BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Typhoon Ken

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby Typhoon Ken » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:44 am

Mine arrived during the week. I am an identical size as Grgic (above) but I ordered and received an XL. Like others it has the size on the tag and a US size as well, in this case XL / L (US). It would be a race fit US L as it it snug but not too snug if that makes sense.

I rode with it on Sunday morning here in Sydney and as it was a little cool I had a Gilet on riding out but after warming up I was out and proud. It fits well around the arms and waist and is long enough in the torso to stay put whilst riding on the drops even. Due to the venting down the sides I think it will be a great warm weather jersey.

Overall I like it and if I ask myself would I purchase another jersey from Monton at their full retail price (still cheap) I would say the answer is yes.

stevel6868

Postby stevel6868 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:42 pm

Received mine in Perth today. I endorse what the others have said - it looks good, feels good, is well made but carefully check the sizing. I ordered XL and probably should have gone 2XL. That being said, it's great value and I would recommend it even at the full price. And I'll see how it stretches and/or I shrink over the next week or two :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Apparently just arrived at home- now cannot wait to get hometime to shout Lleyton Hewitt style at the clock "C'MON"

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Steve6868, not sure if much will happen with the size so have updated, if you can get a swap, I would suggest. Grgic, you look like you need to downsize.

This looks like a direct swap. Give it a good wash and then a short spray with some Brut or some Old Spice. Have a chat via PM.

Matched
Grgic has size 2XL wants Size XL
Steve6868 has size XL wants size 2XL

Wanted
Size L - cancan64
Size L - Gunlock

Available
Size M - Cancan64
Size 3XL - Gunlock

Available - $59
Size M
Size M
Size M
Size XL
Cycling is in my BNA

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:30 pm

If anyone who missed out is looking for a 3XL i'd be willing to send mine off to you and pickup either an M or an XL depending on size from whats left at the $59 price point.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:34 pm

i have yet to check my PO Box,
its a XXL if its to big, happy to do swap in perth
for XL
will update once i have it
John
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks a lot Christopher!

Height (cm): 174cm

Weight (kg): 71kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): Small waist

Jersey Size Ordered: XL

Comments on the fit (length, cut, arms, shoulders, etc): Unfortunately a bit too large for me around the torso and it's quite baggy. I ordered according to the size chart (http://www.bicycles.net.au/wp-content/u ... n_size.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), looking back I think a Medium would've been great. I'm happy to swap my XL for a M or pass this onto someone for the same price in Perth or happy to post it as well! Just send me a PM!

Thanks again Chris, love the stickers and the handwritten note too!

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Got home to my jersey tonight, good old post to WA

Height (cm): 182cm

Weight (kg): 70kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): generally skinny

Jersey Size Ordered: L

Comments on the fit (length, cut, arms, shoulders, etc):

I went against my instincts and went for a large according to the sizing chart, the jersey is very slightly larger than my usual, but I do like a close cut and have be caught with jerseys too small in the past.
Fit is similar to my normal fit large castelli, perhaps should have gone for a medium, but it is not to loose on the arms, is a good length in the body and a great fit at the waist. A little baggy across the chest.

Not worn in anger yet, waiting for a day when the morning temp is closer to 10 and I'll wear with a long sleeve base layer. If anyone is desperate for a large I will swap for a medium, but I'm not unhappy to stick, in its current form I will wear it.

Quality seems decent at first glance, will report after a couple of wears, but it feels nice

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Wanted
Size L - cancan64
Size L - Gunlock
Size M - shutuplegs

Available
Size M - Cancan64 (send to shutuplegs?)
Size 3XL - Gunlock
Size XL - shutuplegs

Available - $59
Size M
Size M
Size M
Size XL
Cycling is in my BNA

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm happy to swap my large with cancan64's medium

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Tried it on last night:

Height (cm): 175cm

Weight (kg): 67kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): cyclists upper body- non existant

I went against my instincts and went for a large according to the sizing chart was between a Medium/Large, the jersey is very slightly larger than my usual, and I do prefer a close cut.
Fit appears okay- but is a bit large around the chest, the waist is not too loose and the arms are a bit loose, is a good length in the body and an okay fit at the waist.

I am another who would like to try a medium but would be happy with the large. Hence I would like to put my name up for a medium.

Quality appears good- feels comfy, zipper feels similar to my Castellis etc.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:00 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Wanted
Size L - cancan64
Size L - Gunlock

Available
Size M - Cancan64
Size 3XL - Gunlock

Available - $59
Size M
Size M
Size M
Size XL
Swapped with Robinho for his Lge
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Updated, thanks for this.

Wanted
Size L - Gunlock
Size M - shutuplegs

Available
Size 3XL - Gunlock
Size XL - shutuplegs

Available - $59
Size M
Size M
Size M
Size XL
Cycling is in my BNA

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Height (cm): 164cm
Weight (kg): 61kg
Other build descriptors: normal bust, bit of a belly depending on what I ate for lunch
Jersey size ordered: Small

Comments on fit: Ordering, I knew that the jersey may come up larger as I'm usually an XS on others manufaturer. I still give it a go since I want to know the quality of the fabric they use. The jersey is a bit lose and longish by a cm or 2 from ideal. If they have a XS size, I think that would fit me better. I prefer close cut and a longer arm length as this is short for my taste. I'm happy to wear it on its current form

As for the fabric, compared to the china made kits I had used before, this certainly is much better. This would make a nice summer kit due to the vents on the side. For the price I got it, it is a bargain. For the full price, it's reasonable as the quality seems better than those used by Cell or on par with the DHB brand of Wiggle. Now i have to find a way to get a sample of their bibshorts so I can gauge if they can be an option when our social group does source out a new supplier to make our kits.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Height (cm): 183cm

Weight (kg): 83kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): drank too much beer over summer, autumn and have a few extra kgs round waist (normally 78 to 80kg)

Wanted race fit, got race fit. Close to my Castelli race cut Large, except a couple centimetres longer on the front (good thing). A touch smaller than a regular cut Assos M (but that could be through use) big difference Assos in 2cm+ longer front and back.

