Specialized S3 helmet - first use in the heat.

il padrone

Specialized S3 helmet - first use in the heat.

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Just bought a new helmet after the previous one took one too many knocks in a few falls on the sandy roads of Central Australia. I lashed out and bought a nice Specialized S3 from my LBS.

Now many will know I post on the MHL thread against the crackpot rule. But the law's the law and I have been wearing a helmet since long before it anyway. So helmet use is my choice as I am a fairly high mileage rider and also do a bit of MTB trail riding. This S3 is a great helmet!

Riding yesterday in 37 degrees, doing 60kms through the hills of South Gippsland, I was certainly hot enough, and sweaty. But that was the result of the conditions. What I did not have at all was any sort of sweaty brow or sweat running down into the eyes (which every other helmet I've used has done in similar conditions). The fit system is very comfortable and easy to adjust, and the flow-through ventilation is exceptional - great deep channels in the helmet keep the air rushing through. At the brow the pad is separate from the helmet and allows air to pass through, which I guess is helping to evaporate the sweat more rapidly and prevents the pad becoming sodden and dripping. Whatever the action is, on a 37 degree day it worked very well - top marks :D .
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Alien27

Re: Specialized S3 helmet - first use in the heat.

Postby Alien27 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:55 pm

I guess it must be a individual thing. I had a cheap RJays one that worked really well but cracked in in a big stack. I upgraded to the S3 and can't stop the sweat dripping down on to my classes and eyebrows. Really comfortable other than that though.
Tom

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Does the brow pad sit against your forehead? Mine does, but I've heard others complain that the front of the helmet 'floats' about and sweat just runs down. It is no doubt a head shape thing, because I personally just don't see it. Perhaps people with a very round head don't get the forehead contact. I believe people of Asian descent struggle to get many helmets to fit, due to their very round head form.
Mandatory helmet law?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:58 pm

My last helmet was a Specialized Align, i found it 'cupped' my head much better than any of the others (especially, and most notably, the S-Works), so the helmet was contacting my head all the way around rather than just at the sides or front and back.
However it was terrible for sweat gushing down my forehead, the pad there would get loaded up with sweat and then every time i moved it would release a torrent. After smashing it in a crash i replaced it with a $18 Rosebank helmet from Big W which is pretty similar in that respect. Doesn't look as good but that's just an excuse to ride faster so no one gets a chance to see it :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm

ldrcycles wrote:However it was terrible for sweat gushing down my forehead, the pad there would get loaded up with sweat and then every time i moved it would release a torrent.
Sounds like every helmet I've had for the past 15 years. My S3 did not do this on Saturday in 37C with hills.

[Happy]
Mandatory helmet law?

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Running an S Works Prevail myself. Little bit mushroom head, but light, comfy and well ventilated.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Highly recommend Halo sweatbands if you find the salty stuff running down your forehead! Been using them for 6months now and won't ride without one. About $15 off Amazon :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:48 pm

MarkG wrote:Running an S Works Prevail myself. Little bit mushroom head, but light, comfy and well ventilated.
Haha good name for it mushroom head :D they are enormously bulky especially the large shell size.

Mine fits really well. The pad sits against my forehead and it works until saturated then I'm not sure what happens. But the sweat drops down on my glasses.
Tom

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 am

after all the talk on this forum about cheap big w helmets being as safe as any other pricier brand of helmet, I went out and got myself a cheap helmet from Big W.

Compared to my slightly pricier Limar, it is definitely less comfortable, something I didn't really consider thinking about too much when trying it on at the store. Kinda like the difference between wearing a old worn in set of jeans vs a new stiff pair. Not sure the old helmet "wears in" though. Next time round ill probably look at getting something in the $60 Bell helmet bracket.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:48 pm

HAKS wrote:Highly recommend Halo sweatbands if you find the salty stuff running down your forehead! Been using them for 6months now and won't ride without one. About $15 off Amazon :)
+1 dont leave home without your halo
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:55 pm

I use and recommend headsweats.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"