Instagram - BBcode

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Instagram - BBcode

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 am

Test Instagram BBcode

Original - copied from URL (at the top and not embed)

Code: Select all

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFbuOA8AX1Q/?taken-by=bicycletimes&hl=en
Identifier (taken from URL)

BFbuOA8AX1Q
Wrapped in tag

[insta]BFbuOA8AX1Q[/insta]
How it looks:
Cycling is in my BNA

ianganderton

Re: Instagram - BBcode

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 am

It's not a bad solution for mobile users but not as simple as the imagr mobile web upload and then copy the bbcode

To post the above picture I selected an Instagram pic, selected share then copy link

Pasted the link into a note so I could grab the identifier. Copy and pasted it into the full editor. Selected it again then scrolled up (more awkward than it sounds) and tapped the insta button (identifiable only by the very tops of the letters!)
NOT sent from tapatalk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Is there a BBcode option in instagram? I looked into and only saw embed - but if there are other ways I can see if it can be simplified.
Cycling is in my BNA

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 16, 2016 2:00 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Is there a BBcode option in instagram? I looked into and only saw embed - but if there are other ways I can see if it can be simplified.
Not that I can see in the iPhone app

I've just used the imgur mobile site (not app) to post this image and it really is pretty painless

Obtain image (save to phone is very easy and it can be deleted afterwards as it will be on the imgur site anyway), open imgur image upload webpage (I have the link saved as an icon on my home screen next to the one for this site) upload image, select bbcode option, then select and copy link, paste in reply. Done. Nowhere does it go against the grain of the mobile/touchscreen UI
NOT sent from tapatalk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 16, 2016 2:33 pm

What does the image URL look like?

The reason for asking is that if it has a .jpg or .png at the end - it could work with the regular [IMG] tags. Some without the file extension work anyway. For desktop it is a different story as instagram hides the image location.
Cycling is in my BNA

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 16, 2016 3:37 pm

AUbicycles wrote:What does the image URL look like?

The reason for asking is that if it has a .jpg or .png at the end - it could work with the regular [IMG] tags. Some without the file extension work anyway. For desktop it is a different story as instagram hides the image location.
When I select the copy link option this is what I paste https://instagram.com/p/ZdPx8qCCC9/

It's a link to the page not the image
NOT sent from tapatalk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 16, 2016 4:41 pm

That the format I am working with for the BBcode - I am looking to improve / fix the BBcode buttons so hopefully will make it a bit easier.
Cycling is in my BNA

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 16, 2016 4:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:That the format I am working with for the BBcode - I am looking to improve / fix the BBcode buttons so hopefully will make it a bit easier.
The problem with the buttons and smilies is they are almost inaccesible on my mobile device. You will be able to see in the attached screenshot that the screen is full with he text box and keyboard. Scrolling up is difficult because unless you manage to "grab" that very thin area between the 2 the text just scrolls in the box. It also unselects the selected text

NOT sent from tapatalk

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon May 16, 2016 7:11 pm

1. Instagram "copy share url"
2. BNA Post Reply.
3. Paste.
4. Backspace front end, and rear slash.
5. Hold touch to select remaining identifier text.
6. insta button from bbcode links above edit box.
7. Submit.
8. Winning, thanks BNA!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon May 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Ian, when your keyboard is up, you can still scroll the visible page to get BBcode button or smilies.
Edit: I am using mobile browser not tapatalk or others.

Once you are fluent with the tags or codes if you prefer keyboard manual entry you can use quick reply without the full editor. You can still go to "full editor and preview" for them also once you've drafted a post in quick reply.
Last edited by eldavo on Mon May 16, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Go oldskool manual coding!

I will have a look, I remember getting frustrated with tapatalk and the viewable space.
Cycling is in my BNA

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon May 16, 2016 9:12 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Go oldskool manual coding!

I will have a look, I remember getting frustrated with tapatalk and the viewable space.
The [ ] are 2 keyboards away from the main one so its very clunky to do.

The imgur solution is pretty unclunky so I don't need to fight crappier solutions now
NOT sent from tapatalk

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon May 16, 2016 10:17 pm

Sorry I think I get it now. You're just looking for generic photo hosting? Not actually utilising an existing workflow of sharing cycling related material to instagram, that you can on-share to BNA?

I came from using Photobucket and forums for years via desktop. I only went to instagram late in their fame when wider aspect was available, for the quick ride photo and edit workflow on location to share to FB at the same time as my own photo journal timeline. It's turned out a nice way to discover nice bicycles and frame builders internationally.

As for the square brackets, they're one tap keyboard shift for my LG G4 with Android 6. This reply time typing on desktop probably still took an equivalent lifetime of data entry time for quick mobile tags square brackets tapping back and forth. I've been doing it for years with

Image [img]and URL [url]tags[/img][/url][quote="quoting code"]it's just a little bit of 01100110 01110101 01101110 [/quote]

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Tue May 17, 2016 7:09 am

Yeah. It's interesting. Most of the images I share on here are directly related to the matter at hand and mostly generated specifically for the post. It might be a screen shot as used in his post (eg of a google map location or route) or a picture of bike part. The kind of images that I wouldn't want cluttering up something like my Flickr account (I don't use Instagram)

Apart from there is no way of optimising/resizing of the images imgur is working exactly as needed now. It's not as intuitive as the fantastic in app direct to post photo management of tapatalk by a long way but it's ok
NOT sent from tapatalk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 17, 2016 10:28 am

imgur and google+ are other image hosting options - I have just updated the general image upload instructions.
Cycling is in my BNA

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Wed May 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Just testing to see what happens with Instagram video
NOT sent from tapatalk

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Wed May 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Shame. Just posts the first frame

https://instagram.com/p/BFiZb-TCCLU/
NOT sent from tapatalk