SRAM recall ALL hydraulic disc brakes STOP USING

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:46 pm

This was raised earlier today in a thread (I started a few days back because of the number of disc brake recalls):
Do all Road Disc Brakes have problems? - TRP Recall

It is important so needs it's own thread.
SRAM wrote:On November 4th SRAM identified and announced a technical issue with respect to a narrow production range of its RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Road Brakes. At that time, it was described as a performance and safety concern with no reported failures in the field.

It has recently come to our attention that during last weekend’s Cyclocross racing in the US, in sub freezing temperatures, several failures were reported. In these conditions the master cylinder seals failed to hold pressure resulting in abrupt loss of brake power, and an inability to stop the bike. These failures are related to product that is outside the originally stated date code range and unrelated to the original failure mode. No injuries have been reported to date.

As a result of this new finding, SRAM requests that anyone who has a bike equipped with SRAM Hydraulic Disc or Hydraulic Rim Brakes stop using the bike immediately. All products shipped to date, and currently in the market or in inventory will be recalled.

Further, we are asking our Bike Brand customers, OE factories, Distributors and Dealers to cease all sales and shipments of SRAM RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Road Brakes. A total of approximately 19,000 brake systems have been shipped to date into the global market.

Quarantine efforts currently underway with Factories, Bike Brands, and Distributors will be broadened to include all Dealers with inventory on bikes, or as Aftermarket product. Additional information related to timing and replacement of product will be forthcoming.

As originally announced we have reported this issue to the US CPSC and will be cooperating with the agency to announce a Safety Recall. We will also be contacting and working closely with appropriate like agencies in Europe and globally.

SRAM engineering and manufacturing is committed to the highest Quality standards. On behalf of all employees at SRAM we apologize for the business disruption to our customers business and to the individuals who have placed their trust in our products.
Cycling is in my BNA

ironhanglider

Re: SRAM recall ALL hydraulic disc brakes STOP USING

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Or don't stop whilst using them apparently. :)

Cheers,

Cameron

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:45 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Or don't stop whilst using them apparently. :)

Cheers,

Cameron
How's the veal?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Yup SRAM .. that sums it all up

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:30 am

Sith1 wrote:Yup SRAM .. that sums it all up
Can't agree, follow the link above - there have been a lot of recalls across many brands for road disc brakes.
Cycling is in my BNA

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:03 am

Much as I hate disc brakes and take tremendous glee in hearing this, I do have to admit it's unlikely many people (especially in Australia) will be riding in sub zero temperatures.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:34 am

Why take glee in this? I just don't get why you would feel the need to take pleasure in the fact that a company has identified an issue and is fixing it...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

Because disc brakes are evil and things like this will hamper their uptake. Petty I know :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 am

The majority of people who ride with SRAM be it disc or Red 22 that I know personally are having one issue after the next .
The front derailleur is a big deal sticking point too
I take no glee in a product that fails ... I do take glee that it's identified

zero

Postby zero » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:07 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Much as I hate disc brakes and take tremendous glee in hearing this, I do have to admit it's unlikely many people (especially in Australia) will be riding in sub zero temperatures.
Anyone in the southern tablelands/highlands/canberra etc that goes for an early morning ride in winter will do this (even our prime minister will be doing this come winter). I do this a few times a year myself, and I have to slow or stop the bike to giveway to change lanes on a highway bridge, and I have to stop for a couple of red lights when I get into town. (ie I use the brakes once per 5kms or so, which means they'll fully cool to ambient temp through being exposed to airflow. Deore disc brakes function perfectly in such conditions.

Also I note with equal amusement (hoping that nobody crashed), Trek is recalling several bike models with the problem that the front rim brake caliper falls off, also leaving the bicycle with no front brake.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:24 pm

SRAM have just announced a dedicated website for customers with the Hydraulic Disc Brakes:
http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Customers are requested to register in order to stary up-to-date, for example when a solution is available.

