caneye

Re: Tragic News: Cycling advocate and forum member killed

Postby caneye » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:09 pm

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:25 pm

caneye wrote:Getting well deserved air time

https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the- ... n-s-legacy
Interesting last comments in this story. Considering the little information out there about this tragic incident.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:46 pm

chriso_29er wrote:
caneye wrote:Getting well deserved air time

https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the- ... n-s-legacy
Interesting last comments in this story. Considering the little information out there about this tragic incident.
Some information is not in the public domain. Given what I have heard I am gobsmacked the killer is still driving at this time.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Police have charged the driver....drugs :-( Curiously, they are not also charging him with violation of the MPD rule.

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2018/1 ... loundra-4/
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:48 pm

queequeg wrote:Police have charged the driver....drugs :-( Curiously, they are not also charging him with violation of the MPD rule.

Both charges are far more serious than MPDL.

The concern is they go in front of a jury of motorists.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Comedian wrote:
queequeg wrote:Police have charged the driver....drugs :-( Curiously, they are not also charging him with violation of the MPD rule.

Yeah, that’s what I meant...they are putting all their eggs in one basket. If they get a jury of motorists and all they have is one charge, then realistically he can walk away without so much as a demerit point.

The reason I mention it is because it all the close passes that Cameron reported to police, so you’s think they would be all over this one.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Comedian wrote:

He hit Cameron from the left. The damage was on the rightside of the car.

Unfortunately the rule is very restrictive in its wording, Drivers can only get pinged for close passing you if over taking on the right.

I presume this is because passing on the left is illegal for cars, however it leaves open close shaving when cyclists are turning right or drivers are passing in a lane on the left.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:42 am

At least it is some good news.

Let’s hope the sentence reflects the gravity of the offence. Hope driver pleads guilty and doesn’t try and claim some crap excuse

Recently in SA, guy got 2+years for killing a cyclist whilst drunk.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Comedian wrote:

He hit Cameron from the left. The damage was on the rightside of the car.

Unfortunately the rule is very restrictive in its wording, Drivers can only get pinged for close passing you if over taking on the right.

I presume this is because passing on the left is illegal for cars, however it leaves open close shaving when cyclists are turning right or drivers are passing in a lane on the left.
Yes, I can see that the law restricts the passing to the right. That means that cyclists having to use facilities that cross over on/off ramps or slip lanes can have cars racing past at high speed from the left within mm to spare, and be perfectly legal.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Comedian wrote:Both charges are far more serious than MPDL.

Fortunately however they are not usually a jury of drug users. Juries & judges are usually pretty good in relation to seeing the danger of people who are drug or alcohol affected - the difficulty is when the driver was "merely" dangerously incompetent
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:

Fortunately however they are not usually a jury of drug users. Juries & judges are usually pretty good in relation to seeing the danger of people who are drug or alcohol affected - the difficulty is when the driver was "merely" dangerously incompetent
Apparently the drugs (whatever they were) were traces, so it's unclear whether they were enough to impair driving. I'm sure they will be arguing it didn't affect the driving.

But it's really hard to see what the excuse will be.. :roll:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Comedian wrote:
find_bruce wrote:

Apparently the drugs (whatever they were) were traces, so it's unclear whether they were enough to impair driving. I'm sure they will be arguing it didn't affect the driving.

I'm not sure what is worse. Hitting because there were trace amounts of drugs, or hitting him even though he may try to argue that the drugs had no effect...in which case, it just comes down to plain dangerous/incompetent driving?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:53 pm

queequeg wrote:
Comedian wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Fortunately however they are not usually a jury of drug users. Juries & judges are usually pretty good in relation to seeing the danger of people who are drug or alcohol affected - the difficulty is when the driver was "merely" dangerously incompetent

I'm not sure what is worse. Hitting because there were trace amounts of drugs, or hitting him even though he may try to argue that the drugs had no effect...in which case, it just comes down to plain dangerous/incompetent driving?
Given the nature of the collision I think the driver will struggle to get away with the standard "Ooopsie". I'm told he had to swerve across a vacant lane and go onto the road shoulder to hit Cameron.