It looks the part, cut, fit, design, material, should put it through the test (race) this weekend.

Only downside found the zip to be small fiddly, making it difficult to join.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Walastik wrote: Now i have to find a way to get a sample of their bibshorts so I can gauge if they can be an option when our social group does source out a new supplier to make our kits.
I was thinking the same thing. Their combos are quite good value, but I'd love to try on the bibs before I ordered. Nothing worse than a saggy crotch, or strap marks on your shoulders.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:21 pm

Updated, thanks for this.

Wanted
Size M - shutuplegs

Available
Size 3XL - Gunlock

Available - $59
Size M
Size M
Size M
Size XL

I've just grabbed shutuplegs' XL, so i'm now sorted.

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:51 am

Confirmed Gunlock, thanks mate.

queequeg

Initial Thoughts

Postby queequeg » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:19 pm

Height (cm): 185cm

Weight (kg): 83kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): Long Arms and Legs, broad shoulders

Jersey Size Ordered: XL (Initially order an L but changed the size before it was finalised)

I am glad that I went for the XL over the L (after seeing that AUBicycles went up a size, and am roughly the same height & build as him). The fit of the XL is roughly in line with the standard L size that I would wear in other brands.
Firstly, lets look at the Monton Sizing Chart for the XL and see what it says. Suits Height 175cm and 70kg. Ok, that is not even close. This Jersey would look like a painting smock on someone that height and weight.
If I look at the other measurements on the chart and compare them to the actual measurements from the completed Jersey. The first number is what the chart says, the second number is what I measured.

Bust - 104 vs 108
Front Length - 60 vs 59
Back Length - 68 vs 70
Shoulder across + Arm Length - 36 vs ??? (The Diagram shows the measurement as measuring shoulder width + arm length. I have no idea what 36 refers to on their chart as it can't possibly be cm like all the other measurements. If it is 36 inches, that would be 89cm, in which case I got 83cm)
Waist - 84 vs 86

So, essentially the Jersey is shorter on the front but longer on the back than stated, and the bust is much roomier. I really liked the extra length at the back, but the fit across the bust is a bit loose for a race cut jersey, and more in line with a relaxed fit/club cut. If it had been cut as per the size chart it would be pretty close.

Just out of interest, I took two of my existing Jerseys (BNA Cuore Large and CS Razor Lite Large Race Cut) and measured the same things as per the Monton Chart. This is to provide a comparison only, and in no way reflects on the Monton Sizing Chart, but it might be helpful.

Bust - BNA Cuore = 100, CS Razor Lite = 101
Front - BNA Cuore = 61, CS Razor Lite = 54
Back - BNA Cuore = 75, CS Razor Lite = 70
Shoulder + Arms - BNA Cuore = 77.5, CS Razor Lite = 82
Waist - BNA Cuore = 88, CS Razor Lite = 86

From those comparisons you can see that the Monton Jersey most closely matches the CS Razor Lite Jersey, with the big exception being the huge bust measurement. So a CS Razor Lite Race Cut Large is pretty close to a Monton XL, with the Monton having the extra front length, but the CS Razor Lite having the closer fit around the bust.

Initial thoughts on wearing the Jersey (around the house) are that it is a pretty good fit. The material feels nice, but the rear pockets seem a bit smaller than I am used to. I will putting the Jersey to the test on my daily commute, but with the cold weather it will be with a base layer. I am hoping we get a warm day soon so that I can give it a decent run to evaluate the mesh sides, and general comfort without wearing either a base layer or a vest.

I'll get a full review done once the jersey has had a run in the wild.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

mbrost

Postby mbrost » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Wore the Jersey for the first time today. Sizing was spot on for me (L). It is a slim cut and will be fantastic for the summer. Had on warm base layer, sleeveless compression and a light vest, it is winter in Tassie after all. Jersey looks great with the BNA shorts. Thanks Christoper for organising this. It is a absolute steal at $29.

ImageImage

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Waiting on my desk when I got home[emoji41]

I'm 177cm and about 84 kgs. Longish torso, decent shoulders. More belly than there should be :oops:
After checking the chart I rather tentatively went with the XXL.
Fit first. It's a good snug fit atm, I'm hoping it'll be a little looser by the time it can be worn solo.
Construction wise, not a bad thing at all to say
about this jersey, everything looked and felt good. Excellent stitching and the fabric looks to be quality.
I'll be back when there's more to say...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:15 pm

It's ok, you can breathe out now [emoji106] :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Phebe Monton

Postby Phebe Monton » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Hello, this is Phebe from Monton.

First, we would like to give our thanks to Christopher who have made great effort in organizing and combine this event with charity. He have made it meaningful for us.

Second, it is great to see the selfies and feedback. We have read every piece of the message carefully to improve our service. Thank you for the time in writing feedback.

With your help, we would be better.

Thank you.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:17 am

ImageImage

A little bit to tight for comfortable viewing
First fit impressions is my double XL is cut smaller than my XL air race fox Jersey
No tightness on the stitching and a good zip, hopefully it gets easier to get on than fully unzipped
The arms may get tight if I bulk up at the gym anymore
Looking like a wet weekend, so ride impressions may have to wait.
Wild love to try an xxxl to see the difference
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:32 am

Jack, I've got a 3XL spare if you want it?