2017 Range

Duck!
Expert

2017 Range

Postby Duck! » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Giant have begun sneaking some "early release" 2017 models into the market. Mostly these are "recreational" bikes; kids' bikes, lower-end MTBs (Boulder, Talon series) and hybrids, but a handful of "Performance" models are appearing, for the most part little more than new paint jobs. There are a few interesting standouts though. First, there's an entry-level TCR Advanced 3, kitted out with Tiagra gear, and tipping the budgetary scales at $1900. At the other end of the spectrum there's both a TCR and Propel Adv. SL with SRAM Red E-tap, priced pretty well equivalent to the existing SL 0 with Dura-ace Di2. In between there's a limited edition "Team Replica" TCR Advanced Pro; basically a Pro 1 (mechanical Ultegra) wearing Alpecin team colours. Subtly, and perhaps most interestingly, the Defy (and presumably Avail in the Liv women's line) Advanced has a minor makeover to suit flat-mount brakes and through-axles at both ends. The remainder of the frame appears to be carried over.

Nothing yet of a TCR Disc; however Giant haven't yet shown their full 2017 hand. The main launch for the rest of the range is in about a month, so everything else will be revealed then.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

stevenaaus

Re: 2017 Range

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Interesting to see if the new Defys still come with disc brakes.

There's some pretty decent discounts in the giant stores at the moment on the old models.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:20 pm

stevenaaus wrote:Interesting to see if the new Defys still come with disc brakes.
Why would that be interesting? Only the most entry level aluminium Defies have rim brakes; all others are disc-specific. As I mentioned previously, the Advanced gets a rejig to take flat-mount rather than post-mount calipers; it's a reasonable assumption that the Advanced SL will get the same tweak, and also not implausible the aluminium disc models will also get the revision.

What will be interesting is if the TCR Disc, which had been added to the UCI-Approved list prior to the suspension of the pro disc brake trial, will see the light of day or remain on ice.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 pm

On the whole, i'd just-maybe prefer rim brakes than my cable discs on my advanced 2.
They're absolutely great at the bottom of a long hill, and you can overtake plenty on the brakes, but otherwise - the TPR pads arent great, i had to replace one set, they're noisier, and need cleaning fairly often and add a little weight i think. Lots of old hands ask about them, and sort of nod and say that they're mayeb not worthwhile, though it's a close call.

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Tcr Disc info out today

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Yep, snuck a few more out today, including TCR Advanced Disc. Being a racing-oriented series, and the question mark still hanging over discs in competition, most models remain rim brakes, but at least the disc option is there.

Also the aluminium Defy range has been rejigged & scored a new name - Contend. As with the old Defy range, the entry models keep rim brakes, the better ones gain discs and a different grade alloy (6013 Aluxx SL), bringing a SL suffix, over the standard 6061 Aluxx alloy. The Defy name continues on the carbon models.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 pm

Seems they do have a disc option over the entire TCR range, Advanced, Advanced pro and Advanced SL. Be interesting to see which varients if any will be released into AU.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:24 am

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/gi ... first-look

The disc bikes (all?) get through axles, and a price hike.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:53 pm

stevenaaus wrote:The disc bikes (all?) get through axles, and a price hike.
Not all. I built up a Contend SL Disc (aluminium Defy successor) this morning, still quick release at that level. My understanding is it's all the carbon ones that get through-axles.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:27 pm

No new "early release" models this week, but popping through the global cycling media last night is the first on Giant's new-for-'17 MTB frames. Both the Trance and Anthem dual suspension bikes get revised suspension geometry, which utilises a "trunnion mount" for the upper shock; the rocker arm is bolted to the sides of the shock body rather than through a conventional upper eye. This enables lower mounting of the upper rocker, which lowers the centre of gravity, gives a bit more seat tube length which is handy for shorter riders who need to get the seatpost lower, especially with dropper posts, and also tweaks the suspension leverage, which is claimed to improve its efficiency under pedalling loads. The rear ends of both are shortened slightly as well, to sharpen the response. Axle spacing as far as I can tell at this stage remains 135/142mm convertible rear/100mm front on the Anthem, while the Trance gets the 148mm rear/110mm front Boost treatment. The Trance remains at 140mm R/150mm F travel, while the Anthem grows to 110mm R/120mm F, and 130mm F for the SX variant. Both get longer top tubes & slacker head tubes, and as before will be available in both aluminium and carbon frames. The Anthem 29er has been retired, so there is no 29" dual suspension model now.

The XTC is where the funky stuff happens. The new frame is cleverly designed with sliding dropouts to allow the fitting of regular 29" or "semi-fat" 27.5+ wheels, and[/] the option of single-speed. The XTC, as with last year, is carbon only.

All new, and filling a glaring gap between the Talon series and XTC vacated by the departed alloy XTC, is the aluminium hardtail Fathom series, available in both 27.5" and 29" options. The 27.5 gets a 120mm fork, while the 29" gets 100mm.

