New Forum Design

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Forum Design

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:16 am

Welcome to the new look Australian Cycling Forums.

A clearer, easier to read and modern layout means we now depart from a dated forum design. The design is also individual and is responsive. This means it suits mobile devices and tapatalk is no longer required - a real bonus as tapatalk become progressively poorer.

While the new design is a big change, in the background there is still more work to do so there will be some planned outages - so no parties yet.

If you like what you see, let me know. The new design means you may need to re-orientate the moderators and myself (admin) also have to learn where everything is. If you can't find something - please have a look first.

Bugs? If you do spot any bugs or issues, let me know.

RECOMMENDATION - Clear your browser cookies and cache for bicycles.net.au!

Christopher / AuBicycles / Admin
Cycling is in my BNA

QuangVuong

Re: New Forum Design

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:42 am

Bit of a display error on my iPad Mini and iPhone 5 using the Safari browser. The BB code quick links aren't showing up fully/clearly.

Mobile display via the site is a nice alternative to Tapatalk. But it will need some getting used to.

Is it possible to get a larger PM inbox limit? Say 100, rather than the current 50.
Last edited by QuangVuong on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:50 am

Minor panic attack. The Subscribe Topic button is gone, The Subscribe Topic button is gone!
Oh don't panic, never mind, it's there in the spanner menu at both the top and bottom of the page.

diventare

Postby diventare » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:52 am

Thanks for updating, looks clean and fresh. Some reorientation but doesn't seem too difficult (once I found "new posts").
Not sure the mid blue of the heading text is the best colour for readability. Seems a little hard to focus on.
The white space between threads listed after searching is more than I prefer. I like to see lots on a page to reduce scrolling. A personal thing though and I'm sure others will love it so I can live with it.
Seems to time out and request credentials fairly often compared to prior.
Otherwise appreciate the care and upkeep, well done.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:56 am

Looks great on my Galaxy, top job boss!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:33 am

Is there a way to upload photos from a mobile device while viewing via a browser?

This seems to be one of the big advantages tapatalk has

There is a lot of white space viewing on my 6S. Makes it look clean but means a lot of scrolling to find things
NOT sent from tapatalk

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:50 am

Looks good to me Christopher. I tend to browse via unread posts,

Code: Select all

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/search.php?search_id=unreadposts#
I found that clicking on forum tools gives me an option to mark all posts as read, but it doesn't seem to work on the above page

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:17 am

Can I take it that the user control panel is still coming, or is it that I just can't find it?

The light blue text is pretty, but as others have said, it's harder to read. I preferred the old darker background, especially for night viewing. Too much bright light at night can affect sleep patterns.
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:18 am

Will look into uploading after the rest of the server changes are completed.

Thanks for feedback on colours and display - will look at a title colour adjustment (slightly darker). I will also send Apple my new specs for redesigning ipads!

Keep the feedback coming.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:26 am

AUbicycles wrote:Thanks for feedback on colours and display - will look at a title colour adjustment (slightly darker). I will also send Apple my new specs for redesigning ipads
No need - the latest iOS has a control to adjust the night time colour temperature.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 am

diventare wrote:once I found "new posts").
What sorcery is this? Where does one find this new posts button. Also where is view your posts? Edit - nvm, it drops down now!

+1 appreciate the effort you guys put in though to keep this forum turning over.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 am

Oh dear god! :o It hurts they eyes!

(Or maybe I'm just too old now and don't like change! :D )

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Looks nice and clean. The white background is a bit glary.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:47 am

I find it too much scrolling. Everything is spaced out massively.... (Using a computer)

I suppose for tablets it probably is an improvement.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:56 am

Looks OK but...

It is missing an image in the banner: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums5/imag ... -forum.png. Your 404 errors seem to redirect to the bicycles.net.au home page.

Google Chrome is reporting a javascript error on every page:

custom.js:46 Uncaught TypeError: $(...).on is not a function

It looks like a JQuery issue to me.

And I can't for the life of me find the New Posts link. I click on Forum Tools and nothing happens - it just wants to load the same page I am already on. I suspect from the comments above there is a javascript pop up when you mouse over somewhere but it is not working because of the JQuery error that is occurring on page load.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:58 am

On a computer screen - I'm not a fan. I have about 10cm / 4" of wasted space on both sides of the screen with nothing in it rather than being full screen
Dave

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:19 am

Forum Tools pop-up appears to be working now, may have been a cache issue. Still got the missing image under the banner though and Chrome is still reporting Javascript errors.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:30 am

Dave_C wrote:On a computer screen - I'm not a fan. I have about 10cm / 4" of wasted space on both sides of the screen with nothing in it rather than being full screen
Agreed, that does seem a bit wasteful.

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:41 am

Calvin27 wrote:
What sorcery is this? Where does one find this new posts button. Also where is view your posts? Edit - nvm, it drops down now!

+1 appreciate the effort you guys put in though to keep this forum turning over.
Where exactly does it drop down from?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:56 am

AUbicycles wrote:A clearer, easier to read and modern layout means we now depart from a dated forum design. The design is also individual and is responsive.

Like most "modern" designs this one sucks big time. In particular, it sucks way too much screen real estate.

The top half of my screen is full of cruft and every single feature uses more screen area than before. I've had to scroll down to type this response. Doubleplusungood.

I like the colours better but that should be a CSS-only change, anyway.
AUbicycles wrote:This means it suits mobile devices and tapatalk is no longer required - a real bonus as tapatalk become progressively poorer.
I hope so. I'll check. The forums worked OK on Opera Mobile but there was room for improvement.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 am

darkhorse75 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:

Where exactly does it drop down from?
On the home page index.php.

Click on forum tools, & I get choices of "my posts", "new posts" "unread posts" etc, It seems to be a little different on other pages, but you get the idea

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:17 am

Oh, and we seem to have lost a number of postings from around 15:00 UTC last night. (Not that I added anything that can't be lived without :-))
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:32 am

Is it no longer supported by tapatalk?
NOT sent from tapatalk

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:35 am

Yeah think I can live with it after having logging in and having a quick play. Only question is what time is it using (Syd/Mel/Bris time I guess but looks like its still Daylight savings?). Does that get adjusted in other states like WA or is it just one timestamp for all posts. Also I just need to get use to the term New Posts instead of Timeline (its the same thing isn't it?)

My main issue that's already been raised a while back is the photo upload function. Using Dropbox and those sorts of Apps isn't really user friendly. Only gripe on whats been a pretty big task I bet. You have managed it better than what Telstra has done lately :-)

Edit: Signatures could be reduced in size more I reckon. I know its got that function in the profile settings but if you select tiny or small font it eats into your 124 character size limit.

Edit#2: Oh just found I can't see the Last Post field on the mobile under New Posts. Its there on the PC but not the mobile (Galaxy S4 mini).
Last edited by rodneycc on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:40 am

Same whinge I had at my IT when forced to migrate to Outlook 2013 - i find it very difficult to tell the difference between read and unread posts or threads at a glance and that significantly detracts from the user experience. Is there a way to change the display/skin to look more like the old forum?