Ridesense with Garmin

li2099

Ridesense with Garmin

Postby li2099 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Heya
So the Ridesense just stopped responding this week.
The LEDs on it still blinks when wheels are turned.
I've searched online and tried the usual suggestions:

- Changed new batteries.
- Reset the Ridesense by taking out the battery and leaving it for 30 seconds then back in.
- Reset Garmin.
- Updated Garmin firmware.
- Mounted Garmin as removable drive and deleting any files in the 2 named folders.
- Tested the Garmin with it's own cadence and speed sensor and it worked.
- Moved the magnets' current position.
- Changed the search from Cadence/ Speed sensor to Cadence and Speed sensor in the Garmin options.

The receipt shows the bike is just 2 weeks out of warranty :(
Last resort is buying a new one($80) from Giant store tonight if I can't get lucky.

Any suggestions to get it working?

Scott2468

Re: Ridesense with Garmin

Postby Scott2468 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 pm

When you say "reset garmin", I assume you re-scanned.

I havent had this problem with my ridesense but I did with an old garmin cadence sensor.

Remove battery. Put battery back in upside down. Only a second or two is all that is needed.

Then put battery back in correctly. Re-scan and cross your fingers.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Scott2468 wrote:When you say "reset garmin", I assume you re-scanned.

I havent had this problem with my ridesense but I did with an old garmin cadence sensor.

Remove battery. Put battery back in upside down. Only a second or two is all that is needed.

Then put battery back in correctly. Re-scan and cross your fingers.
Thanks
I've never thought of putting in the battery upside down .
I just took it out and left it without the battery for 30seconds.
I thought this was like a motherboard BIOS.
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Make sure that when you reset and rescan on the Garmin you are nowhere near any other sensors or bikes fitted with other sensors other than the Ridesense you want picked-up.
I had similar problems to you a while ago.
It turned out my Edge 800 was picking up a Garmin sensor on another bike of mine nearly ten meters away rather than the Ridesense on the bike I wanted it to.
Then later on the road it was picking up my mate's Garmin sensor rather than mine.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Tim wrote:Make sure that when you reset and rescan on the Garmin you are nowhere near any other sensors or bikes fitted with other sensors other than the Ridesense you want picked-up.
I had similar problems to you a while ago.
It turned out my Edge 800 was picking up a Garmin sensor on another bike of mine nearly ten meters away rather than the Ridesense on the bike I wanted it to.
Then later on the road it was picking up my mate's Garmin sensor rather than mine.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have any other bikes with Ridesense.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Other nearby sensors don't specifcally have to be Ridesense to cause incorrect pairing; anything that uses ANT+ signalling (including your other Garmin sensors) can cause problems if it's near enough, so move any other sensors well away.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks Duck but I went to the Giant store in Clarence St Sydney (place of purchase), told them about my problem.
Despite being 2 weeks over the warranty period, they swapped a new sensor for me.
When I want to upgrade my 2012 TCR, I know which store I'll be going.

BTW tried the sensor straight away when I got home and problem solved. Pity as the old sensor looked practically new. Might be vibrations of the road perhaps that killed the electronics?!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:41 am

li2099 wrote:Thanks Duck but I went to the Giant store in Clarence St Sydney (place of purchase), told them about my problem.
Despite being 2 weeks over the warranty period, they swapped a new sensor for me.
When I want to upgrade my 2012 TCR, I know which store I'll be going.

BTW tried the sensor straight away when I got home and problem solved. Pity as the old sensor looked practically new. Might be vibrations of the road perhaps that killed the electronics?!
These guys at Giant Sydney are an absolute class act! Who knows what could have gone wrong with the old sensor. Small piece of electronic gadgetry - any number of things could have gone wrong with it.

kx315

Postby kx315 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:58 am

I am on my second sensor also. my LBS happily swapped out for me outside of the warranty period.
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0