Noisy 105 5700 drivetrain

davesday

Postby davesday » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi everyone,

My bike's 105 5700 seems to be on the noisy side. It is properly adjusted/tuned and there's no issues with shifting. There's no metal rubbing either. The front crank turns smoothly when chain is removed. The noise was eventually tracked to the 2 jockey wheels, particularly when they are dirty. They quiet down considerably after being degreased, cleaned and re-lubricated. But within a span of 2 weeks (or 150km) the noise comes back again. During my ride this evening the noise was so distinct I decided to cut short and returned home.

I cleaned the chain again. This time with RnR Gold (previously I use TF2) and made sure I wipe all the grease off the chain the best I could. I also rubbed and cleaned the jockey wheels. Lastly I applied a few drops of the RnR into the jockey wheel bearings (both sides). Now the noise has gone back to normal levels but I suspect they will return soon.

I want to find out from any owners with similar groupset if this is normal. My bike is ~3 months old and has clocked ~400km by now so its relatively new. Thanks.

Dragster1

Re: Noisy 105 5700 drivetrain

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:09 am

It's normal to get chain buzz after everything beds in and it gets louder as your drive train wears. Just make sure your chain isn't over stretched but I doubt so at 400kms. When chains get a bit dry they seem to buzz a bit more, I relube at about roughly every 250kms, depends on riding conditions also. Nothing to panic about, mine gets so loud after not lubing it that I think someone is drafting behind when it echoes off of fences and riders hear me a mile away and move over when passing.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:44 am

davesday wrote:Hi everyone,

My bike's 105 5700 seems to be on the noisy side. It is properly adjusted/tuned and there's no issues with shifting. There's no metal rubbing either. The front crank turns smoothly when chain is removed. The noise was eventually tracked to the 2 jockey wheels, particularly when they are dirty. They quiet down considerably after being degreased, cleaned and re-lubricated. But within a span of 2 weeks (or 150km) the noise comes back again. During my ride this evening the noise was so distinct I decided to cut short and returned home.

I cleaned the chain again. This time with RnR Gold (previously I use TF2) and made sure I wipe all the grease off the chain the best I could. I also rubbed and cleaned the jockey wheels. Lastly I applied a few drops of the RnR into the jockey wheel bearings (both sides). Now the noise has gone back to normal levels but I suspect they will return soon.

I want to find out from any owners with similar groupset if this is normal. My bike is ~3 months old and has clocked ~400km by now so its relatively new. Thanks.
It happens occasionally, I've had a top wheel that was noisy when I shifted to the top gear on a deore derailleur - I just lubed it a few times and it stopped doing it. If bike shop won't fix it properly during a service then I'd just buy a new set of wheels from the internet, or just the bushes if someone sells those.

davesday

Postby davesday » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Dragster1 wrote: Nothing to panic about, mine gets so loud after not lubing it that I think someone is drafting behind when it echoes off of fences and riders hear me a mile away and move over when passing.
LOL! Thats exactly what I experienced. It was dark yesterday and it felt like someone is following me.

Anyway that is good to know. I understand the need to re-lube the chain when its dry or clean when its dirty. But I only clocked less than 150km from the last lubing (presumably I did the re-lubing correctly - one drop of TF2 on every chain link/roller, on jockey wheels, on the shifting cables, on every link on the derailleurs). I wonder how some cyclists could get magical mileage out of every lubing?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:46 pm

davesday wrote:- one drop of TF2 on every chain link/roller, on jockey wheels, on the shifting cables, on every link on the derailleurs.
Gee, that must have been fun...:lol:
Last edited by RonK on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

davesday

Postby davesday » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Indeed. It was almost borderline OCD and I come to a point of questioning if that's really necessary. My LBS told me to lubricate the shifting cable at the bottom bracket and toward the RD to reduce friction, so I thought lets go further. LOL!

