COMPLETE - Forum Tools and Search and others

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

COMPLETE - Forum Tools and Search and others

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:11 pm

UPDATE - Indexing of the search engine is complete - this means that other functions 'should' now be reinstated such as forum tools but please respond if there are still missing parts.

-- original --

As I am still getting a few emails and PM's, I am highlighting that currently the Search feature is disabled. The reason is that it is currently indexing the site and this has been going for days and already tallies 1.7 million records.

This means we need a bit of patience until this is complete and then can be activated again.
This is connected to the missing Forum Tools - which will be reinstated once the Search indexing is complete.

I also received a report about difficulties for new members signing up. This should be resolved - but please use the contact option below if you are having issues - particularly SQL errors with 'default' errors. Please copy the complete error message so I can track and solve.

As a background - when moving to the new host a lot of database information was not carried over so I have to manually reconstruct this.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

daft1024

Re: ISSUES - Forum Tools and Search and others?

Postby daft1024 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:00 am

I'm a huge fan of the search and missed it. I've been just limiting google to bicycles.net.au while waiting for it come back. You can limit the search like this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Abicycles.net.au+bb7+pads

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:49 am

site:bicycles.net.au +searchterm

or

site:bicycles.net.au +searchterm1 +searchterm2
Cycling is in my BNA

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:20 pm

AUbicycles wrote:site:bicycles.net.au +searchterm

or

site:bicycles.net.au +searchterm1 +searchterm2
Is there something that would work for unread or new posts?
NOT sent from tapatalk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:42 pm

only patience... up to 1.9 million indexed items in the searched index and still counting.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:21 pm

I did a google search for user:find_bruce +patience but it came up 404

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:12 am

Conversely "user:find_bruce +nerd humour" came up with hundreds of hits :D
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:35 pm

I did a google search for myself, in the hope of finding the threads I have recently participated in and it threw up a 2009 thread about a major accident I had :(
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:46 am

AUbicycles wrote:This means we need a bit of patience until this is complete and then can be activated again.
Good on you Christopher. Big job.

Worth every bit of effort for this terrific forum.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Is the index search still running? Hasn't timed out or hung after this period of time?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:18 pm

It appears not, we must all post too many times!

Your efforts are appreciated Chris, this is a great forum.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: COMPLETE - Forum Tools and Search and others

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:12 am

As noted - the indexing is complete and the search function has been returned which also 'should' mean that the other Forum Tools and similar functionality (member posts) returns.

If you are missing anything, please let me know. One thing to note - with the change to the new host and a database format, a different search function has been implemented and I would be curious to know if you spot any differences. I am not expecting differences however it may potentially work slightly differently.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:19 am

Great news - I'll keep an eye out for any differences. Many thanks.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:37 pm

AUbicycles wrote:As noted - the indexing is complete and the search function has been returned which also 'should' mean that the other Forum Tools and similar functionality (member posts) returns.

If you are missing anything, please let me know. One thing to note - with the change to the new host and a database format, a different search function has been implemented and I would be curious to know if you spot any differences. I am not expecting differences however it may potentially work slightly differently.

Cheers
Christopher
All good here now,
Appreciate your work.

(now back up that mysql database :-) )

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Woohoo, New Posts is back.

Thanks for all the effort.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:51 am

AUbicycles wrote:As noted - the indexing is complete and the search function has been returned which also 'should' mean that the other Forum Tools and similar functionality (member posts) returns.

Cheers
Christopher
Search is not working very well. I tried searching for the threads on Massdrop or water filtering or my posts about the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer in the touring gear forum and the threads are not found even using the advanced search.

Also I've noticed previous keywords are not cleared from the search query unless I exit the current page.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:25 pm

RonK wrote:

Cheers
Christopher
Search is not working very well. I tried searching for the threads on Massdrop or water filtering or my posts about the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer in the touring gear forum and the threads are not found even using the advanced search.

Also I've noticed previous keywords are not cleared from the search query unless I exit the current page.
Yes the search function is quite poor. I too failed to find what should be an obvious keyword.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 pm

I tested massdrop and got a healthy page of results. To understand, it would be good to get a a detailed documentation so that I can understand and look if there are options to improve.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I tested massdrop and got a healthy page of results. To understand, it would be good to get a a detailed documentation so that I can understand and look if there are options to improve.

Cheers
Christopher
I suspect the keyword Massdrop is found now because I have edited the word today.

If you search for something else - my Van Nicholas or Sabbath bikes, my Kovea Spider Stove - stuff that hasn't been posted recently and there are no results.Try it.

Also as mentioned previously, if I search a subforum, enter a keyword and search, then enter another keyword and search, the query searches for both keywords. There is no way to clear the first keyword other than to exit the page altogether and then return.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Ronk, perhaps the Search is learning as all of those searches are giving me results.

For the second - it is a refine search option. I am not sure if it worked differently on the previous forum but will have to put this on the backburner for now.
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:24 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Hi Ronk, perhaps the Search is learning as all of those searches are giving me results.

For the second - it is a refine search option. I am not sure if it worked differently on the previous forum but will have to put this on the backburner for now.
Yes - they work now that I have included them in a post.

You need to pick an obscure but distinct word known to be in the forums and try it.

For example, in a post about a bike build I listed this part. But search cannot find it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks - the search index has millions of search indexes so it could be a matter of time to capture these ones as well. They are obviously triggered after a search - I will keep this on mind - may not be able to alter the search function but will try and find out more - perhaps in time it resolves itself.
Cycling is in my BNA

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:43 pm

I can't find search at all on the mobile site, where should I be looking?

Cheers,

Tony

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:38 pm

^^ On mobile, when you open any threads you are looking. There`s a search bar just below the New Topic as marked in red.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...