That "ping" sound

ValleyForge

That "ping" sound

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Strange to relate but my riding partner & I broke our respective FD cages at the same time - him while riding the BeatCancerTour in Adelaide, and me while riding the Three Valleys in Brookfield. So one of us got kudos, and it wasn't me.

Ordered the replacements via my LBS (Record/SR are the same) only to discover that Campagnolo now fix the plastic tailclip with glue and you can't get it off the carbon blade. Cue up changing the whole thing over; but just the way I tell people not to do it - late at night when the light is lousy, using the wrong tools when your in a hurry...

Then the telltale "ping" as the circlips disappear across my garage. After quietly panicking, found an assorted circlip set at Bunnings. No, no-one knew what the were, even less where they were. They are called e-rings (?) and M4 is the size, in with the pushpins & hexnuts - who'd have thought :roll: .

Then loaded up the tension spring with a well directed shove and it's back to normal.

The moral: Do as you tell others and don't do fiddly jobs at 11:30 on a Friday night before a big ride!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.