Tragic News: Cycling advocate and forum member killed

g-boaf

Re: Tragic News: Cycling advocate and forum member killed

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am

queequeg wrote:Ivan over on the DFROC hate page has also posted another rant about Cameron and has truly lost the plot.

The comments from the echo chamber are pretty atrocious. I suggest not reading them if you value your mental health. How Facebook permits this kind of rubbish, while shutting down Cameron’s Facebook pages is something I will never understand.
He has influence and a lot of followers obviously. The more people who just ignore facebook, the sooner it will go away - like those other forms of social media from older times that have dried up.

He obviously forgets that many of his pro-cyclist buddies he claims to have also ride two-abreast a lot... And they ride on the road too. Like the one guy riding alone up the Madeleine. A fairly narrow road this guy would have us believe is totally unsuitable for bike riders. :roll:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:59 pm

On the question regarding the fundraising - the link I saw is here:
[Removed - please read below for the updated link]

Double-check the details to verify this is legit (organiser, how money is to be used).
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Dave Sharp has announced that the fund is closing as the family have started their own - no indication of where that fund is however

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:Dave Sharp has announced that the fund is closing as the family have started their own - no indication of where that fund is however
It's another GFM, I'll try to dig the direct link
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Dave Sharp has announced that the fund is closing as the family have started their own - no indication of where that fund is however
It's another GFM, I'll try to dig the direct link
Here we go, direct link to the Frewer family Gofundme

Smooth roads and tailwinds brother :cry:

EDIT, those close to Cameron have asked me to pass on their thanks to BNA members for the wonderful messages and support.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:
trailgumby wrote: ...
If you could contribute to either of the two fundraisers for Cameron's family it would be a great mark of respect.

Can anyone provide links ?

Thanks TG for the added background. can't think of anything else to say ... :cry:
Try this. Link copied from the BQ site so I think you can contribute with confidence.

https://www.gofundme.com/campaign-for-cameron

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 am

Some background - original fund is being closed, money goes to family. The new fund (linked above) is the current place for donations.
Cycling is in my BNA

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:21 pm

trailgumby wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
trailgumby wrote: ...
If you could contribute to either of the two fundraisers for Cameron's family it would be a great mark of respect.

Can anyone provide links ?

Thanks TG for the added background. can't think of anything else to say ... :cry:
Try this. Link copied from the BQ site so I think you can contribute with confidence.

Thanks - I'll get onto this tonight.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 pm

I can't make the rides tomorrow but Anne BQ says there will be a ghost bike placed next week. :cry:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:26 pm

trailgumby wrote:

Thanks.

Donation made.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:52 pm

queequeg wrote:Ivan over on the DFROC hate page has also posted another rant about Cameron and has truly lost the plot.
That's beyond the pale. Like seriously effed up.

Is this bloke well known in Qld? Like, enough for people to know where he lives?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 pm

fat and old - it is exceptionally poor behaviour and sometimes it just has to be ignored. They thrive on attention so this attention needs to be removed. Simply report the page and content and then move on to concentrate on things that matter and contribute to humanity.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:03 am

An open letter which Cameron penned days before he was killed has been published:

Courier Mail: Full text of Cameron Frewer’s letter from beyond the grave

This is well worth reading as it is a detailed outline of the continuing 'threat' to cycling safety. A thread in the Cycling Safety and Advocacy section has already been started is is the appropriate place to discuss the content and themes of this further:
BianchiCam's Open Letter
Cycling is in my BNA

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:39 pm

I don't think I ever spoke with Cameron. But browsing the boards this week I've been struck by how many of you did, and how this has impacted many of you. My condolences to his family and all who knew him.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:59 pm

This news.com.au article has highlighted his efforts:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 58cd4cf5d5

But it conveniently skips over the role News Ltd outlets have played in stoking the rage against bike riders. We've seen it again and again in their reports. I hope this is the start of that changing and not just temporary sympathy while the death of Bianchicam is a 'hot topic'.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:58 pm

g-boaf wrote:This news.com.au article has highlighted his efforts:
And yet, the first comment from "Dave" continues the "f**** off you f****tard" line.
Dave
3 hours ago
Cyclists are prone to danger when on the roads; there is no contest between an car and a cyclist. Cyclist should not be on the road unless there is a dedicated lane for them. If they use the roads they should pay rego and carry both third party and accident insurance. Otherwise, cyclists should ride on the foot paths and give 1 meter distance to pedestrians, but should still carry third party and accident insurance.
And it survived 3 hours of "moderation".

Of course this is all filed under "technology/motoring" not "national/crime/police misconduct"

Did I say "clickbait" out loud?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 pm

All media should be challenged to disable comments on any cycling related story.
No good can possibly come from the rubbish that gets posted by the general public on this topic.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm

From Bicycle Queensland.

PUBLIC MEMORIAL SERVICE TO CELEBRATE THE LIFE OF CAMERON FREWER

On behalf of Cameron's widow Catherine, his beloved children Lachlan, Oscar, and Heidi, and his parents Peter and Margaret, we would like to invite you to attend a memorial service in his honour.

WHEN: 2pm, Friday 23rd November
WHERE: Gregson & Weight Chapel, 5 Gregson Place, Caloundra

The chapel service will be followed by a brief afternoon tea before continuing on to a public wake at the Dicky Beach Surf Club at 1A Coochin Street, Dicky Beach. Details of the wake are still being confirmed, but Cameron's family would like to have a ride from the chapel to the beach.

The family has requested that we wear bright colours and cycling gear or jerseys, and anyone who would like to ride to the service is encouraged to do so.

Please join us in paying our last respects to one of Australia's gentle giants of cycling advocacy.

People always say tell your family you love them. Cameron was the guy who went above and beyond. He showed them he loved them, every day, through his actions. He was a hero to his kids and will be lovingly remembered as a proud family man and fierce champion for a better world in which to live and ride.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 pm

Dammit! The only day I can't make it. :cry:

I'd encourage anyone in SEQ who can wangle time off on Friday afternoon to go and support the Frewer family. He was a gentle humble bloke who devoted huge amounts of time to make the roads safer for all of us.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 am

trailgumby wrote:Try this. Link copied from the BQ site so I think you can contribute with confidence.

Nice to see donations are up over $22,000, which I assume is in addition to the $10,500 raised in the other fund

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:09 pm

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Mububban wrote:Interview with his wife :(

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 290d9e5bf7

From the article ....

On Wednesday, the Queensland Government said it would support complaints about enforcement to the powerful Crime and Corruption Commission.

.... wonder whether it's legit or another platitude from the mouth of a toothless tiger???
Go!Run!GAH!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Cheesewheel wrote: From the article ....

On Wednesday, the Queensland Government said it would support complaints about enforcement to the powerful Crime and Corruption Commission.

.... wonder whether it's legit or another platitude from the mouth of a toothless tiger???
Anne Savage don't take crap from nobody. And the media loves a story that embarasses the government and the police. They mess with her at their peril.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote: From the article ....

Anne Savage don't take crap from nobody. And the media loves a story that embarasses the government and the police. They mess with her at their peril.
soooooooo good to hear! at long last. we so need someone who calls a spade a f***** shovel. watching with great interest and cheering from the sidelines because i'm sick of hearing how quiet diplomacy is the correct pathway to change. Nup. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 pm

I’m was so very sorry to hear about Cameron and my sincere condolences to his wife, family and friends. I desperately wanted to attend his funeral while in the area but unfortunately I was in the Nambour hospital at the time.

RIP Cameron