Converting my Superfly 5 to 1x10 + some extras

Mrlinderman

Converting my Superfly 5 to 1x10 + some extras

Postby Mrlinderman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi all,

I've been riding my Superfly now for a few months and love it, it was the right choice for me bike wise, I am a larger guy and the frame suits me very well, I've found that during my rides I have not used the lower gear once, so in light of this and also having an urge to attempt a small mods to the bike I have decided to make the bike a 1x10 and also swap out the handlebars, I find I am bent over a bit too much on the bike and usually when riding find my hands pulling back a little so only my finger tips are on the bars, not the best for stability, so out comes a little $ and an attempt to do a few cosmetic and enhancements to the bike

Thought I'd document my conversion of the Superfly 5 to 1x10 so anyone wanting to do the same has a reference point.

My main reasons for the conversion are:
  • I have not used the lower ring on my 2x setup since I bought the bike, around 2 months now, 6 different trails
  • I like the clean look of the 1x10 setups
  • I want to attempt a mechanical change to the bike so I can become more adept at bike mechanics, a crank ring change seemed a good place to start
  • The conversion is relatively cheap and if I don't like it it won't be too difficult to go back to 2x
  • Cause I want to :)
I have purchased the below items for the 1x10 conversion: The bike I am converting:
Trek Superfly 5 2015 model
Stock Crank: Race Face Ride (22/36)
Stock Cassette: 11-36 Shimano HG50 10 Speed

Parts were ordered from Wiggle on the 11th Feb, will keep a record of the conversion and any problems I run into, will also post pics as parts arrive

Additional parts ordered to fit out: The bar has an additional 14mm rise over the stock bar and an additional 2 deg of upsweep, hopefully this will alleviate the tendency for me to pull back and rest my hands on their tips when cruising and assist my while I build up more core strength to get lower

The grips, well they looked cool and the reviews looked positive enough to try them out, plus i have large mitts so hopefully that will help with a firmer grip for me.

Jack
"Hope is not a strategy"
Trek Superfly 21.5 2015 29er

bychosis

Re: Converting my Superfly 5 to 1x10 + some extras

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:47 pm

Somebody likes red! I got matching turquoise grips for my yeti because I could.
I went from 3x9 to 1x9 a while back and enjoy the simplicity and don't really miss the extra gears. It was before narrow wide rings were widely found so I got a widgit ring. Works well too.

Enjoy the upgrade process.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:03 pm

I thought about keeping it all black but the bike is dark enough as it is, needed a bit of brightness in her :)
"Hope is not a strategy"

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:34 am

Parts arrived yesterday, will try to get some pics up of the conversion ASAP, big 30th for the miss's soon so busy busy lol
"Hope is not a strategy"

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:54 am

Some random stuff I'll add:
- This is a good opportunity to clean out your bottom bracket or replace bearings.
- Make sure you have lots of grease on hand.
- Careful getting your hands stabbed by the chainrings!
- Make sure you have very long good quality allen keys. The normal l shaped ones are best as I find the triangular bike ones get in the way. Long allen keys will also help with the comment above.
- Check and double check allen key sizes. Some of the metric and imperial sizes are close and feel like they fit but there is very slight slack. this causes crankbolts and whatever else to round rendering them useless.
- Don't get all weight weenie excited and remove the fd and shifter before you are satisfied with the install.
- Check chain line and determine if you need longer/shorter crank bolts and/or spacers.
- Remove pedals for reduce the potency of the infamous shin tearing capabilities flat pedal are known for.

Excuse my grumpyness, I just did the 1x10 on my bike last night in may apartment flat in a space 1.5x3m on tarps and no bike stand! I may also have some semi rounded bolts and a hole in my hand.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Love it Calvin :D thanks for the tips

I should be sweet allen kew wise, I have a full range of Imperial and Metric high quality allen drivers as well as a full range of L shaped keys
Also just purchased a 1-20Nm Norbar Torque Wrench for my bike as well as some other hobby stuff I do
OK amount of space in the garage and can clamp the bike to my work rack
Bike is only a few months old so not sure if bearings will need touching but I'll def check the grease on them and make sure everything is well greased up.
Pedals I use are the dual sided Shimano clipless ones, so i can clip in on one side or flat pedal on the other, love em
Not a weight weenie, doing this mod for simplicity reasons, I weight 106kg's so no amount of bike weight reduction I do will be more effective than just riding and getting fitter :P

Thanks mate
Calvin27 wrote:Some random stuff I'll add:
- This is a good opportunity to clean out your bottom bracket or replace bearings.
- Make sure you have lots of grease on hand.
- Careful getting your hands stabbed by the chainrings!
- Make sure you have very long good quality allen keys. The normal l shaped ones are best as I find the triangular bike ones get in the way. Long allen keys will also help with the comment above.
- Check and double check allen key sizes. Some of the metric and imperial sizes are close and feel like they fit but there is very slight slack. this causes crankbolts and whatever else to round rendering them useless.
- Don't get all weight weenie excited and remove the fd and shifter before you are satisfied with the install.
- Check chain line and determine if you need longer/shorter crank bolts and/or spacers.
- Remove pedals for reduce the potency of the infamous shin tearing capabilities flat pedal are known for.

Excuse my grumpyness, I just did the 1x10 on my bike last night in may apartment flat in a space 1.5x3m on tarps and no bike stand! I may also have some semi rounded bolts and a hole in my hand.
"Hope is not a strategy"

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:03 pm

hello mrleinderman,

I've recently taken delivery of a Superfly (new) with the 1X 10 setup done by the bike shop.
They took off the front deraillier etc and used a spacer between the BB and the front chainring- maybe you are onto that?
The chainline is not perfect running on the easiest gear but I hardly ever use that. I have a 38 on the front.
if you have any questions about measurements or a need for photos I am happy to help.

cheers,

CB

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks CB, much appreciated, I hope to start my conversion in the next few weeks, I have my partners 30th coming up so i have to be careful not to "mention" working on the bike just yet haha, gotta make a 3 tier's rotating cake stand and 6 Markee letters with LED lights first LOL
"Hope is not a strategy"

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Did you get around to doing this?

Mine has about 1500kms on it as 1x10. I love it.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Nice bag man.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Nice bag man.
Cheers I have 2 of them. Such good quality and aussie made too.

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:37 am

Hi Mugglechops

I did yes, had my first real ride with the conversion last weekend at Youyangs, was awesome, I love the 1x10.. i never used the lower gears on the front rings so made sense to me. I also love the bars, I'm a tall guy and the extra lift on the bars helps with my back as before I was having to bend over that little bit too much for good grip where as now i'm about 2 or 3 deg less angle on the back which has helped me allot (not super fit)

I'll see if i can get some pics up for you
"Hope is not a strategy"

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Mine looks a lot different now. Have done 5000kms and still love 1x10

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:52 pm

Here are some pics, i like the camo look on yours muggle

"Hope is not a strategy"

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Looks good

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 am

Mugglechops wrote:Looks good
Thanks mate, I'm considering getting a shorter stem and dropping the bars by one spacer, I'm starting to do more technical trails and less of the big hill climbs.
"Hope is not a strategy"

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:41 pm

Try flipping your stem to a negative rise.

Before I broke my back my front end was a lot lower and forward.

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks muggle will give that a go...
"Hope is not a strategy"