I'm going cycling later in the evening and see how it goes. Now I just to need to find out the other clicking sound. I think its the headset.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:33 pm

RonK wrote:
davesday wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:- one drop of TF2 on every chain link/roller, on jockey wheels, on the shifting cables, on every link on the derailleurs.
Gee, that must have been fun...:lol:
I think you quoted the wrong person :lol: 8)

davesday

Postby davesday » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Strange... I click on the person who posted that ;-)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Dragster1 wrote:I think you quoted the wrong person :lol: 8)
Fixed that - just Tapatalk having its usual struggle with nested quotes. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:28 pm

davesday wrote:Indeed. It was almost borderline OCD and I come to a point of questioning if that's really necessary.
Use Rock 'N' Roll Gold. Apply it liberally to the dirty chain as directed. Wait a few minutes, wipe off the excess, dirt comes off with it.

It is a good idea to lube the other points, but not necessarily as often as chain.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:01 pm

I have 105 5700 also, replaced my rear derailleur a few months ago and it was very noisy.
Replaced the jockey wheels with BBB wheels and it fixed it.

tomlaulau

Postby tomlaulau » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:31 am

The jockey wheels on 105 only use rollers which has a bit of play..that could explain why it is noisy.

I used to have 5700 and it is particularly noisy when using KMC chains I have found.

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:16 am

RonK wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:I think you quoted the wrong person :lol: 8)
Fixed that - just Tapatalk having its usual struggle with nested quotes. :)
All good :-)
Rex wrote:I have 105 5700 also, replaced my rear derailleur a few months ago and it was very noisy.
Replaced the jockey wheels with BBB wheels and it fixed it.
Thanks for chipping in. So does that mean your previous 105 5700 RD wasn't as noisy? I might purchase those wheels and try it on myself. Seems reasonably straightforward.

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:21 am

By the way I had to also lubricate the cable joints (where it meets the container) otherwise shifting becomes problematic. There was one time I had a small slip at the rear cassette when applying pedaling force on a slope. Loud bang but the chain didn't move a gear. Turns out sometimes the cable got stuck and releases when there's flex upon pedaling. The mechanic says it needed some adjustment to the cable tension and to lubricate the cables (or change to teflon coated cables all together) as it's a normal issue for the Falco Elite 2014.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:14 am

Yes you need to lube the cable. Just buy some Cable Magic and put a few drops down there every now and then and that will take care of it.
I've had x3 105 5700 RD's and they've all been noisy.
BB jockey wheels were like $12, don't need any maintenance and just work. I think very highly of all BBB products as a matter of fact :)

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:11 am

Thats good to know that its a normal maintenance issue (and nothing wrong with the bike!). I'll note this down for later upgrades.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:28 am

At 105 level even if you do need to replace a part they're pretty cheap in general. A whole rear RD is about $50.
Hardest part is diagnosis :)

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:52 am

another vote for BBB jockeys - well actually a vote for remembering to check and replace jockey wheels full stop picked up some BBB ones with stainless bearings and have silent running gear
interesting to know that are a different bearing design to Shimano just swopped out the jockey's on mrs antigees 105 and sticking to the "no messing with components" rule fitted Shimano ones - nowhere as near smooth running

not sure if everyone will agree but if I'd had a cable stick would consider replacing it and the outer - lubricating will improve the situation but you might see a marked improvement in shifting with a well fitted replacement

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 pm

tomlaulau wrote:The jockey wheels on 105 only use rollers which has a bit of play..that could explain why it is noisy.

I used to have 5700 and it is particularly noisy when using KMC chains I have found.
Yes, interesting that is by design as it compensates for RDs that are slightly out of tune or aid in shifting.

One more question for everyone. My cassette is 11-27t and RD is short cage. In this case, does the B-tension screw effect anything? I know the principle but no matter how tight or loose, it doesn't bring the upper jockey close enough. Perhaps the 27t cog isn't big enough to matter? I've now found a sweet spot that seem to make gear shifting smoother. The B-tension does alter the angle of the RD slightly throughout the rear cog range. Question is where do I leave it?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:09 pm

The B-tension is primarily used to set the clearance between the big sprocket & top jockey wheel. If you're not mashing teeth when on the 27, then it's fine.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.