No details on specs & pricing yet, that will come out in the launch in a few weeks.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:21 am

I'm in the market for a new roadie and the TCR Advanced Pro Disc ticks a lot of boxes for me. Is there any indication of what the AU price of this will be and when it'll be available to buy?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:54 pm

The official launch is at the end of next week, so pricing & availability will be announced then. At present there is only one model available in the lower Advanced (typically only the fork and wheels differ between Advanced and Advanced Pro) series; details on the Pro and SL models (if we get them) will come at the launch.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Duck! wrote:The official launch is at the end of next week, so pricing & availability will be announced then. At present there is only one model available in the lower Advanced (typically only the fork and wheels differ between Advanced and Advanced Pro) series; details on the Pro and SL models (if we get them) will come at the launch.
Nice, thanks! I'll keep an eye out next week and see what is announced.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:06 pm

It's nice to finally see a disc version of the TCR.
Been wanting to find an excuse to upgrade from my 2013 TCR Advanced for ages.
Will need to research on the SRAM eTap as it replaced the DA Di2.
After seeing the eTap on GCN, it didn't interest me as much as the new DA.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:34 pm

E-Tap's claim to superiority is that it's wireless, however system tweakability is pretty well non-existent. Di2 is a much more versatile system in its ability to be customised to the individual rider's preference.

Details will emerge from the launch this weekend, but I'm suspecting & hoping the e-Tap versions will run alongside Di2 rather than replace them. Due to the timing of release of the new Dura-Ace groupset, any such models won't be available right away, but will trickle in a bit later in the year.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:41 pm

Due to the timing of release of the new Dura-Ace, there are no D-A models, either mechanical or Di2 in the initial release of 2017 models. There may be some mid-season releases when R9100 becomes available. SRAM Red e-Tap sits prominently as the top spec in virtually all road models, although there are no bikes fitted with any SRAM mechanical groupsets.

VinceGU05

Postby VinceGU05 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:45 pm

was looking at the Trance advance 1 L . Love the colors but suddenly sold out. glad to hear the 2017 model is a marked improvement, bonus there but still prefer the 2016 colors. oh well beggars cant be choosers.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:42 pm

The Defy Ad2 and The TCR Ad1 disc are the same list price, but the TCR has Ultegra railers and crankset instead of 105. The only feature the Defy has that TCR does not is the DFuse seat post, is it ?. Proably the TCR post is stiffer i guess.

Changes for the Defy Ad2 are a 105 crankset, and hydraulic brakes and thru axles i think.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-advanced-1-disc
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/defy-advanced-2

li2099

Postby li2099 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:33 pm

stevenaaus wrote:The Defy Ad2 and The TCR Ad1 disc are the same list price, but the TCR has Ultegra railers and crankset instead of 105. The only feature the Defy has that TCR does not is the DFuse seat post, is it ?. Proably the TCR post is stiffer i guess.

Changes for the Defy Ad2 are a 105 crankset, and hydraulic brakes and thru axles i think.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-advanced-1-disc
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/defy-advanced-2
Looks like also a 11-32 cassette on the Defy which also means medium cage RD instead of 11-28 and short cage on the TCR.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:50 pm

While the cassette sizes have grown, it's been standard practice for some years now for the Defy and its OCR predecessor to have a wider/lower gear range than the TCR. Since the Propel was introduced as Giant's super-aggro race series, the TCR has been refocused as more of a climbers' race bike, so has a mid-range gear set now.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:22 pm

li2099 wrote:Looks like also a 11-32 cassette on the Defy which also means medium cage RD instead of 11-28 and short cage on the TCR.
My 2016 Defy Ad already has an 11-32t. Yes, they'e a medium cage.... not as snappy a shift as the short cage, but it goes ok.

Aside - I'm not sure i need the 32 anymore now i'm a bit stronger, but it's nice for social stuff. Went with my brother round the Cooth saturday morning with the big ring just as a relaxing ride at his speed, saving my energy for the sunday ride.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:03 pm

stevenaaus wrote: My 2016 Defy Ad already has an 11-32t. Yes, they'e a medium cage.... not as snappy a shift as the short cage, but it goes ok.
Given the upper body - the bit that actually determines the shift quality - is exactly the same for both types, any difference in shift quality is more to do with the greater jumps between ratios, or it's in your head....

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:45 am

Duck! wrote:
stevenaaus wrote: My 2016 Defy Ad already has an 11-32t. Yes, they'e a medium cage.... not as snappy a shift as the short cage, but it goes ok.
Given the upper body - the bit that actually determines the shift quality - is exactly the same for both types, any difference in shift quality is more to do with the greater jumps between ratios, or it's in your head....
Although I've noticed a bent hanger has a larger effect on a longer cage.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Ok so got someone buying my 2013 TCR so that means I'll be looking at a new Defy disc version.
Been reading through but can't find a clear answer.
Will quick release version of the Defy from 2015/2016 mean there will be not wheel upgrades for me later on as the new 2017 Defys have thru-axles now?
I've been looking at run out sales of the 2015/2016 Defy Advanced SL1 as they are now about 20% off.
If I pick up the current 2017 models with thru-axles, I'm looking at $1k-$2k more. (Price hike plus no discount)
What I'm concerned is wheel compatibility later on down the track as most of us will definitely want to upgrade that later on.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm

There will still be Q/R disc brake wheels available for some time.