The provide further information regarding the nature of the failure:
SRAM wrote:Since our recall announcement, SRAM has received a number of inquiries related to reported incidents of brake failures in sub-freezing conditions. Our analysis shows the cold temperature accelerates the failure of the seal, but that also the sealing could fail in normal temperatures. As a result SRAM would like to once again ask all individuals riding bikes equipped with RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Brake Systems to STOP RIDING bikes immediately.
Also, this is provided in the FAQs
SRAM wrote:Is this recall only temperature related?
Sub zero temperatures seems to have amplified a weak sealing issue and accelerated failure. We believe there is a possibility that the sealing issue overtime can also manifest itself in normal temperatures.
And I would like to share the following FAQs
SRAM wrote:Why should I trust SRAM?
At SRAM we believe in the power of bicycles. Our mission is to create components and experiences that inspire consumers and expand the potential of cycling. We know that you too share this passion, and that cycling for you is more that just a hobby – but a lifestyle. It’s with great difficulty that we find ourselves having slightly veered off this path. We will earn back your trust and enthusiasm through great products and service.

My brakes feel fine, can I ride them?

No. Please stop riding them immediately. We need you to register your name and contact information here so that we can advise you best on next steps.
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:19 am

Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Latest... in brief is that SRAM are looking at a cable pull replacement disc brake as an option and the suggestion is that it will take a while for a hydraulic solution.

I sympathise with SRAM on this. It isn't a nice situation for SRAM, for their distributers and dealers and for customers but they are doing the right thing and reacting before there are accidents - as painful as it is to the brand.

News suggests there are actually more hydrualic disc brakes in circulation with a suggestion of 38,000 units in the US alone which includes brakes on unsold bike and in stock (and not sold).
Cycling is in my BNA

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:36 am

Ohhh, this is sad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:38 am

Is this a by product of the rush to market given the competitive pressures? It's not a good idea to use beta-testing for hydraulic brakes. Nobody can be killed or injured from bad software.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:19 am

Surprised that they didn't do more cold-weather testing during the R&D phase. The say they could re-create the failure mode in the lab (after they broke in the real world) but you'd think some management heads will roll for not assessing the failure mode in the first place.

What did Cadel say last year about bike manufacturers being in such a hurry to get stuff to market that it's not really ready?

I turn more into a retro grouch the older I get. I'm hanging onto my 8-speed Shimano 6400 groupset until it turns to dust, and I'm never going to 11 speed.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:42 am

There is nothing wrong using newer innovations and technologies. We just need to understand the risk as a result of convenience.

While most of the new products are driven by marketing, they are all focused on bringing new experience to people. (And obviously to keep the business alive).

No one is stopping us from using older and proven reliable technologies but imagine our world today if all bike companies have stopped developing newer products. I am probably still riding a Shimano 600 equipped bike and paying a premium for an ancient proven design.

I am happy to use DT shifter equipped bikes. But there is also an appreciable experience when I am riding bike with sti's.

+1 to SRAM courage on this product recall. This only shows that they have a heart of a responsible company.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:19 pm

__PG__ wrote:I turn more into a retro grouch the older I get. I'm hanging onto my 8-speed Shimano 6400 groupset until it turns to dust, and I'm never going to 11 speed.
Oooh, does that mean the Corretto will be on the market soon? :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:30 pm

rheicel wrote:+1 to SRAM courage on this product recall. This only shows that they have a heart of a responsible company.
Courage? Surely this is a legal obligation. I don't see what courage has to do with it. And even if it is voluntary at this stage, this is damage control, pure and simple.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:09 am

I Disagree RonK, while all companies should do this, they don't. There are too many big companies that sweep things under the carpet.

In the bike industry, we may also first hear about a recall when it is mandatory and not when it is known. And a known issue in the USA with an official recall may not be officially recalled elsewhere such as Australia even if it would be the right thing to do.

As tough as it is, facing up and doing the the right thing is honorable.
Cycling is in my BNA

galdar

Postby galdar » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Got mine replaced with sram red 22 cable brakes quick smart. Big thanks to Fusion cycles for getting it sorted quickly. Now the waiting game for the new hydro begins.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:51 am

That's a credit to your local bike shop.
Cycling is in my BNA

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:00 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Much as I hate disc brakes and take tremendous glee in hearing this, I do have to admit it's unlikely many people (especially in Australia) will be riding in sub zero temperatures.
Actually, the first guy to get seriously hurt was in Australia.

galdar

Postby galdar » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Sram update this morning:

"Please note, our new Model Year 15 hydraulic brakes will be available starting in the second half of April."

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Finally its official http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... Id/1055317
Bike shop emailed on Monday to get serial numbers and start the process rolling.