Madone 5 Series Front Brake

Toxteth

Madone 5 Series Front Brake

Postby Toxteth » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Have just purchased a new Madone 5.9 DI2 bike.

Inspecting it at home I've noticed that the front brake is an Ultegra direct mount unit instead of the specified Bontrager Speed Limit integrated brake. I've asked the bike shop to advise why the change has been made.

Is their any advantage/disadvantage of the Bontrager over the Ultegra or am I best leaving it as it is?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Madone 5 Series Front Brake

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Toxteth wrote:Have just purchased a new Madone 5.9 DI2 bike.

Inspecting it at home I've noticed that the front brake is an Ultegra direct mount unit instead of the specified Bontrager Speed Limit integrated brake. I've asked the bike shop to advise why the change has been made.

Is their any advantage/disadvantage of the Bontrager over the Ultegra or am I best leaving it as it is?
I've got a tenner to say the "Bontrager" brake is a rebadged Tektro/TRP item. Not bad but not Ultegra either...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Congrats! I bought the Dura-Ace 5.9 today. From what I've read the Ultegra 6800 brake is an improvement over the Bontrager, I'd be happy and consider an upgrade.

slowK

Postby slowK » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:45 pm

There's lots of talk out on various sites about how poor the Bontrager brakes are. By most accounts, the Shimano direct mount ones are superior (most mention Dura-Ace, but the Ultegras are apparently similar in function). I'm not very impressed with the Bontragers on my Madone - I think the SRAM Rival brakes on my old bike were better, and would consider changing to the Shimanos.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:10 pm

My understanding of Trek's specifications is that they are VERY loose and can be changed on a whim; if you are ordering the bike from the warehouse, you can get whatever you want on it, similar to Project One. Just don't expect your custom components to be cheap ;)

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:35 pm

I run the Ultegras on my 6.5 Madone. Never actually had the Bontragers so can't compare but from everything I read before buying the Shimano's came out way ahead. Very happy with them.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I had the Bontragers on my 5.9 and changed them within a couple of weeks to Dura Ace. Chalk and cheese performance and I would expect nearly the same improvement with ultegra. Definitely an upgrade on the bontragers!

Toxteth

Postby Toxteth » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the input.

My own experience after riding the bike for a few days is that the Ultegra front brake is far superior to the Bontranger rear brake and that I will probably look at swapping out the rear.

slowK

Postby slowK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:52 am

I have just bit the bullet too and swapped out the Bontrager brakes for Ultegra integrated ones ($65 shipped per end - much cheaper than Dura Ace, and only a few grams heavier). Much better. Works fine with SRAM levers too.