Specialized 29er Disc Sports rim wanted

Specialized29er

Specialized 29er Disc Sports rim wanted

Postby Specialized29er » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 am

I have a Specialized 29er Disc Sports and the rear rim has 2 broken spokes and our local cycling shop said they can replace the spokes but can't retention them.
Does anyone know where I could purchase a brand new rim.

ozdavo

Re: Specialized 29er Disc Sports rim wanted

Postby ozdavo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Sounds weird that they can't retention them? (But this will really depend on damage to the rim.
If you were to replace the rim, and try to use the same hub & spokes, you will need to get exactly the same rim (or atleast one with the same profile). So you would need to order one from a Specialized dealer. With this and labour costs of having the wheel rebuilt, I doubt you will get out of it for less than $200.

Your best bet if to look for a second hand rear wheel or wheelset.
Where are you located?
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Can't retension? Strikes me as an odd thing to say, unless you've severely bent the rim by hitting something with force and they can't get it back to reasonable shape without having wildly differing spoke tensions. Is this what they're meaning?

I'd suggest it would be more economic to buy a complete wheelset. I'm told you can get Hope Hoops from Chain Reaction that have the excellent Stans tubeless rims for $500-odd for the pair - will be tougher and lighter and a substantial performance upgrade. Much better than 200 to 250 and using your own hub

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

Specialized29er

Postby Specialized29er » Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 pm

The problem is the shop has a bad mechanic, they did replace the spokes but had trouble retensioning the rear rim so it now has a slight wobble. There was no damage to the rim except for the broken spokes and they are a Specialized dealer.
I was told they can't get anything new that originally came on my 2012 model and not even the Specialized seat which I want for my Merida Crossway 100. Does anyone know if we can order parts direct from Specialized Australia or do we need to purchase from a dealer.