and get sent flying over it onto the road and skidded for a few metres on my elbow and then belly (based on the injuries). The bike was pulled straight under his front wheels and was basically crushed.

Of course, he stopped, we exchanged details, he gave a verbal assurance that he'd pay for the damage (i.e., replacement), and all that, so this isn't a 'left the scene' kind of gripe that I have.

My injuries were, surprisingly, given the speed of the crash and the damage to the bike, very minor. A deep graze on my elbow, a shallow graze on my belly, but nothing else. Ambulance was called and they took me to hospital, at my request, as a precaution. I was discharged after a full trauma consult, an x-ray on the elbow in case there was debris lodged in there, and a fresh dressing, with antibiotics for the likely infection.

The next day I reported the crash to police, because firstly, if there's any dispute later between me and the driver I want to have a record, and secondly, to have the crash recorded in statistics; this corner is a black spot in my view and I've had several near misses.

At the police station there was some discussion about whether the incident need to be reported at all, given how minor it was. Minor here means that my injuries won't require ongoing treatment, and both parties exchanged details. After some consternation, they took my statement but said it would likely be recorded as a minor occurrence and won't be investigated. He was also unable to say whether the crash would enter into any kind of database.

I don't particularly care if it's investigated, or if the driver is issued with an infringment notice for failure to give way, or anything like that. I ultimately want the crash noted in stats for better reporting. Is anyone here are if the process by which accidents are categorised in police databases?

find_bruce

Re: Crash database or statistics for NSW?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 am

First & most importantly I'm glad you were not seriously injured.

I presume by merge you meant the driver came around the corner of Wattle St or the corner of Wentworth Park Rd and failed to give way

In terms of reporting, the requirement under the road rules is clear
Road Rule 287
(3) The driver must also give the driver’s required particulars, within the required time, to a police officer if:
(a) anyone is killed or injured in the crash,
You were injured so yes the Police officer is required to record the details.

These statistics are then collated by the NSW centre for road safety. Eg if you go to the crashes map you can filter by the Sydney local area command, and bicycle crashes to see every reported incident in the area.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:10 am

Is there still a requirement to involve the police if a crash exceeds a certain dollar value in damage? There used to be when I learned to drive in Qld, but I am not sure now. They might be surprised about the replacement value of your bicycle.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:08 pm

RobertL wrote:Is there still a requirement to involve the police if a crash exceeds a certain dollar value in damage? There used to be when I learned to drive in Qld, but I am not sure now. They might be surprised about the replacement value of your bicycle.
IIRC that used to be the requirement in NSW, but some time ago it changed to the current form,. The $ value was replaced by the requirement of notification if the vehicle is towed, as the full section shows:
Road Rule 287
(3) The driver must also give the driver’s required particulars, within the required time, to a police officer if:
(a) anyone is killed or injured in the crash, or
(b) the driver does not, for any reason, give the driver’s required particulars to each person mentioned in subrule (2), or
(c) the required particulars for any other driver involved in the crash are not given to the driver, or
(d) a vehicle involved in the crash is towed or carried away by another vehicle (except if another law of this jurisdiction provides that the crash is not required to be reported), or
(e) the police officer asks for any of the required particulars.
Given that a bicycle is a vehicle, if you took it home in a car because it was unrideable, (d) would also apply.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Jangari wrote:I was involved in a fairly horrific crash on Thursday on Bridge Rd Glebe, near the intersection of Wentworth Park Rd. A driver merging into Bridge Rd simply failed to give way, and ploughed straight into my rear wheel as I was traveling 37.1km/h
I assume that it's this merge here Jangari: https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.875 ... 312!8i6656

Yes I hope that it gets recorded, those angled merges are really dangerous for bikes. There is little doubt that some people just don't even look for bikes. No doubt this driver was looking straight past you to see oncoming cars and trucks. I've been lucky to avoid several accidents just like that one. It's a really shocking feeling when you suddenly realize that car isn't stopping or even slowing when it's almost right upon you isn't it. :x

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks find_bruce for find the relevant section of the road rules. If I read it correctly, if a vehicle involved in the crash had to be transported away from the scene by the use of another vehicle (which is a test for the extent of damage caused). I returned to the scene the next day to collect the bike, so this would seem to satisfy this subsection.

In which case, §287 would require the driver to report the incident to police?

If and when I am contacted by Leichhardt Police to follow up on the incident I'll raise this.
uart wrote:I assume that it's this merge here Jangari: https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.875 ... 312!8i6656
That's the corner exactly. I should (and from now on will) have merged into the right lane before this merge point.

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm

It's much better that the criteria are based on the degree of damage to the vehicle rather than the value of the damage. If I'm riding a pub-bike that I cobbled together from $100 worth of parts, it should be no less a reportable incident than if I were riding a $10,000 TT.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Jangari wrote:
uart wrote:I assume that it's this merge here Jangari: https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.875 ... 312!8i6656
That's the corner exactly. I should (and from now on will) have merged into the right lane before this merge point.
It's not a merge - the driver on Wentworth Park Rd is required to give way as indicated by this sign. The driver clearly failed to slow down and if necessary stop to avoid a collision

But given the 2nd lane ends at the next intersection I would be taking the same approach as you suggest and moving into the other lane in plenty of time.