campag 11 speed and existing hubs

eeksll

campag 11 speed and existing hubs

Postby eeksll » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Hello all, wandering if anyone can give any knowledge of putting the 11 speed campag cluster on a existing (piror to 11 speed coming out) hub.

I have dt swiss rr1450 wheels which has a hub "based on 240s" but when googling it its hard to figure out which hub people are talking about. I am worried people are talking about the the newer hubs with the same name and hence their results might not apply to me.

If there are issues, is the only issue whether or not the cassette goes on properly? i.e so if I where to go buy myself a campag 11 speed cassette, fit it on the wheel/hub and lets say it fits, I have no other fit/comparability concerns to worry about? (so I can drop the 1k at ribble for the full groupset)

thanks for reading.

Duck!
Expert

Re: campag 11 speed and existing hubs

Postby Duck! » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Campag 11-sp. is fully compatible with existing hubs. It's only Shimano & SRAM (who have adopted the Shimano pattern as before) that require specific hubs.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm

I'd be cautious - I've noticed posts on the Campy Only forum from people who have had issues with the cassette binding when fitting 11 speed cassettes to wheels with DT240 hubs. Read them here and decide.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes I guess thats enough doubt in my mind to shell out for the campag cassette first and I guess in the long run it wont go to waste.

Any opinions/ideas on this?
eeksll wrote:If there are issues, is the only issue whether or not the cassette goes on properly? i.e so if I where to go buy myself a campag 11 speed cassette, fit it on the wheel/hub and lets say it fits, I have no other fit/comparability concerns to worry about?

richbee

Postby richbee » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:43 am

The splines are the same so getting it on won't be a problem. Don't know about the cassette fouling the spokes, I'm running one bike Campy 10s and the other 11s and happily change cassettes over between the 10 and the 11 without issues. Admittedly Fulcrum wheelsets for both, but I've noticed the additional overhang for the 11s is on the dropout side rather than the spoke side so frame rub would be more an issue on older frames with narrow & straight chainstays.

Where to buy - in Brisbane I'd give you more than one shop that will have stock, or can get it in within a day or two, but if you're willing to wait ten days, Wiggle or c r c will be a good 50% cheaper than local prices.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 pm

thanks richbee, I guess I can wait a little longer and buy the full groupset after I get the frame.

just had a look off wiggle 11 speed campag cassettes are expensive !!! I was thinking I'd be able to get one for $70 ... hmmm ...

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:35 pm

eeksll wrote:thanks richbee, I guess I can wait a little longer and buy the full groupset after I get the frame.

just had a look off wiggle 11 speed campag cassettes are expensive !!! I was thinking I'd be able to get one for $70 ... hmmm ...
Ribble is probably best for Campag bits, or failing that Germany (Bike24 or bike-discount.de). There are other good UK stores too, but Wiggle and c r c are not among them.

Edit, a quick look shows me Wiggle is more competitive with these consumables now, so I may be wrong. Still, it would be worth checking out the Germans and some other UK stores.
Last edited by Jean on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 pm

eeksll wrote:just had a look off wiggle 11 speed campag cassettes are expensive !!! I was thinking I'd be able to get one for $70 ... hmmm ...
Well, when you do find them for that price please let us know where... :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 pm

yeah poor initial researching from my part. I initially specc'ed up the full groupset from ribble to see if I could afford it and it didnt seem overly expensive, about the same as ultegra I think. Was expecting the cassettes to be of similar price ...

might mean Ill have to reconsider and get the 10 speed stuff. Anyone still stock the 10 speed athena/record?