Carbon tubed road bikes.

Humphrey1957

Carbon tubed road bikes.

Postby Humphrey1957 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 pm

This is a great Site.

I have been riding a ten speed roadie that I picked up on the side of the road for about six months now

It had drop bars which felt really uncomfortable after not riding a road bike for nearly 40 years.

I swapped them out for some flat bars which are wider and a lot more comfortable.
I do about 15 K ride from home to WoyWoy and return along a cycle-way.

I have dropped 20kg since Christmas and dropped my daily insulin intake by 60%.

I have been looking to upgrade my ride and spotted a blue road bike in a garage clean out on Gumtree .

I have heard some horror stories about Giant road bikes with carbon frame tubes.

Do I use the frame or put the groupset on my 531 Bundy frame.

I have searched this forum but cant find a search function.

Cheers Phil

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Carbon tubed road bikes.

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi, As a member with your first active post, the search function will now magically appear! Also you can also use google with a search term like this:

site:bicycles.net.au +Giant

This gives you search results, just from BNA.

Giant Carbon Fiber wont be any different to other brands, they are the worlds largest bike brand so are interested in avoiding recalls, but like any product they can fail from manufacturing defects, engineering defects, extreme use, misuse or fatigue.

Generally pretty good however for a second hand bike, if you know that the frame size is right - then inspect it closely. Look for cracks or hairline fractures - particularly on the tubing coming out of the headset and bottom bracket.

It will always be easy to have an equipped bike rather than transferring components - compatibility will always be an issue and you have the work effort (but for many enthusiasts, this is an enjoyable part of the bike experience).

If you have a photo of the bike, people here may be able to identify the model / year / groupset and make a suggestion on a reasonable price to pay for this second-hand.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:05 am

I am going to have a look at it.

It has been on Gumtree for 13 weeks so I am not holding much hope of it being any good.

Maybe just a parts bike.

Ill post some pics when I get home again.Thanks for the post about searches.

I found it after I made my post. I thought I was losing it, Hahaha
Eat less. Move more and keep breathing.

Humphrey1957

Postby Humphrey1957 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Do I need a minimum posts before I can post pics?
Eat less. Move more and keep breathing.