Giant Propel

rheicel

Re: Giant Propel

Postby rheicel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:50 pm

^Should fit with no problem. The inside of the BB is a big hollow area. Cheers, Rheicel

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:04 am

rheicel wrote:^Should fit with no problem. The inside of the BB is a big hollow area. Cheers, Rheicel
No lips? Pure smooth cylinder all the way through?

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 am

There is no sleeve internally its completely open (makes di2 installs a dream)

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:33 am

Sweet, thanks

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:47 am

For those with garmin mount issues, when using stock SLR bars, I recently had this made locally. It adjustable in angle and reach, so it will fit an 800, 510 etc.
Fetha custom components in hallam Victoria for those interested.

BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

lannes

Postby lannes » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Drizt wrote:Anyone have a photo of a propel with the bb removed? Would like to see what it looks like inside the frame. Wondering if one of these would fit

http://bbinfinite.myshopify.com/product ... it-shimano" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's basically straight through on a propel bb, have you considered the Wheelsmfg threaded bb's, much more secure being threaded together less chance of bb issues.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(only issue is to fit it you need a Park Tool BBT-29 wrench)

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:48 am

Bought the BBInfinite bracket, just waiting on delivery.

Fingers crossed that it is awesome :)

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:23 pm

BBinfinite wouldn't fit Propel (cable guide stuck in too far).... so sending it back... doh :(

On another note.... if you have a creaking Propel check that the bottle cage on the seat tube has clearance and it isn't rubbing on the frame (top and bottom). I had a massive creaking noise under load and we were all stumped for agers... Turned out to be a freaking bottle cage.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:29 am

Hi all,

I am looking at the 2016 Propel Advanced Pro 1.

The specs show the brakes as - Giant SpeedControl SL Ti, Titanium hardware

I note the all the brake issues previously including potential issues being rectified with the latest models.

My concern is the brakes not adjusting and sticking to the rim.

Does anyone have a 2016 model or does anyone have any updates on the brake performance.

Cheers
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue May 24, 2016 11:25 am

Drizt wrote: On another note.... if you have a creaking Propel check that the bottle cage on the seat tube has clearance and it isn't rubbing on the frame (top and bottom). I had a massive creaking noise under load and we were all stumped for agers... Turned out to be a freaking bottle cage.
I'ma need to check this. I've had a creaking for ages and can never find the source.....

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue May 24, 2016 11:41 am

bianchi928 wrote: Does anyone have a 2016 model or does anyone have any updates on the brake performance.
My brother in law has one and the brakes are great. The 2016 brakes are fine.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Wed May 25, 2016 9:46 am

I have a 2016 Adv Pro 0 and find the brakes are perfect.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Just a bit of info for those that have ridesense synced to a garmin. First off, speed sensor was a piece of pie. Easy to install. It was nice to see anti-sieze fitted to the threads of the ridesense bits and bobs. I used a dab of grease to be super safe.

Anyway, the drama was all in the cadence magnet. I for the life of me couldn't understand why the sensor wouldn't fit on the non-driveside crank arm. The instructions called for it to be installed on the 'right' pedal, but everywhere online showed guys fitting it to non-driveside inside face of crank arms, adjacent the unit.

I experimented with it in the a number of locations used rubber bands as the testing device to secure it in place. The sticky stuff under the mounting pad is next to useless, so use the zipties if you don't have problems.

With di2 on ultegra crank arms driveside, the unit will clear the rear stays, but not the di2 unit at 12'o clock. It's too far anyway from the ridesense unit. So I tried non-driveside outer face of crank arm. No luck, not close enough. After having the garmin fail to pick it up, I removed the rubber pad mounting the magnet and housing, put it infront where the pedals thread into the crank arm and then fixed it using an old sigma elastic band. Perfect. No need for zip ties, the unit has maybe 3-4 mm clearance from the rear stays and the rubber bands let me take the unit off when I need to remove sensor. The magnet is also held in place by the pedal axle. You beauty. :mrgreen:

Next up, an out in front mount for the garmin. Giant make a gopro/garmin one for about $55 but it looks sort of clunky.

Overall, the amount of proprietary parts on the propel have been a challenge for me. Once it's setup, no dramas, but the journey there sucks. Everything from the seatpost clamp, brakes (with carbon wheels) and bars have been a little bit annoying, but the value of the bike is amazing to say something like the Canyon Aeroad.

On the question side, those with fouriers... Which model of the system are you guys using?
http://www.fouriers-bike.com/en/pro.php?m=l&f=2&cid=10

BR-S005 or BR-DX005? Fouriers are yet to confirm for me, but it seems the main difference is the swisstop pads that are supplied between these two types of brakes. That's a non-issue for as I already have Reynolds pads fitted to my wheels. Huge price difference between the two. For those wondering about the brakes on current 2015/2016 models, if you're using alloy brake tracks, the braking is perfectly good. You may still have clearance issues for wider tyre profiles though.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:56 pm

The only issue I ever have is getting the cadence magnet clearance. Without the supplied spacer block it's too far away from the seatstay (with the cadence sensor of the Ridesense inside), but the spacer supplied is too thick, so then the magnet doesn't go through the gap between frame & crank arm. You can either file/grind the spacer down, or just make your own thinner one with some strips or rubber. Then just position the magnet on the crank so it triggers the red indicator light on the sensor.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

VinceGU05

Postby VinceGU05 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:26 pm

i guess i was lucky. had no problem connecting the garmin 520 with the ridesence and the tickr HRM and used the Fetha mount. lovely bit of kit.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Those of you guys with Fourier's... How did you deal with the cabling.

A few pics below. I routed the noodle driveside, which doesn't look as clean, as most of the cabling runs through the left side of the top tube. NOT ENOUGH AERO ha.

Pics for reference...

amac38

Postby amac38 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Any idea if there'll be a new 2018 Giant Propel SL (or Advanced/Advanced Pro) frame being released? Or will it be another paintjob?

The 2017 Propel SL frame is the same as the 2013 Propel SL frame so is it safe to assume a new model will be released this year?

Thanks in advance.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:37 am

I believe there is an all new Propel in the works, but no details yet.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 am

Money on the new model having a disc brake option :)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Drizt wrote:Money on the new model having a disc brake option :)
Disc brakes only for 2018. No rim brake option available. Apparently Giant made that development decision 3 years ago!

I thought I was settled on a TCR for my next bike, but then I got recommended the Propel, LBS reckons the new frames are supposed to be awesome. Decisions decisions!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!