Trek Domane flex issues

Nobody

Re: Trek Domane flex issues

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:01 am

jacks1071 wrote:It'd be interesting for someone to do some independant research on the concept of introducing more flex into road frames and if that actually reduced fatigue which in turn resulted in more performance.
From what I read many years ago when MTB FS was coming in, hardtail was faster for 2 hours and FS was faster after that, due to less fatigue. Some MTB racers were happy with FS anyway as they believed it helped them recover faster. You could probably apply this to the Damone in some way.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 am

The qualitative data is that the Saturday ride was easier to recover from with the Domane. I honestly would have loved to give it a go but the cost penalty for me (clearance 5.2 Madone) was going to be huge - and I think I'd like to have a more aggressive bike that the H2... relaxing the H2 just isn't an option!

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Nobody wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:It'd be interesting for someone to do some independant research on the concept of introducing more flex into road frames and if that actually reduced fatigue which in turn resulted in more performance.
From what I read many years ago when MTB FS was coming in, hardtail was faster for 2 hours and FS was faster after that, due to less fatigue. Some MTB racers were happy with FS anyway as they believed it helped them recover faster. You could probably apply this to the Damone in some way.
I guess the "break-even" point would depend on your level of fitness. A strong rider would almost always be faster on the hard tail but absolutely at some point fatigue is going to creep in.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
Nobody wrote:
I guess the "break-even" point would depend on your level of fitness. A strong rider would almost always be faster on the hard tail but absolutely at some point fatigue is going to creep in.
You would also need to factor in the effect of the dually being heavier, though at the pointy end of the price range there isn't that much in it any more. When I was riding MTB I found my dually to be harder work than the hardtail, but they were both fairly low end.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue May 21, 2013 11:49 am

Nobody wrote:....
It doesn't seem to work as I thought it would. Seems that most of the flex is in the post/mast and the coupling just acts a pivot.
I would somewhat disagree, judging from what I saw in a shop yesterday. The shop guy leant hard onto the seat with his elbow and the seat tube (ie. between TT and BB) deflected 3-4mm under the force. So from my observation it's definitely the frame that provides some 'extra' flex beyond what a carbon seatpost atop a conventionally jointed frame would do.
Nobody wrote:I think the only advantage of the Damone is a lighter version of inserting a bit of flex into the bike experience. When compared with the Canyon seatpost and another carbon frame, it may not even be that. It is probably slightly faster than running 25s at lower pressures, or pushing a Brooks with a steel seatpost up a hill (both of which I do) but this only matters if you are racing. If not, then there are cheaper options.
Price is important for any buyer of a new bike of course but I think the Domane is a good integrated package of speed/weight/comfort and spec level, especially around the ~$2500 (on special) price point for Ultegra. Just my opinion, of course.

Interesting point the shop guy made was that they used to sell GIANT and the Madone fits somewhere between the Defy and TCR in the speed/weight/comfort space. I've ridden a Defy (hired for a week in Europe - very nice ride) but not the Domane ... yet. Not sure exactly where that places the Domane, but I guess comparable to the Defy, although the shop guy (who rides a Domane himself now) says it is more comfortable than even the Defy, which is saying something. His comment on the initial apparent flex with the Domane is that you notice it for the first 10-15kms then forget about it as you get used to the armchair ride. :)

And just on the fatigue thing, I think you most notice it during and after long road rides (say 80-90+kms) or when you do several successive long days. If you are a bit older or have any back issues (or both) then endurance geo is the bees knees, irrespective of the frame material.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

ClydesdaleChris

Postby ClydesdaleChris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:48 am

I have a 6-series Domane, I weigh 100kg and ride it like I stole it (I'm a B-grader level). I'd know if it was going to crack by now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:14 am

I'd love to know if they are going to bring the Pro Endurance geometry (basically H1 Domane, similar to the Madone's H1 vs H2) to the lower series. RIght now it seems like it's a Project One for 14K kind of prospect. That isn't going to happen.

ClydesdaleChris

Postby ClydesdaleChris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 am

I doubt it xplora. If you want a racier geometry it'll be the madone for you.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:34 am

That's the current steed... and the ride isn't bad, don't get me wrong... but aero plus comfy buns equals C grade happiness ;)

ClydesdaleChris

Postby ClydesdaleChris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 am

Yep! I have my stem slammed and it's just right. I have seen more than one -17 degree stem out there too.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 pm

V17L wrote:Hi Bianchi,
It is a great looking bike, and I am very tempted.

I think I will have a few more sleeps before I decide. If I do, I would love the 5.9, (very jealous of your wife), but my budget would stretch to a 5.2.

I think the best answer is to go to the lbs and do a test ride.

cheers
steve
Trek have a sale on at the moment, might help?? Also BIG ++ for Riders Choice. Had a fit done by Gary, very professional. Can't really comment on the flex, coming from an FX 7.7 it is quite different. Rear end does seem very supple compared to the front.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7