Server Hiccups - Thursday 8 February

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server Hiccups - Thursday 8 February

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:16 am

Very unusual and instable server behaviour.

After 4 hours I still have not got to the bottom of it. Members will notice that they need to log in again - this is on purpose.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Server Hiccups - Thursday 8 February

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 am

I am convinced that this was an Amazon AWS Sydney issue - suddenly back to normal now - unexpected and except for long latency and errors in the leadup, there are no other indications of errors on this end.

For now - am assuming that it is back up but feel free to report issues. For more techy members who use the browser explorer - you may notice some 503 loading errors with certain assets and report of a slow server which is not the case, but an indicator that some weird stuff is happening at AWS (host).
Cycling is in my BNA

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Site was completely unresponsive (unable to handle request was the error message from memory) for me earlier this morning. Cant remember the exact time sorry.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:20 am

I am still getting the above error ... except on this thread funny enough
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

tabb

Postby tabb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 am

Getting this intermittently again this morning...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Thank you - I am still seeing a lot of problems but having trouble understanding why.
Cycling is in my BNA

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:29 pm

I`ve had this same problem as shown in pic by " tabb " 10 mins ago before I tried to refresh the browser and it got back to normal.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Ok... I had to dive much deeper down and take a much close look at when the errors started appears and what caused it.

In short... we were hit by an extremely nasty bot that sucks the entire website as fast as it can. There are two effects. Firstly blocks access because it floods the server with requests and the website starts to struggle under the load. This however lasts for as long as the nasty bot is active.... but has a second side-effect of 'draining' all of my hosting credit which is based on usage. This means when there is no more credit, it then has a persisting effect of stopping access for everyone else and during this time it struggles to replenish.

From my end... many hours spent, I have hard-blocks and hope that we can move back into stability.

Thanks for your patience!

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:20 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Ok... I had to dive much deeper down and take a much close look at when the errors started appears and what caused it.

In short... we were hit by an extremely nasty bot that sucks the entire website as fast as it can. There are two effects. Firstly blocks access because it floods the server with requests and the website starts to struggle under the load. This however lasts for as long as the nasty bot is active.... but has a second side-effect of 'draining' all of my hosting credit which is based on usage. This means when there is no more credit, it then has a persisting effect of stopping access for everyone else and during this time it struggles to replenish.

From my end... many hours spent, I have hard-blocks and hope that we can move back into stability.

Thanks for your patience!

Christopher
Yep IP range blocks should be in effect. Seems like for whatever reason some person has been DDOSing the site. You should take this up with your hosting provider about paying any costs involved in this as you clearly weren't at fault.

tabb

Postby tabb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 pm

There are some lovely degenerates out there.

...probably someone from the "cyclists ride single file/require registration" campaign :shock:
Last edited by tabb on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 am

Kronos wrote: You should take this up with your hosting provider about paying any costs involved in this as you clearly weren't at fault.
This won't have much affect- with the type of hosting I am on - essentially complete management goes to me. It is a bit like spam - nobody decent likes it, but it costs so much bandwidth and it is just bad luck. When you get that much spam, you make changes to filter it but no one can really give back your time or energy... that the thing about technology sometimes.
Cycling is in my BNA