UK : Council puts up £12,000 speed signs for cyclists

opik_bidin

UK : Council puts up £12,000 speed signs for cyclists

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm

They're going too fast, they're going too slow

Looks like things like these are the ones australian gov are likel;y to put up and then name it cycling infra

https://www.bikebiz.com/community/counc ... r-cyclists

Bournemouth council has put up four flashing speed signs costing £12,000 in an attempt to 'slow cyclists down', The Telegraph reports.

The four digital devices cost £3,000 each and have been placed along the seven-mile beach promenade with the aim to reduce the number of clashes between cyclists and pedestrians.

The vehicle-activated signs flash up the speed limit of ten miles per hour to warn riders they are going too fast.

AdelaidePeter

Re: UK : Council puts up £12,000 speed signs for cyclists

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:52 pm

opik_bidin wrote:They're going too fast, they're going too slow

Looks like things like these are the ones australian gov are likel;y to put up and then name it cycling infra

https://www.bikebiz.com/community/counc ... r-cyclists

Bournemouth council has put up four flashing speed signs costing £12,000 in an attempt to 'slow cyclists down', The Telegraph reports.

The four digital devices cost £3,000 each and have been placed along the seven-mile beach promenade with the aim to reduce the number of clashes between cyclists and pedestrians.

The vehicle-activated signs flash up the speed limit of ten miles per hour to warn riders they are going too fast.
I don't see a problem. If it's a beach promenade shared between cyclists and pedestrians then yes, it is easily possible for cyclists to be going too fast. Plus 12000 pounds sounds cheap: one averted injury claim could pay for them all.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Do they look like this one put up by the Inner West Clowncil to shout at you if you exceed 10 km/h

I don't know why that sign "fell over", just that one day it was there the next the 75mm steel post was bent 90° at the base & its corpse lay there for a month before being removed.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:03 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote: I don't see a problem. If it's a beach promenade shared between cyclists and pedestrians then yes, it is easily possible for cyclists to be going too fast. Plus 12000 pounds sounds cheap: one averted injury claim could pay for them all.
Yup, plus closed to cyclists betwen 10am and 6pm in summer, plus 69 cyclists booked for speeding in four days.
More here
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am

I can't help but think that some textured paint "speed humps" would be cheaper and more effective than signs.